Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Romeo had been home since friday night :)
which has made us both very, very happy :p

The vets still have not decide what is wrong but are treating him for a liver shunt / MVD and seeing if it helps.

Romi is now eating Canned Hills Prescription diet - L/D, but i'm going to pick up the dry stuff from the vets monday night as thats the form he normally eats.

He also is on ampicillin twice a day and lactulose 4 times a day.

He ate every thing i gave him today which is a relief and he hasn't been sick since he's been home.

I'm hoping we is now on the way to working out whats wrong and solving the problems.

I'm due to call the vet on thursday and we will then decide weather to open him up or not. They haven't found a shunt on the two ultrasounds so they need to find it or rule it out.

I think thats all the info that I have to pass on.

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and prayers so far.

Sarah & Romi

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Sara,

Romi is definitely in our prayers. Bella has a liver shunt and she has been on l/d since we got her last August. Her previous owner was feeding her regular food that she fed her Bulldog! I doubt she even knew Bella had a Liver Shunt. Bella hates the l/d and I have added Mixeables with it which has a only 8 % protein count and she is tolerating it. We even tried the dry l/d and she doesn't even like that. For $50 a bag we just returned it. I am looking for something else to feed her so if you find anything else pls let me know.

I hope Romi is well and again you are in our prayers.

Ness and Bella

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Sara,

I glad to here that Romi is doing better. I hope the vet finds out soon what the problem is.
My Kira has just been diagnosed with a liver shunt, it's quite upsetting. Kira isn't showing any symptoms yet, they found it on the blood test she had before her scheduled spay which has now been delayed.
We're waiting for the results of a protien c test which is supposed to tell us if she has an internal or external shunt, then we'll know how to proceed. So far my vet is suspecting an external shunt and is telling me she would proceed with surgery if the results confirm her suspitions.
Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Romi jumped about when I got home from work today - i'd forgotten just how bouncy he can be!
He is eating the canned food well, if he doesn't like the dried I can return it, and will even eat it with his meds on it!
I'm really hoping that this diet is going to be the start of the fix.
S x

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Congrats on his recovery so far! I'm really hoping that he was turned the corner now. Here's hoping he keeps eating the good food!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thanks for the update. I hope they can figure out what is going on soon and if not then I hope the meds clear everything up.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi sarah when i read that little romi jumped when you came home happy to see you i almost cried thats a great sign something is right good luck with romis new diet hope all is well soon i know youll be relieved also you have to be exhausted from worrying well were all here for you and little romi

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello, misty has MVD/liver shunt. I found this group invaluable for advice and i belived they saved mistys life as her vet didnt have a clue. Liver_Shunt_And_MVD_Support : Liver Shunt & MVD/HMD Support

Misty has royal canin hepatic as lower protein and more palatable than the one you mention above i think.

Im sure your vet will have told you that the lactulose is better straight before food, on her food or straight after food and to feed around 5 small meals a dat to lighten the load on her liver.

Her poo needs to be kept sloppy at all times so have to adjust the lactulose sometimes. she was ill the other week with drolling again and i pumped lactulose in her for 24 hours and after a short course of antibiotics and diahhreah from hell she perked right up again.

I also give misty egg white for a special treat and watermelen and apples, lettice, pasta, peas to mix up her food a bit.

If you havent already seen the yahoo group website take a look, its a fantastic resource and its moderated with very knowledgable people and has a vet advisng them too, dr tobias who is just wonderful.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts