Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Delilah and Tico in to see the vet today. Tico weighs a very healthy 4 pounds 11 oz. He gained 3 oz since I got him. He got his rabies shot. We discussed getting him fixed, the vet said he could after getting pre-op blood work but admitted that it would be very stressful on him both physically and emotionally, so I just don't know. He does desperately need a dental, just like Twiggy. So I will be mulling it over for a bit. His sight has gotten a lot worse lately, too. Nothing to be done about it, he still gets his drops during the day. I anticipate him going completely blind sooner rather than later. Pisses me off that it was preventable if his former owner only took a bit of care of him.

Delilah weighes 4 pound 8 oz, a gain of only 3 oz. They did a fecal that was negative. I am not sure why she is not gaining very much, but will keep giving her the extra food. Vet thinks she is a lot younger than I thought, about one year old. The vet examined her pelvis and hips and she has absolutely no pain, so that's good. She got her distemper and parvo shot and as soon as she gains some weight, will go in to be fixed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Aww. I'm sorry to hear about Tico's blindness. I know it's hard to compensate something that was preventable... But i'm glad he has a better owner who will love him no matter what.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Awww pour Tico, what is causeing his blindness and what could have been done to prevent it? I am glad he has found a good home now.
I hope Delilah will put on some more weight, it's frustrating when you try to get them to gain weight and they don't

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had suspected that my lily had worms for MONTHS when she was a pup. She would eat get really round then get super skinny (with in hours). My vet (a family friend) was very annoyed but I insisted on weekly fecals and they never found eggs. The whole animal hospital thought I was nuts bringing in samples weekly but i was CERTAIN it was worms but of course with out proof they werent going to prescribe anything. All of them were negative. The fecals were all negatives and I mustve had them done for 3 months. Then one night I caught her scooting and saw a worm actually come out of her rear end. So gross but I was actually happy because all this time I knew I had been right... she had tape worms a form of worms that typically dont show up in fecals (although they do get rice like segments stuck to their tush and in the bedding). After 3 rounds of oral treatment they finally had to give her a the painful injection to get rid of them. they were holding off on the injection because it burns.

Im sharing because it really could still be worms so keep an eye out for rice like formations, just incase.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BABIES <3!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awww pour Tico, what is causeing his blindness and what could have been done to prevent it? I am glad he has found a good home now.
I hope Delilah will put on some more weight, it's frustrating when you try to get them to gain weight and they don't
While I can't be 100% sure, the consensus was that he may have lived his whole life in a wire cage. Maybe as a puppy mill stud dog. He was in such awful shape when I found him, no fur on his belly and haunches from living on a wire floor, full of worms and filthy with his nails about 1 1/2 inches long and curved under. When I got him, I thought he was a brindle color until his first bath, then found out he was a beautiful red. He lost the sight in his one eye from repeated eye infections that were never treated. It is shrunken and hard. The one left has dry eye from repeated eye infections. He has some sight in it, but it is getting worse. He can't find me in the back yard anymore even in the day light. I call him and he will wander over and wait for me to walk over and pick him up.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think Delilah is one of those that doesn't gain very well. She has a great appitite, but just is not gaining much.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had suspected that my lily had worms for MONTHS when she was a pup. She would eat get really round then get super skinny (with in hours). My vet (a family friend) was very annoyed but I insisted on weekly fecals and they never found eggs. The whole animal hospital thought I was nuts bringing in samples weekly but i was CERTAIN it was worms but of course with out proof they werent going to prescribe anything. All of them were negative. The fecals were all negatives and I mustve had them done for 3 months. Then one night I caught her scooting and saw a worm actually come out of her rear end. So gross but I was actually happy because all this time I knew I had been right... she had tape worms a form of worms that typically dont show up in fecals (although they do get rice like segments stuck to their tush and in the bedding). After 3 rounds of oral treatment they finally had to give her a the painful injection to get rid of them. they were holding off on the injection because it burns.

Im sharing because it really could still be worms so keep an eye out for rice like formations, just incase.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BABIES <3!
Thank you. She is not scooting her bottom, but I will keep a close eye on her. I do inspect all her poops just to see if I can see anything. I never have so far.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aww. I'm sorry to hear about Tico's blindness. I know it's hard to compensate something that was preventable... But i'm glad he has a better owner who will love him no matter what.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi so sad to hear about your little ticos eyesight thank you for finding him and takeing such good care of him i wish the world had all good people like you

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Poor little Tico. I'm so happy that he has found such a great home with a Mom that loves him so much and will take excellent care of him. Best of luck with the weight gain too. Sometime these lil boogers just don't gain. :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts