Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i'll start with a happy start to this post :lol:
here we go says Aries the Kitty while drivin!

let me say....she was soooooo calm in the car! it was amazin...she even fell asleep while the sun was hittin her! calmest kitty ever in a car....lol~ my bf's other kitty Hylus was very girly and all last time we took him to the vet

ok so here we go....

1st off Dexter weighed a whopping 9.13 lbs :shock:
anal sacs were expressed and i saw a little gunk coming out but it wasn't impacted or anything at all...
vet was worried about his hairloss on his fur throughout his body plus flakes. i told her he gets dry and flaky during the winter time a lot..she suggested a Senior Profile Bloodwork....so will be getting the results for that tomorrow afternoon...i hope it's all good news as she said it might be Cushings Disease... :(
the other sad news i got was that she said his left hind leg seem to have a little bit of Luxating Patella. she said that he can get surgery done to fix it but it will pop in and out by itself...sigh i really didn't want him getting this but somehow...he did...this upsets me so bad...i hurled when i got back home to the boyfriend's...
She also gave me some spray for his hair...hoping it'll help. it's called Virbac Humilac...a daily spray to help

2nd: Aries the Kitty now the background of Aries was that was a kitten found in front of the boyfriend's apartment building...and was picked up by him. we also found out that her and the littermates were all abandoned outside and the mom was killed by poisoning on cat food outside...one of the people from the building was doing it to get rid of all the street cats. we were fostering her for a bit trying to find a good home but no one wanted her as she wasnt vet checked at that time. turns out....she's Leukemia free! :) which is awesome! she's perfectly healthy and got her first vaccine today.

calling around 12 pm to get the results for Dexter...please wish us luck :confused:

p.s: sorry if this was a long update

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks jan for the sweet words and everyone else. turns out its not cushings...but liver issues. its mild right now and he needs some kinda med called drenim or dernim and after 45 days need another bloodwork. they said it can be anything from hepatitis to cancer...so nomore salty treats from pet stores. ill be ordering kona chips tonight and some more coconut chips and coconut oil....nomore of that salty delicious tastin treats anymore...lol my poor baby :( have to mix in canned food with some of his homemade things now if anything...i knew him eatin once a day wasnt normal

thanks for readin... :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I am replying to this in order to have someone tell me in detail how to post a message on this board. I am SO DUMB with computers!

I hope this little guys liver tests will be better after the medication. Sue

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Dr Dodds has a liver cleansing diet that is very good if you want to home cook for him.

Liver Cleansing Diet and Milk Thistle

I would ask for a fasting bile acid test to check for a liver shunt. You need to know what you are dealing with.... hepatitis vs liver failure vs cancer, etc.

Denamarin is a holistic supplement that might help .... I would also do therapeutic doses of milk thistle.

Nutramax Laboratories, Inc.

Do you have his liver enzymes available? I wonder how high they were.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
When Bijoux had her liver tested they said also that lack of drinking can cause issues. Bijoux thinks she's a camel she never drinks...it's an on going issue when ever I have a water bottle she drinks out of it just so I make sure she's drinking some.

Not sure if that would have any impact but if he is a camel like Bijoux is this could help.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Honestly a balanced diet probably would go a long way for him. I know you say he won't eat dog food but he WILL if you can just force yourself to hold out a bit. I know its easier said than done tho. Sorry you are dealing w/ liver issues...keep us posted, poor Dex!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I posted on your FB a long reply about the liver disease. Dex will be alright. He'll just have to get used to eating right and possibly taking a medicine.:eatdrink:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Aww poor Dex and poor you. :(
I hope it's manageable and not serious.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts.
Take care and keep us updated.
HUGS.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Aires kitty is so cute ! :)
i'm so sorry to hear Dexter is having liver issues. hope the medicine will help, and the diet change will help. ( i know nothing about liver problems but i was reading about the cushings disease after reading this post and now i want to have Tootsie tested. she displays some of the symptoms mentioned )

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dr Dodds has a liver cleansing diet that is very good if you want to home cook for him.

Liver Cleansing Diet and Milk Thistle

I would ask for a fasting bile acid test to check for a liver shunt. You need to know what you are dealing with.... hepatitis vs liver failure vs cancer, etc.

Denamarin is a holistic supplement that might help .... I would also do therapeutic doses of milk thistle.

Nutramax Laboratories, Inc.

Do you have his liver enzymes available? I wonder how high they were.
i have googled milk thistle...and found too many choices. do you know which one is the best one? they all seem to be different prices... :( thanks tracy! i'll have to try my best to keep things all organized in my head...right now everyone is giving me different methods and its all too confusing to deal with. i just want my dexter to eat his meals for now. i grinded up his boiled chicken, with some organix grain free canned food, carrots, strawberries tonite and he only ate a little bit of it, he wouldnt touch it in the kitchen but when i brought it in to "our" room he had a couple nibbles

When Bijoux had her liver tested they said also that lack of drinking can cause issues. Bijoux thinks she's a camel she never drinks...it's an on going issue when ever I have a water bottle she drinks out of it just so I make sure she's drinking some.

Not sure if that would have any impact but if he is a camel like Bijoux is this could help.
he drinks plenty of water believe me...he also drinks catsip milk which he loves

More reputable information on home cooking a liver diet ....

Liver | B-Naturals.Com Newsletter
thank u :)

Honestly a balanced diet probably would go a long way for him. I know you say he won't eat dog food but he WILL if you can just force yourself to hold out a bit. I know its easier said than done tho. Sorry you are dealing w/ liver issues...keep us posted, poor Dex!
thank u for the reply :) im tryin my best to get him to eat it now more than ever...

I posted on your FB a long reply about the liver disease. Dex will be alright. He'll just have to get used to eating right and possibly taking a medicine.:eatdrink:
thank u so much shelly<3 lol cute emoticon to make my night

Aww poor Dex and poor you. :(
I hope it's manageable and not serious.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts.
Take care and keep us updated.
HUGS.
i hope so too LS! will do~

Pidge, best wishes to you and Dexter. I would try Tracys suggestions, she is very knowledgeable about so many things.
pam thanks so much yes she is knowlegable in so many things lol. i know that she always puts in like paragraph after paragraphs of replies LOL :lol:

Aires kitty is so cute ! :)
i'm so sorry to hear Dexter is having liver issues. hope the medicine will help, and the diet change will help. ( i know nothing about liver problems but i was reading about the cushings disease after reading this post and now i want to have Tootsie tested. she displays some of the symptoms mentioned )
elaine! thanks she is a cutie patootie :] eek....i hope thats not the case for Tootsie! thanks so much

thank u everyone for the replies! :albino:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts