Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has be a stressful couple of days for me.

Bijoux has not eaten in over 30 hours and it's not because she's sick, it's because she's holding out. Bijoux has always gotten human food, in my eyes it was a tiny piece here and there no biggie. That is until I picked her up the other day and realised she was putting on weight.....!!!!

As many know she cannot put on any weight due to her LP so I've completely stopped all table food and treats for now. I looked at her food bowl today, she hasn't touched it because the bugger is waiting for more treats and human food.

I admit I'm so tempted to give her some chicken, but I want her to eat her kibble. So now it's a battle of wills, how long will she hold out? She's not small so hypoglycemia is no worry here, I gotta admit she is one stubborn dog. I wonder where she gets it from, couldn't be me ; )

·
Registered
725 Posts
It sounds to me like she knows you very well and the longer she waits the more worried you will get and eventually she may get what she wants. Be strong mom don't give in LOL

·
Registered
688 Posts
be strong!!! i had to do the same with freeta! She wants table food but she was putting on alot of weight, just be strong momma she will eat shes not gunna starve herself, she will have to eat when she cant handle it anymore. :) gl

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
That must be tough. Could you try making the kibble a little more appetizing, like adding some water and microwaving it for a few seconds? Hope she eats soon!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Idk how long but she's gonna have to give in soon! Have u changed the food at all? Baby never used to eat breakfast she only used to eat dinner at 5pm then nothin til the next day at 5pm no clue why but never had issues she eats both meals now a days lol! Stay strong I bet she'll give in soon

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Are you sure grandma is not spoiling her when you are not around?
30 hours is a long time, she should have eaten by now. By the way,
what kind of kibble did you choose? And congrats on stopping treats
and human food, I can imagine it's tough to break the cycle, but you
are doing it for your baby's health, so hopefully that'll help you stay
strict when it comes to her diet. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I won!!

Bijoux finally ate her kibble. I'm not proud of the brand (royal Cannin Chihuahua) but when I tried her on Wellness she ate the cat food instead and when I tried Origin and Arcana she wouldn't touch either of them. Also she won't eat wet (tried to fool her with that) and I would love to try some ziwi but you can't get that where I am, and unfortunately to ship it in is just not in my budget especially if she might not eat it. So for now it's royal canin at least she will eat this over cat food, so I won't complain.

I am trying her on this new brand of grain free called Nurtiance Performance it's made by pet value, i'd say it's on par with royal canin but at least it's grain free, so it's a slight improvement. At least until the day that I get my own place and raw is an option again, I know she would much much prefer to be on raw again.

oh ps. We are making progress with pottying outdoors. Except if she has free reign to my grandmothers room or the spare room she potties in there, so for now we have the baby gate up. Just until she's more reliable.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Kelsey they sell ziwi peak at global pet foods there's one in ancaster and on king and dundurn! Call them I get it from
The ancaster one cuz its near me!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kelsey they sell ziwi peak at global pet foods there's one in ancaster and on king and dundurn! Call them I get it from
The ancaster one cuz its near me!
.....You are my hero!!!! The king and Dundurn is right by McMaster!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
.....You are my hero!!!! The king and Dundurn is right by McMaster!

Ya awesome I've had to call in advance before and get it ordered in they told me it ships from new Zealand and takes 5 months to get to them so just call ahead and make sure! I know some of the favors are on back order right now I just picked up a bag of fish and venison a couple weeks ago!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm I will make sure to do that, how much do you pay for a bag?

·
Registered
275 Posts
We used to have a cat that would only eat her food if it was whole. It came in little circles like cheerios. If they were broken she wouldn't eat. We would try to hold out until she ate it and she would just refuse. We were finally trained to throw out the pieces and refill her bowl with whole ones! LOL

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone :D

ya it wasn't fun waiting her out but it was very satisfying to see her eating out of her bowl...pretty sure there was cobwebs in it haha

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's great that she eating good for you mom looks like you won I raised Penelope on Nutrience puppy food she doing really well on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts