Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cosmo Bichon and Lavender Chihuahua are going to have a little dog visitor for a couple of weeks. My granddaughter's Yorkie, Samantha, is going to be staying with us. My son, Darin, has asthma and it's been giving him fits lately. The doctor thinks it may be the dog. I wonder since he's lived with Samantha for a long time and is just now having problems. He has a problem with mold in his apartment and I think it's much more likely that the mold is causing his asthma problems than having the dog there. I'm trying to get him to move. Anyway, Sammie is going to come and stay with me and Cosmo and Lavender for a bit and see if it makes a difference.

Now, here's the problem. Samantha is not potty trained. She is three years old and not spayed. I know ... but she's not my dog. She was only five weeks old when they got her. I know, I know ... She will be confined at my house, in her crate sometimes or in the kitchen on the tile. Otherwise, she will be tethered to me so I can watch her. I can't have her having accidents all over the place or I will have two of my own tempted to do the same thing.

My ex-daughter-in-law has been offered a new home for Samantha and I think they should take the offer. My granddaughter would be upset about that, of course. When my son and daughter-in-law divorced, she didn't want to be bothered with Samantha, so Samantha went to live with Darin. Sometimes a new home is a very good thing and I think in this case, it would be a good thing for Samantha and everyone involved.

I just need some encouragement, I think, that I can manage this little dog with no potty training and not very good manners. She won't come when called, doesn't like to walk on a leash, won't let you brush her or trim her nails, etc. This ain't my first rodeo, but she is going to be a challenge, I know. I am not interested in keeping her on a permanent basis. I plan on treating her like she's an eight-week-old puppy. Wish me luck!

Jeanette, Cosmo and Lavender

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Good luck!maybe you can train her, you sound as if you're committed ,then she wouldn't be the dog from hell anymore and you may even think about keeping her ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I think I can train Samantha, who was four, by the way, in January. Thought she was only three. No, I won't keep her permanently. She will either go back to my son and granddaughter, or go to the new home she has been offered. She did fine last night, slept in her crate without any fuss. She likes her crate. She's used to sleeping with my son or granddaughter, so that was new for her. She's a sweet little girl, smart and affectionate. She just hasn't been taught what she should do. She knows she's done something wrong when she pees in the floor, but just cowers and acts guilty. I'm going to try to show her how to pee on the potty pad and get praised for doing it. No scolding, no punishment, just gently show her how to do it right. She did poop on the potty pad this morning, got praised and loved on and got a treat. I'm treating her like a new puppy.

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Sounds like Samantha wants to please you which is wonderful..Our little yorkie, Abby, is one of the sweetest, most loving little girls ever.. They are very intelligent and intuitive little dogs who are highly motivated by praise and affection, so I feel you will be quite successful in teaching her what you want from her. I applaud your efforts to help Samantha, and think living with your trained dogs will be a big plus for her as well.. Every time we added a new pup to our gang, I always found our adults were invaluable in helping teach the new ones the "ropes" around the house..lol

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
yorkies are very smart, so you will have her trained in no time.
regarding the allergies, yorkies have hair as opposed to fur, so are excellent
dogs for people with allergies.
good luck

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like Samantha wants to please you which is wonderful..Our little yorkie, Abby, is one of the sweetest, most loving little girls ever.. They are very intelligent and intuitive little dogs who are highly motivated by praise and affection, so I feel you will be quite successful in teaching her what you want from her. I applaud your efforts to help Samantha, and think living with your trained dogs will be a big plus for her as well.. Every time we added a new pup to our gang, I always found our adults were invaluable in helping teach the new ones the "ropes" around the house..lol
Yes, well trained dogs are very helpful in training a new one. I took Samantha for a walk yesterday and she did great. I took her by herself, since it was the first time. She caught on very quickly that if she pulled, I stopped. When she let up, we moved on. She loved it and had a great time investigating the whole yard. She has been using the potty pads some, so she does know what they're for. She pooed and peed on the pad and got tons of praise for it. There is light at the end of the tunnel!! If she doesn't use the pad, all I do is pick her up gently, say no Samantha, and stand her on the pad and tell her good girl on the paper. Samantha is very sweet and I will love her and treat her the same as my two furkids. I'm treating her like a brand new eight-week-old puppy and she will get lots of praise and loving.

Jeanette

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yorkies are very smart, so you will have her trained in no time.
regarding the allergies, yorkies have hair as opposed to fur, so are excellent
dogs for people with allergies.
good luck
Yes, I know Yorkies are supposed to be OK for people with allergies. Darin has lived with Samantha almost all of Samantha's life, so I don't think she's what has set off his asthma attacks. I think it's the mold in Darin's apartment, which he is addressing. I think Samantha will do whatever I want her to do if I can get it across to her. She is sweet and loves it when I praise her and tell her she's a good girl. Grandma will hang in there.

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Thank you Grandma for sharing both Brianna and Samantha with us! I loved the pics, and as one Grammy to another, grandkids are awesome! All of the "goody" and none of the responsibility that comes with our "own kids!" We have one grandson who is 5, and granddaughters who are 3 (the twins), 8, and 10. Wow, so much happiness and love..lol
Samantha is an adorable little girl, and I am so glad she is with you now... and I pray she may be able to return to Brianna in the future. Blessings, Deb

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
visiting dog

Thank you Grandma for sharing both Brianna and Samantha with us! I loved the pics, and as one Grammy to another, grandkids are awesome! All of the "goody" and none of the responsibility that comes with our "own kids!" We have one grandson who is 5, and granddaughters who are 3 (the twins), 8, and 10. Wow, so much happiness and love..lol
Samantha is an adorable little girl, and I am so glad she is with you now... and I pray she may be able to return to Brianna in the future. Blessings, Deb
Many thanks. You have a great bunch of grandkids, and twins!! That's wonderful. Of course, I think Brianna is the prettiest, smartest, sweetest little girl ever. She isn't so little any more at 14 and is quite grown up. She will be in high school next year. That seems really impossible. She makes good grades, plays the viola and clarinet and she's the apple of grandma's eye. She lives just around the corner from her dad (with her mother and step-dad) and she keeps an eye on her dad, especially when he's having trouble with his asthma. It would take me about an hour to get to him and probably a lot longer since I'd be sure to get lost. Her dad "officially" has her every other weekend, but she spends a lot more time than that with him and stays with him over night when he's not feeling well.

It would be great if I could get Samantha potty trained and she would be trustworthy enough to go back home, but that's not going to happen in a big hurry, I don't think. She uses the potty pads one time and then doesn't the next. If she's out of the confined space in the kitchen, I keep her on a leash attached to me and put her back in the kitchen often, stand her on the pad, and tell her to "potty on the paper." She uses the potty pad in her crate, but that's normal since she doesn't want to soil her bed. I want her to go find the potty pad when she has to potty. They are scattered all over and she has access to more than one all the time. I think it can be done, it's just going to take some time. She's a sweetheart, actually let me comb her a little, although she doesn't like it much. I managed to trim her toenails, too. She knows what "no" means and minds pretty well, goes into her crate when told to, is very affectionate and gives me kisses.

I think perhaps it would be better to only have one potty pad/place and take her there every time. Maybe having more than one is confusing to her. I think they learn to potty in a certain place as well as on potty pads or papers, at least in the beginning of training. I live alone and don't want to be outdoors in all kinds of weather or after dark, so my two are paper trained. They will use potty pads, too. They have one place to potty and it's always in the same place, but I can move it a little way or give them a potty pad and they will use it if we're away from home.

Hug your grandkids for me. They are one of God's greatest blessings! You can spoil them to your heart's content and then hand them back to their parents. :eek:)

Jeanette

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Samantha has been with me for a week and four days now and we aren't making much progress. She pooped on the couch, which I've never had a dog do before. She's staying off the couch now. She does pee and poop on her potty pad in the crate, but not very often when she's confined in the kitchen. She doesn't give any warning about pottying, just does the deed. She's very hyper, jumps and runs around and won't let you pick her up. Have to catch her to pick her up. Got her some girl doggie panties and they stay on, which surprised me. She didn't think much of them, but forgot about them in a bit. I'm hanging in there. She's had four years to practice her bad habits and it isn't going to be easy to change them.

Jeanette

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on Samantha. Samantha has been with me for two months now and is doing well with her potty training. Not 100% trustworthy, but she's making good progress. She was spayed in June and got along fine. My son has finally made the decision to let Samantha go to a new home, which I think is the best thing for her. He has talked to my granddaughter, who was upset, of course, but is getting used to the idea. She has been away from Samantha for two months now and is getting used to it. Samantha is alone for at least 12 hours a day at their house. She needs someone who can spend more time with her. None of us wants to see Samantha go to another home, but it is the best thing for her. Sometimes the best thing to do is the hardest thing to do.

Samantha has been moved around some, three times in the last couple of years, so it's easy to understand how her potty manners slipped. She is very sweet and wants to please and I have fallen in love with her. We will be very careful about the new home she goes to. Samantha gets along with my two dogs, but she has always been an only dog and she is jealous of them and causes some upset. We are getting along fine though and will hang in there until exactly the right home for her is found.

Samantha would be the greatest little best friend ever for the right person. We're going to find that person.

Jeanette

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One step forward, two steps back!! With my son's consent, I have started actively looking for a new home for Samantha. A lady saw the flyer and wanted to come and meet Samantha, but she was not a good match. She worked long hours and had never had a small dog. She fell in love with Sammy, of course, and wanted to take Sammy home with her, but I thought not. She finally agreed that Sammy might be too difficult.

Then my ex-daughter-in-law told my son she knew of someone who wanted Sammy ... a man who has two other dogs and has medical issues. Darin said he was not a good match for Samantha ... she has tons of energy and the potty training issue. Someone who does not feel well would get worn out with her quickly and frustrated. My ex-daughter-in-law is just giving my son grief ... she's very good at that! She doesn't want Samantha and doesn't want to be bothered with her. That's how Samantha came to live with my son. I said if she wants to say where Sammy goes, she can take Sammy to her house and find her a home. She can also reimburse me for the hundreds of dollars I have spent on Sammy for vaccinations, spay, etc. So we are "on hold" for now, but will pursue an understanding that Sammy belongs to Darin and he can make the decision to let her go. Darin tries to keep peace because of his daughter, but I have no such compunction! My ex-daughter-in-law has to know what I think about her (she moved her boyfriend into the house where she, my son, and my granddaughter lived) and she should be happy that I am willing to expend money and time on Sammy's behalf. She does not want to hear what I think about her said out loud!

We are hanging in there and hoping to have the "all clear" to find Sammy a new home soon. Sammy is doing well with potty training and she is fine at my house. I have time and am willing to take care of Sammy with a view to finding her the perfect forever home one day soon.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great news! Samantha has found a wonderful new home. The rescue organization where I got Lavender agreed to put her picture and information on their website as a courtesy listing. The picture went on the website on Satruday and a very nice couple adopted Samantha on Monday. It's a great match and I think they will be happy with Sammy and she will be happpy with them. She will be an only dog and will be loved and spoiled like the princess she is. They are experienced small dog owners and are willing to invest the time and patience to reinforce Sammy's potty manners. They are in the process of moving, so won't be taking Sammy until some time next week. In the meantime, my son and granddaughter will come by to tell Sammy goodbye. That's going to be tough, but it's a good thing for everyone. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest thing to do. We want the best for Sammy and the right new home is the best thing for her. She's a sweetheart and there will be tears, but I'm very happy for her.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts