Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello- I took my recently rescued, 10 year old, male chihuahua to the vet today to examine his mouth. He has only 3 teeth left in his mouth on his lower jaw that are horribly discolored and his gums are inflamed. As a result his breath is unbelievable. It's so bad that it affects the time that we can play with him as it's unbearable, smelling like a combination of feces and rotten fish. We gently brush his teeth and gums nightly but it only helps for a few minutes.
The question is, the vet insisted that she save any teeth that aren't 100% rotten , saying that, "He needs them to support his jaw." He already always has his tongue hanging out most of the time due to only have the 3 teeth left. It seems ridiculous to keep these teeth that will need to be cleaned with his aging body under anesthesia yearly if he's not using them to chew with anyway. It's a risk every time that they go under and seems unnecessary.
Have you ever heard of this before? Should we find another vet who will remove the 3 remaining teeth to end his suffering?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Our very $$$$$ specialized vet dentist doesn't seem to think that having no teeth is all that terrible.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If he has teeth that are 'poisoning' his systems, then he needs them removed. There are many little dogs without teeth around. Puppy mill dogs do have jaw problems, but I think that is because of the terrible nutrition and care they get.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Many very old tiny dogs do end up with no teeth at all...I'd get a second opinion/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts