Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I adopted a rescue chihuahua last week, a male named Roscoe. We have changed his name a couple of times but since he loves to cuddle and sleep, we have decided on dozer.
Anyway, I took dozer and Mimi to the vet yesterday for a wellness check. I just knew they were going to tell me that dozer was way overweight at 10 lbs, and Mimi was the right weight.
Boy was I wrong! According to the vet, dozer is slightly overweight, she can feel his ribs and he has a nice waist taper. I really thought he was overweight considering his little neck roll...
She said Mimi really needs to lose weight! I was shocked! She is so tiny! She weighed 7 lbs, but the vet said she should weigh no more than 5 lbs. Said her ribs were not easily felt and her waist taper was not as evident!
Mimi runs and plays all day long. Dozer sleeps all day long and really doesn't play.
Maybe I am going about my own diet the wrong way! I have been going on walks and dieting without seeing any kind of results. Maybe I need to take Dozers plan and sleep all day!:D

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Wow, two extra pounds on a chi that size is a lot! Do take the dogs with you on your walks? Yea, I'd start working on taking off some weight with mimi. It's hard on her joints too.

Congrats on your new rescue..good for you to give this baby a second chance <3

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, two extra pounds is a lot, but I just don't see it. She does go on walks with me, and I am working on getting Dozer used to a leash. He has a terrible fear of leashes and ropes. There was a rope laying in the yard and when he saw it, he ran the other way! Someone did something very mean to him with a rope.
I will get her weight down, I was just totally surprised that she was the one that needed to lose a few pounds!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Was just about to ask the same thing......Dozer and Mimi's ages, and can you feel Mimi's ribs at all?

It's hard to see from your profile pic, but from the looks of it, Mimi seems fine and Dozer looks overweight. Hmmmm.....do you like your Vet? Been going to him long?

If Mimi really is that overweight, you need to get that weight off her quickly or she's going to start developing joint issues if she hasn't already. Not to mention the strain on her heart to be carrying an extra two pounds. If her ideal weight is only 5 lbs, then that extra is almost half her ideal body weight.

Think of that in human terms. I'm 5'7", 140 pounds, about 10 pounds over my idea weight (dammit menopause!) So my ideal weight is 130. If I was carrying an extra 65 lbs (half my ideal weight) I'd be considered obese at 195 lbs. I'd certainly be very, very miserable. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mimi is 2 years old. Dozer, they are estimating at between 4-5 years old. I just started going to this vet, yesterday was my first visit. When I go home today for lunch, I will see about getting some better pictures and check if I can feel her ribs. I know it isn't healthy for their joints and heart to be overweight. That is why I assumed Dozer would need to lose some weight and get some excercise as he just lays around all day..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts