Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I am just a little slow but hopefully someone can clear me up on this. When Yoshi went to the vet for his first puppy shots 3wks ago at 9wks old the vet told me he was 1lb 4oz in which sounded about right??. Now today at the 12 1/2 wk ck up they said he was 1.9 lbs. I asked the lady up front and she told me that the last weight was 1.04 then, she said that this means he is not quite 1oz over a pound? and todays weight she said was just under 2lbs. But she said it was 1 lbs 9oz. Now could someone please tell me what the difference is and how much he has gained in 3wks? if he went from 1.04 to 1.9? I am horrible at math does it show??LOL!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vet confused

Yes that is what I thought but I am being told that he has gained almost 15 oz because 1.9 would mean 30.04 oz and from 1lb to 1.9 would be around 13 oz gained and if this is correct then the weight chart will be way off for me. I have been trying to keep track but if he is gaining that much in 3wks he is going to be a whopper! Growth chart does not even show that type of weight gain. Oh well it looks like it will just be a wait and see for me. Unless anyone has any suggestions. I have heard that if you take his 13wk weight and double it then you would get his adult weight but I guess that probably would not work in this case either huh?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: vet confused

Yoshismom said:
Yes that is what I thought but I am being told that he has gained almost 15 oz because 1.9 would mean 30.04 oz and from 1lb to 1.9 would be around 13 oz gained and if this is correct then the weight chart will be way off for me. I have been trying to keep track but if he is gaining that much in 3wks he is going to be a whopper! Growth chart does not even show that type of weight gain. Oh well it looks like it will just be a wait and see for me. Unless anyone has any suggestions. I have heard that if you take his 13wk weight and double it then you would get his adult weight but I guess that probably would not work in this case either huh?
I don't think those weight charts work much for every dog. I tried to figure Hershey's adult weight but I just gave up. Just as long as she is healthy.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget weight gain was 6 to 8 ounces a month in the first 6 months... last I had him weighed he was just shot of 7 months and he had only gained 3 ounces since he was weighed at just before 6 months.

I will take him in to get weighed again next week... I try to get in at least once a month until he is 1 year... I just want to make sure he is gaining ok weight... He surely is starting to look slimmer these days.. I have also noticed that he hasn't been eating as much as he used to eat.... I think his growing slowing down has slowed down his eating.....

If you take the weight at 12 weeks timmes it by 2 and add a pound that is how much he/she should weigh give or take not every dog will grow the same way....

But I did the math a while back and it said Gadget should be about 4.5 pounds. He was 4lbs 3 oz when I had him weighed last.....

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had the same problem at my vet...the vet tech said she was 2lbs. 4oz (which would be 2.25lbs.) but the scale said 2.04lbs. I wasn't too concerned, as long as she isn't losing weight it's fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts