Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have it? and if so, where do you get it? Do you like it? Why or why not?

We currently are enrolled in a Banfield (Petsmart) wellness plan and have accident insurance through the ASPCA. When our wellness plan is up, we'd like to get something different so we can go to a different vet office. TIA!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have pet insurance through PetCare. I got this particular "brand" because it is affiliated with the company that supplies the microchip both my little ones have (24 hour Petwatch). They gave me a discount for having the microchip. I decided to get it because one of my big boys is going through some very expensive medical treatment right now and I thought that it would be worth it for the piece of mind that it provides.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use Petplan.com. Go here to read pet insurance reviews. (ASPCA didn't get great reviews.)
www.PetInsuranceReview.com.
Mirdle is only 12 wks and we have not used it yet. However, this is why I like them.
They don't do a "payment schedule" which means if your vet charges $100 for a service and your insurance deems the payment only worth $50, then you might be stuck with the rest. I hate payment schedules. I don't like the control that these companies have. I pay $50 a month for Mirdle's insurance and there are a few options to choose from. If you choose the $8000 a yr plan that means if your dog gets hurt and the vet bill is $4000 then Petplan asks no questions and pays that entire bill. You still have $4000 left until the end of the yr if your dog gets hurt. I choose the $12,0000 a yr. policy. There is also the $20K policy. You submit your own bills and the ins. company pays you back. As with most companies there is a "pre-existing condition" clause. Read that part carefully. Petplan does NOT pay for regular vet visits or spaying. This is a good "catastrophic" plan.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think we are gonna go with PetPlan. It's 1.00 more per month for the middle plan than our accident plan with the ASPCA but has much more coverage and no payment schedule. My Chi is much more expensive than my Yorkie Mix.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
We are in the UK and are with Pet plan, and wouldn't use anyone else at the moment. Have always been quick to settle and no problems.

We insure mainly for the big issues that you pray will never happen, but which sometimes do :(
We had to have Jago's patella fixed before he was a year and it cost nearly £1000, 6 or so years ago!

I wouldn't be without it, you just pay your premiums and realax knowing you can afford the very best vet care for as long as they need it :)

Barbara x

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
We use Pet Plan for the cat.
They are always quick to pay bills which works out very nicely
For treatment we only have to pay the 1st £50 they pay the rest. It excludes vaccinations, spaying/neuturing etc but does cover lifetime conditions such as diabetes etc etc. I know i will go with pet plan when i get my chi, it is slightly more expensive than some other cover but what they offer is well worth it x

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
We use Pet Plan for the cat.
They are always quick to pay bills which works out very nicely
For treatment we only have to pay the 1st £50 they pay the rest. It excludes vaccinations, spaying/neuturing etc but does cover lifetime conditions such as diabetes etc etc. I know i will go with pet plan when i get my chi, it is slightly more expensive than some other cover but what they offer is well worth it x
I agree :)

If we add to the family, she will be insured immediately!

Barbara x

·
Registered
407 Posts
My sister did with her dog, and only used it once.

I chose not to one because its expensive and two my vet is really cheap, always on call and is able to see her if something serious was to happen no matter the time of night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used this site. They have a user-friendly interface and contain information about the main insurance companies that insure animals. Eventually I found a company where insurance cost me $ 300 a year

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I'm curious because we've never had pet insurance and paid out of pocket but we moved a couple years ago to an area of NY that we are finding to be insane prices for vets. Our older chihuahua came to us as a rescue with bad teeth. Three years ago she had to have 3 of them removed. The total cost was around $1200 for all three and we found that we were very lucky to have that price.

Her remaining teeth have never been great and she lost one a couple years ago. We take care of her teeth twice a day but always have a fear she may need more taken out. We called a few of the less expensive vets just in research when we were looking for a vet here and they quote the same price for the extraction of one tooth that we had originally paid for three. Does this kind of insurance cover dental procedures like this one?

·
Registered
530 Posts
This applies to vet insurance in the US. I don't know about other countries.

The only bad thing is you still need the entire bill up front, even if you have vet insurance. So if you don't have $1,000 to $2,000 (and your bill is that high), then it's not going to be much help. Luckily, I have several thousand dollars of CareCredit to use and some money saved up if anything happens to Cuddles.

Most vets around here aren't willing to do payment plans, either. I guess they got ripped off too many times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts