Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What vitamins are good for Audrey? Since she is my first small dog, I am unsure of what may be needed. How about salmon oil, MSM, acidophilis, or glucosamine? What do you have you chi on? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You posted in the raw feeding section, so I assume you are raw feeding? Maybe post a sample menu of what exactly you are feeding and how old your chi is. Any health problems?

If you are feeding a balanced raw diet, the only additive you may need is salmon oil. And that is for the omega 3's missing from factory farmed (grocery store) meats. If you feed mostly grass fed meats, they have plenty of omega 3's.

I wouldn't feed acidopholus. Nor glucosamine. Unless there was a specific problem I was addressing. I think we need a little more info in order to help with supplements. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanlks for the reply, Audrey is 11 months and 2 days old. She's 4 pounds and a couple ounces. Her diet is raw and consists of Chicken, turkey, beef, pork, sometimes fish, and yesterday I found a store that carried lamb so I bought lamb for the firsh time. She gets egg now and then. And she gets dyhydrated duck and chicken as treats.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She's getting bones and also organs too, right? If so, then your diet looks great.

If you are feeding mostly organic or grass fed meats, then supplements aren't necessary. Having said that, I do like adding salmon oil just to cover all bases on the omega 3's. You can buy a reputable brand such as Grizzly or you can just get a fish oil capsule for humans and poke a hole in it and drizzle on food a couple times a week. Work up to it slowly as oils can sometimes cause loose stools.

Are there any joint concerns? Any luxating patellas in her relatives? Legg Perthes disease? Does she skip in the rear? If you don't have any concerns, then I don't think that glucosamine/MSM is necessary. Again, this is a use your own judgement situation. I do like to give chicken feet/duck feet as treats also as they are heavy in glucosamine in its natural form.

I don't use pre or probiotics or acidophalus. Again, use your own discretion. But usually they aren't needed unless you are dealing with digestive issues.

One of the great things about a raw diet is that the vitamins are already in there. NO need to add more. Fresh foods provide them in abundance. It is only when food is dried out and processed that vitamins and minerals are lost and have to be added back in.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes she gets her bone it chicken wings, and pork ribs too (those she doesn't eat much of thi, just gnaws on mostly) and she gets her organ meats as well. Ok so I'll stick to just the salmon oil. She has no health concerns what so ever. Her joints are great.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I like to mix up my oils...salmon, flax, wheat germ. I switch every week or so. I think the variety is a good thing. I also add in kelp and alfalfa powder @ a 50/50 ratio every few days (my pups are 3.5 to 7lbs, and I give about 1/16t. each) and I'll add about that much "C" powder now and then too. The only supps I give daily are one of the oils and egg shell powder, the rest is on a revolving basis along with my fresh pureed collard green/parsley type mix. I guess I am an eclectic feeder between the BARF and the SARF! Luckily I have a great holistic vet that keeps me on par:coolwink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts