Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a thought this morning, if it is dangerous to put your chi on the ground outside because of dog virusses and diseases, then surely that means if you've been walking outside and they chew on your shoe or bottom of your jeans then they can catch the diseases from them too???

Do you think this is possible?
Lexi is fine, but I have banned shoes from being anywhere near her just incase.

How come the books don't warn you about this?! :roll:
I am possitive that it's possible and yet they don't warn you about it.

:wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
after leaving the iso ward you have to step in a disinfectant bucket. so yeah i think it can spread, especially parvo through the bottom of your shoes.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
yes Viruses can spread from shoes expecially Parvo. If your pup has had all it's vaccines and is kept uptd. dont have much concern. They should be able to fight it off

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just barely found that out when I first joined this forum :shock: . I'm glad my past pets haven't gotten anything. They say it can be carried anywhere like on shoes, clothes, pet droppings, anywhere animals roam around, etc... Pretty crazy stuff huh?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that the books and leaflets etc should be a bit more specific about what is a danger to a young pup without all its vaccinations.
I only just thought about it recently, and the only thing my books say is don't let them on the street or to interact with any dogs you don't know to be safe.

How annoying, I mean, people have been leaving their outside shoes around her and my boyfriend has been a bit careless and let her chew on his trouser ends sometimes. I have been totally strict now and I don't allow shoes around her or let her chew on trouser ends.

:roll:

Can't wait till she's totally vaccinated!!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
after leaving the iso ward you have to step in a disinfectant bucket. so yeah i think it can spread, especially parvo through the bottom of your shoes.

Yep sure can!!! even spraying your feet with Lysol before you come in the house really helps :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If you guys are really worried about carrying in disease and parasites in on your shoes. Leave your shoes outside before you come in the door, or have a tupperware tray, put a towel in the bottom, and moisten the towel with diluted bleach. Each time you come in the door, make sure you step on the towel a few times to coat the soles with the bleach. This is what we use in isolation at the vets. Make sure your pup doesn't get into the bleach though!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
We don't wear our shoes in the house. We leave them in the laundry room and keep that door closed.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
All my life, or at least as far back as I can remember, I have left my shoes at the door. Even if I go to someone's house to visit I will ask if I can remove my shoes. I just don't get the whole concept of wearing shoes in the house. Winter, summer, whatever... I am always barefoot at home (and sometimes at work too). :wink:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Rachel I'm like that too. I feel so uncomfortable with shoes on in the house, no matter whose house it is! I do wear little ankle socks though. I never have been one to go barefoot. :wink:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
All my life, or at least as far back as I can remember, I have left my shoes at the door. Even if I go to someone's house to visit I will ask if I can remove my shoes. I just don't get the whole concept of wearing shoes in the house. Winter, summer, whatever... I am always barefoot at home (and sometimes at work too). :wink:
my mom and stepdad have their shoes on from the minute they get dressed in the morning to right before they go to bed :? my i never have shoes on. they are the last thing i put on right before i leave the house and the first things i take off when i walk in the door (well some days the bra comes off first lol) and i have my friends take their shoes off to come upstairs.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
You guys have to remember that it is not only carried in on shoes but on your clothes and hands as well. :? SO i think the neighbors and your friends will love you if you have to strip before you come into the house :lol: :lol: thats why I suggest Buy parvosol :wink: Spray yourself down BEFORE you come into the house. I do it every time someone comes over or one of us leaves and comes back. I know It a pain in the you know where, but if it keeps the parvo and bay then I will do whatever it takes especially with the new babies here :wink:

some useful info:

Parvo can be brought home on your shoes, clothes, hands, car tires. Parvo is infact not an airborne disease it is excreted in the feces of infected dogs, and if someone whether it be human, dog, cat, or bird, etc. steps in it or comes in contact with it, possible contaminating is high. Say for instance a bird picks around in an infected dog feces (which they do) and then flies over into your yard and decides to take a drink out of you dogs water bowl or picks at your dogs food bowl then your dog is at a high risk of that bird leaving the parvovirus in your dogs food bowl. Flies can also carry pravo so getting fly traps is a good idea I recommend a fly trap used for horse stalls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts