Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had Echo and the puppies in yesterday to have the puppies front and back dew claws removed and the vet said they look in perfect health!!! And he said that Echo was doing really really good! She weighed in at 6.6 :shock: but thats normal after having puppies. She normally weighs 4.8-5.0. The vet said its because she is producing milk like a jersey c ow :lol: :lol: She has so much milk! No concern with her getting Mastitis because the pups are nursing her down very well. I am so pleased at my mom dog she is raising 2 happy and healthy sons :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm glad everyone is doing so well. :)

What are dew claws? I thought they were the inner claws on the front paws. Why do people have them removed? I'm wondering if I didn't do something to Frasier that I should have.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Frasier's Mommy said:
What are dew claws? I thought they were the inner claws on the front paws. Why do people have them removed? I'm wondering if I didn't do something to Frasier that I should have.
Yeah that's what they are. Some breeders get them removed and some don't. I think that they can get caught on things??? My boys have never had problems with theirs though.

Good to hear her and her babies are doing so good! :wink:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Kari said:
Frasier's Mommy said:
Yeah that's what they are. Some breeders get them removed and some don't. I think that they can get caught on things??? My boys have never had problems with theirs though.

Good to hear her and her babies are doing so good! :wink:
Then which one is the dew claw on the back foot?
Frasier only has 4 back there.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
some feet have dew claws some don't. my dog's dew claws are all different some only have one, some have it on all feet. they get them removed usually when they are "floppy" those pose more problems for the dog like getting caught on something then getting ripped off.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Lori I am so happy that Echo and her babies are doig so welll... it soundslike she is doing everything that a mommy could do for her babies...

Gadget has his dew claws still and the nails hardly grow... I only cut them like every 3rd time I cut Gadgets nails...

I haven't noticed them getting stuck or caught on any thing either...

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
a lot of the time owners don't cut the dew claws( happens mainly with long hair dogs) i seen it a lot while doing baths at the hospital, the owners do they nails but don't know about the dew claw and it is starting to curl into the leg. then it has to be cut and then pulled out from the skin it started growing into. also with german shorthair pointers and other breeds like that they risk getting the dew claw snagged in brush and stuff when they are hunting in the fields. chiwi's are kinda floppy but not so i'm not sure if we will have them removed during the spay or not...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I know I have heard horrible stories about dew claws... But since I got Gadget so young,... I didn't know you were suppose to do it when they were just a few days old... I can't bring myself to make him go through that now that he is older.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dew claws in the back are higher up than the paw. And the front ones are like where a thumb should be. I have them removed on all mine because. 1. sometimes those are the one that are forgotten to get clipped and they can grow into the foot :? 2. If you are showing they need to be removed front and back. They are supposed to be done at 2-3 days of age. but can be done later in life under Anastasia like when they are being neutered or having their teeth cleaned. I just like to see a nice clean leg.

Bigger breeds are very common to have dew claws, Like Labs, rotties, Golden's but it is very common in the toy breeds too.

Here are some pictures

Front dew claw

Back dew claws

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Lori you got me looking now... I had to check out Gadgets back feet to make sure I wasn't missing something here.... Nope he doesn't have back dew claws..... just front ones.... but they seem to grow slower than the rest of his nails...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gadget's Mom said:
Lori you got me looking now... I had to check out Gadgets back feet to make sure I wasn't missing something here.... Nope he doesn't have back dew claws..... just front ones.... but they seem to grow slower than the rest of his nails...

Most people leave the front ones its pretty normal. I like removing both give the legs a cleaner look. And it make is easier for my new mommies and daddies :wink:

They do grow slower because they are all cartilage not bone. Well should I say most are all cartilage not bone :wink:

Thats why it should be done 2-3 days. SO it doesn't form into bone. Then they can be snipped off without having to dig out the bone because they are brand new and it is all cartilage :shock:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
LOL Me too! Frasier is 8 months and here I am holding him down looking at the bottoms of his back feet just to be sure. :D He wasn't cooperative because he's alreay had a bath and had his ears cleaned today.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts