Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I posted yesterday, I'm getting my little Chi Chloe soon. So, I went around pricing vets. I obviously want to go to a vet because they are a good vet, not just because they are the cheapest. But a reasonable cost would be nice, too. It's been a couple of years since I've had a dog, and I live in a different city now that costs more to live in. The prices here seemed hirer that what I'm used to. It's $250 for the yearly visits including all of her vacines and normal tests and everything. So, I was wondering if that seemed like a reasonable price? It seemed high to me, but maybe it's because I haven't priced it in a few years and this city cost more. In the grand scheme of things it's not really that much if it's only once a year, but I also don't want to get ripped off. Thanks for the input!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
That sounds cheap to me. But then again I'm living in a busy city.
Here it is 300$ for 1 year worth of basic vaccines for a dog.
The vaccines themselves aren't too pricey, but each time you see
a vet it costs 45$ just for the quick check up. You can always call
around different vets in your area and ask how much they charge,
in order to do a price comparison.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I noticed you are in Alabama. So am I. I am just outside of Mobile, but Alabama is big! I don't think our vets are that much, but it has been a while since I have had to pay for all shots and everything for a puppy.... I took a break to go look up receipts for payments and I guess I am wrong. One visit for last set of puppy shot before Gidget would get her 1yr shots was right at $100. so I guess total 1 yr shots would be around $300. if added up.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
They only need shots every 3 years, though, after puppyhood. And then, only rabies. After the 1 year DAP2 shot, they should never need or get another one. Vets, of course, will tell you otherwise. But they just want your money.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Mine have had puppy shots and one Rabies shot. They have had no other shots.

Moving forward they will get Rabies only and I will move to the 3 year. I cannot remember what I paid for the annual Rabies shot. This year they will also be tested for heartworms so perhaps that is also part of the cost.

Our office visits are cheap. Like $20-$30.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in Birmingham, AL. It would be a normal check up with the rabies, heart worm test, oral dewormer, intestinal parasite exam, Kennel cough booster, lyme booster, and DA2PPL booster. This would be after she's a year old. I wanted to see how much it would be for the future. Since the puppy visits are extra and won't happen again. That's good to know about the rabies shots! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, I kept calling some more and found on that's $140 for yearly visits. I'll have to look into making sure they are a good vet, but that sounds a lot better!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Also, I kept calling some more and found on that's $140 for yearly visits. I'll have to look into making sure they are a good vet, but that sounds a lot better!
It's also important to find a vet you can trust, that really cares for pets. I'm in the same boat your in. I've had the same vet for 18 years but have lost faith & trust in them. Looking to find vet a little closer to home with 24 emergency vet care and reasonably priced. They're so hard to find!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I am in Ga and we have low cost clinics. Holly's breeder gave her the first 3 rounds of puppy shots. I bought the vaccines and took them to her as I could not give it to her myself even my Mom with nursing experience would not do Holly said she was so small she couldn't do it. Then for her 4 month I had her puppy shots and rabies done at a low cost clinic which was 35.00 and then I bought her 6 months of heartworm meds for 20.00. So I have spent roughly 80.00 for everything and she is good for a year now.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Because this made me curious, I called our Vet. The annual Rabies shot is $15. For just immunizations, they do not add on an office visit. Heartworm check is $30.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Can I ask why on earth you are all going to the Vet annually? Is it because you are forced to have Rabies shots every year or is it just a cultural thing over there? I'm really confused.

I've had many big dogs who've lived <> 1.5 decades, they've been to the Vet for their puppy shots, and then once again to be put down when the time came, with nothing in between.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Here we have to have rabies shots, either one year or three year shots. We are having an outbreak of rabies in my town right now, some rabid bats are bitting cats, so there is still a reason we need to keep up those shots. The rest are optional. Mine get the puppy series, then the year booster, then nothing after that but rabies. And they only see the vet if something happens.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ah, ok that makes sense - so if you have the rabies shot every 3 years, is it a much stronger/concentrated dose of the drug or just that it lasts for 3 years rather than 1? If it actually lasted for 3 then that's how often I'd be going and to heck with any council or statutory authority who tried to make me do different.

Can't take any chances with those damn bats, we've got massive big fruit bats here that don't even have to bite to spread their deadly virus that has killed dozens of horses and some Vets/Staff who've attended them. I actually think it's an airborne virus that just drifts everywhere. Our moronic Govt protects the deadly, feral, crop damaging, good for nothing things which makes it even worse. (spoken like a true farmer).

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I typically pay 45-60 per office visit, and 18-25 for a shot. The vets around here do not charge for an office visit when you are just coming in for a shot.

Here is about what I spent for my dogs first year:

$50 first office visit
$22 per shot for two DHPP shots
$18 for rabies
$35 for microchip
$95 for neuter/pain meds

I had both of my dogs spayed/neutered at a low cost clinic, they provided the pain medication and everything in the price.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Dee, the one year rabies and the 3 year rabies are EXACTLY the same. The only thing different is the labeling on the package. Rabies is dictated by local and state ordinances here. It varies depending on what part of the country you are in. Here we can do 3 year rabies. Some places are really behind the times and are still doing the 1 year.

To the OP - research and learn about vaccines. You don't need lyme or bordatella. The only vaccines you need are distemper and parvo as a puppy and a rabies at 6 months or later. Then do titers. All the rest of it is NOT needed.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Tracy would you mind posting the vaccination links you have posted before?

I have not done 1 year "boosters". Since they cannot be boarded due to Hope's issues, they will not get Bordatella. Want to be certain that I am not missing anything else but plan nothing more for them ever but Rabies.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

I have not done 1 year "boosters". Since they cannot be boarded due to Hope's issues, they will not get Bordatella. Want to be certain that I am not missing anything else but plan nothing more for them ever but Rabies.
Karen, I think you are 100% on the right track!

here's a great link with lots of info:

Vaccination protocols

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Dee, the one year rabies and the 3 year rabies are EXACTLY the same. The only thing different is the labeling on the package. Rabies is dictated by local and state ordinances here. It varies depending on what part of the country you are in. Here we can do 3 year rabies. Some places are really behind the times and are still doing the 1 year.

To the OP - research and learn about vaccines. You don't need lyme or bordatella. The only vaccines you need are distemper and parvo as a puppy and a rabies at 6 months or later. Then do titers. All the rest of it is NOT needed.
Well, there you go OP, if you can get them done only every 3 years where you are, that would be by far the best option. If they allow you to supply results of Titers Tests in lieu then definitely go for that every time.

If you do a lot of research about vaccines, flea & heartworm (annual injections) you'll know more than the dang Vets about the dangers involved, how they pass the buck when fatalities occur and how the drug companies turn their backs.

As Tracy says ONLY Distemper & Parvo, they're the grim reapers of the dog world, everything else is just fear mongering & money making tactics. Far better to treat the others IF they come down with something than to subject their poor little bodies and organs to deadly diseases & reactions from a syringe.

I have several friends, including my Bro who's a USA trained Doc who won't immunise their children - I try not to research what goes into us & our pets these days because it's absolutely terrifying, from everything we eat, breath, drink to what they pump into us via a needle or tablet.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
They only need shots every 3 years, though, after puppyhood. And then, only rabies. After the 1 year DAP2 shot, they should never need or get another one. Vets, of course, will tell you otherwise. But they just want your money.
I am curious because you show some of your dogs, right? Do you have to provide proof that the dogs have been vaccinated? Do you do anything differently since you show?

Karen, I remember you took one of your girls to obedience class. Did they hassle you because she had not had a bordetella vaccine? There is a training facility here that requires a certificate showing the to attend class. We are going to a Petco class and even though they did not require it my vet recommended it so stupid me had it done without researching it first. I should have asked you guys first.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts