Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else has a chi that is vocal?

Jadzia will grumble when we pick her up when she's sleepy, she growls and yips when she's playing with kira or with us, she'll grumble sometimes when I go to dress her, if I move the blanket she's under ....

Her grumbles remind me of a grumpy teenager lol.

Her growls aren't serious just .... well I don't know just 'expressions' for lack of a better description.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We don't allow growling from Brody. Unless they are playing with a toy and it's obviously just in fun, the growling you are describing is aggressive. You should be able to dress your dog, move her when he's sleeping, etc. without the threat of a growl. And yes, a growl is a threat. It is one small step from a bite.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I agree with Tracy

Daisy is v quiet she growls when shes playing with lotus but it's a dominance thing she never growls at me she wouldn't dare. I pick up both my girls whilst they are sleeping they wake up and move when I say so!! Lotus is v vocal and she is 15 weeks she growls yips barks all sorts but isn't allowed to growl at us!! She growls when she's unsure as she's v nervous but she gets corrected everytime abd she has not growled a stranger for a week now!!

You need to start correcting your dog and be a pack leader

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, we are actively working on limiting or correcting her when she does grumble at us or growl during play.
As you said it could escalate to a bite.
Also I don't want her to think it's alright to say when I can or can't handle her.

I was just not sure if I was reading her right.

The growling during play seems playful most of the time but sometimes I'm just not sure.

The grumbling at other times seems just like she telling me I'm annoying her.

I guess I'm not unsure anymore.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Who cares if you annoy her??? She has no right to tell you that!!! Puppyhood is a learning process but with things like that you have to be right on top of it!!! Be v firm

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thanks, we are actively working on limiting or correcting her when she does grumble at us or growl during play.
As you said it could escalate to a bite.
Also I don't want her to think it's alright to say when I can or can't handle her.

I was just not sure if I was reading her right.

The growling during play seems playful most of the time but sometimes I'm just not sure.

The grumbling at other times seems just like she telling me I'm annoying her.

I guess I'm not unsure anymore.

Thanks again
They are so tiny and their little growls are really cute. :) So I can see where it would be easy to just ignore. But even though they are tiny, they are still dogs, and a growl is a warning.

I wouldn't worry about growling during play! Growl away!

But NOT when you are doing something to her.... moving her, dressing her, etc. That growling is different. That is a warning to you to stop what you are doing. She is trying to elevate her status in the pack order. And that, you cannot allow.

What I would do is to reinforce your pack leadership. If you go to move her and she growls I would say NO! UH UH! Loud and in her face until her ears go back and she looks away from you. Then move her. And move her again. And again. Until she gets the point. Do not back down. Don't let her win.

This is just a test from her. A small bump in the road. But it could escalate to a bite pretty easily. So stop it now.

I'd also incorporate training to reinforce your status. She doesn't get fed unless she sits first. She doesn't go out any doors before you, you always leave a room first. Make her lie down or do something before she gets a treat or even patted on the head. You can google nothing in life is free training, which incorporates these methods. It's just a way of letting her know that you are the boss. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I was a bit wishy washy but no more.

Thank goodness for this forum and the folks on it who share info.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
One other thing..... (ha ha I'm on a roll today). I have no idea if she sleeps in your bed or not, but that is off limits at this stage. She has to earn her right to sleep with you.

This is one of the most confusing things to dogs. When dogs sleep in our beds, they are elevated to our level. They see themselves as equals. A behaviorist will tell you that a dog who is growling for whatever reason does NOT sleep in your bed. Maybe later, if you wish, and things are back in order.

So IF she's sleeping with you, back to the crate for now. Then once things even out, she can be back in bed with you later if you want her to be. Just thought I'd throw that in because teaching pack order to a dog that sleeps in your bed is very confusing to them.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'll add something else that others may not agree with, but I think it's the first, and often missed, signal of a chi trying to gain the upper hand. I routinely take treats away from my dogs. I give them back again, I'm not mean lol! But I want them to know that *I* am dominant, that I'm the pack leader, that I have control.

Jazz is completely docile. She doesn't like it, and may try and hold it in her mouth just a fraction, but she'll give it up when I say leave it. Tango doesn't growl and doesn't run away, but he'll turn his head away from my hand or try and back away with the treat. Sometimes his head turning is jerky, as if to say "No. This is MINE." That behavior is absolutely not allowed. That's a guarding thing, and one step down from a growl, which is one step down from a bite or something more aggressive. I won't tolerate it. If he starts with that he get firmly reprimanded. He doesn't do that when I take his food away, put my hand in the bowl, mess with him in any other way. Just for some reason treats are a big deal. So we continue to work on that.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is just a test from her. A small bump in the road. But it could escalate to a bite pretty easily. So stop it now.

I'd also incorporate training to reinforce your status. She doesn't get fed unless she sits first. She doesn't go out any doors before you, you always leave a room first. Make her lie down or do something before she gets a treat or even patted on the head. You can google nothing in life is free training, which incorporates these methods. It's just a way of letting her know that you are the boss
Thanks, we already make her sit and stay for her meals, she does tricks for treats, she can do 15 so far, we have just started working on not barking at the door and sit stay at the door while we open it and we go out.
I was just taking this vocalization as cute not serious.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Tink i take both my girls food away mid meal because they're raw fees and it's liketgw highest value thing a dog can have with them both being puppies and me beige a mum I was worried that they'd get narky with my daughter so I train that resources guarding isn't good nor allowed daisy has got worse since lotus has come along and ran off with two bully sticks in her mouth - just the end bits so I had to get them out her mouth they were wedged so I grabbed hold if a bit and stood up over her and just stared she was sooooooooo pissed off lol but gave in!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One other thing..... (ha ha I'm on a roll today). I have no idea if she sleeps in your bed or not, but that is off limits at this stage. She has to earn her right to sleep with you.

This is one of the most confusing things to dogs. When dogs sleep in our beds, they are elevated to our level. They see themselves as equals. A behaviorist will tell you that a dog who is growling for whatever reason does NOT sleep in your bed. Maybe later, if you wish, and things are back in order.

So IF she's sleeping with you, back to the crate for now. Then once things even out, she can be back in bed with you later if you want her to be. Just thought I'd throw that in because teaching pack order to a dog that sleeps in your bed is very confusing to them.
She does sleep with me and I do want a balanced dog so thanks for the tip, I will put her back in the crate to sleep until we get straightened away.
A little humility does us all good ;)

I googled NILIF, good info there.

I'm on a mission now!

To think I wasn't even going to ask about it because I thought she was just 'different', ha!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll add something else that others may not agree with, but I think it's the first, and often missed, signal of a chi trying to gain the upper hand. I routinely take treats away from my dogs. I give them back again, I'm not mean lol! But I want them to know that *I* am dominant, that I'm the pack leader, that I have control.
Ok, more good stuff to know, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts