Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone who gives there dogs Vitamin D3? I really don't mean in combination with anything else such as a multi vitamin for dogs or Nupro or such as that, I strictly mean Vitamin D3. If so, what is the dosing amount you give for age/weight? Thanks. My vet recommends 300IU per 25lbs once daily of liquid Vitamin D3. I would think for chis that would be 100IU or less and a liquid Vitamin D3 I found at GNC that is literally 1 drop per day. Please advise what any of you do.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My vet says it strengthens their immune system. He says their body fights off bacteria or maybe bacteria doesn't have a place to attach to (I can't remember which way he said it). But it was something about fighting off bacteria better/better immune system.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Nope sorry. I've never heard of Vitamin D3 being given to a dog. Toby gets Nupro and salmon oil. Let me know what you find out about it, though.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i think you can get Vit D thru the sunlight being outside. My doctor has prescribed me to take vit D. i'm on a high dosage a few times a week. she did a blood test and my Vit D level was low.
so, it would make sense that it would be good for dogs too especially if they are indoor dogs ...

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elaine, I love your siggy! Yes, my mom also has to take doses of Vit D because hers is low. You are right--you do get Vit D from the sun, but my vet specifically believes it should be given to dogs also. I know vitamins/supplements are discussed on this forum, but I can't remember which ones or how they are administered. I know what my vet prescribed I just wanted to know what and if others on here also gave Vit D to their dogs. I can do a search and I will I just thought this would give a place for answers in one spot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts