Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a collar and a leash. DH cut the clip off the leash. She is small and it just hangs down between her front legs. She has chocked and scared herself.

I did walk once with her just running between our feet. Now she wants to run off. Also when my dd takes her out in the morning and I do at night it is dark. She tends to wander off.

I know this collar only keeps her within reach. She does tolerate it but it is not safe for her to use.

I know there are harnesses. How can I be the one in control with a harness? Dh just says to wait till she is older. Not sure what I am suppose to do know with that type of advice LOL

Her neck is 6-7 inches. Funny when I search "Chihuahua training collars" I get hits for shock collars. One had the size petite as having a girth of 12-15 inches.

· Registered
4,175 Posts
To be safely walked or taken outside (unless in a fenced area), she will need to be harnessed. A collar can be damaging on the throat/neck if used with a leash on our little ones.

Petco carries a brand called Lil Pals and they will have harnesses to fit.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
Jaxx's first harness was too big for him but I took a needle and thread and tacked it so that it would fit him until he grew into it. I made it big enough to slip off of his head but small enough so that he would not get tripped on it.

I did a lot of research when we first got Jaxx and the horror stories that I read about people using collars with chihuahuas and collapsing their trachea made me immediately get a harness for Jaxx.

Being on a leash and in a harness is something that they get used too. Jaxx hated the leash at first but within a week he was ignoring it. When I was getting him used to wearing the harness I would let him wear it inside for short periods while I was around to watch him and he quickly got used to it.

I use the Puppia harness and love it!

For that small of chihuahua you might have a hard time finding harnesses that small but there are some great people on the net that makes custom harnesses as well.

· Registered
3,304 Posts
How old is she? My chi is one year old and I recently bought him a Gentle Leader collar. I had to work it down real small, but it works like a charm, after they get used to it! Angel's neck is about 9". If you decide to get one, be sure to watch the whole DVD that comes it with it.

He also has a Puppia harness for when I am not training him. And I occasionally use a "training" collar (commonly called "choke chain.) Bad name, if used properly they are very effective. They are supposed to be positioned up right behind the ears and used only for short periods of training. His is used to take him out to pee and that's it! Usually about one minute.

For everyday use, I like the harness! Walmart also has a decent one that is easy to put on and fits little ones well.

Good luck!

· Registered
786 Posts
I had to get Ote custom made collars and harnesses when she was small. She doesn't particularly like them, but she'll deal with them. It's better to have them get used to them while they're young then wait until they are near adults. Then it will be very hard to get them accustomed to wearing such. Check out Etsy.com for harnesses and collars. A lot of the people on there are very willing to make custom sizes. Plus, they're cute and cheap!

· Registered
801 Posts
Mimi has a very tiny neck and frame, I like the vest harnesses from Puppia, but if you are looking for something comparable and little less expensive ipuppyone harnesses are also very good. Also if you get the FLEX harnesses, they are adjustable at the neck and around the chest.

Here is a site that has GOOD prices and free shipping

http://www.pupincloset.com/default.asp

· Banned
10,736 Posts
Karen is correct you can damage your dog's trachea with a collar.
Harnesses are best for small and/or brachycephalic breeds.
As for training, you don't need to rely on the dog's collar for
correction or control, simply use positive reinforcement techniques,
you will get your dog's respect and will get her to obey, without
damaging her physically or mentally. Puppia is a very good brand
of comfortable and safe dog harnesses, they offer a wide variety
for tiny dogs. If you decide on one I could help you choose the
right size as they vary from model to model.

· Banned
37 Posts
there is a brand called Lil' pals and they make really small collars and harnesses that are super cute! also cat harnesses are small enough as well. i use a harness when walking Sookie out but i keep a collar on her with all her information on it. the Lil pals products are EXPENSIVE at Petco (used to work there for 3 years) but if you go to a feed store they carry them as well and they are a lot cheaper. My little Sookie actually does way better off leash than she does on because the lady i took her from never used a leash on her. but she is doing great with leash training. i would stay away from the shock collars. my roommate had bought one for her pug because it would bark all day while she was at work (used to work with me at petco) luckily me and my bf were still home because when the dog barked the collar went off and totally FREAKED the dog out so she started barking more with every shock so the collar was non stop shocking cuz she was barking like a maniac. we heard loud noises and screaming come from the dog so we ran up stairs and found the dog rolling around foaming at the mouth. we immediately took the collar off and told her to return it. DO NOT use these on your dogs!!!! big or small!

· Registered
236 Posts
I can't find a dog collar to fit LeStat even now as his neck measures only 4.5 inches so he doesn't wear one at all.
He weighs around 2.5lbs and his 'girth' is only 7-8 inches as well.

I had trouble buying a harness as the ones here in the Uk, size xxs, were way too big.
I eventually started using ferret harness's that are made for ferrets and guinea pigs!
They fit well even though they are not as aesthetic as the puppia harness's and other prettier makes....they do the job though and definitely keep him safe.
He recently tried to chase some swans into the river nearby, they were not afraid of him at all, I'm sure they would have taken him away into the middle of the river if he'd not been on a leash.

· Administrator
5,737 Posts
Kelly, I make three styles of dog harnesses, all are custom made to fit. I could certainly make one small enough for Lestat. PM me, I don't have a website at the moment.
I don't use harnesses on my two though. They have collars, and I have never had a problem. They were trained as puppies to walk nicely and not pull. If they need correcting while on the lead, I use my voice, not physical restraint via the leash. So it is possible to use collars on tiny dogs, but you have to put the work in with the training.

· Registered
236 Posts
Kelly, I make three styles of dog harnesses, all are custom made to fit. I could certainly make one small enough for Lestat. PM me, I don't have a website at the moment.
I don't use harnesses on my two though. They have collars, and I have never had a problem. They were trained as puppies to walk nicely and not pull. If they need correcting while on the lead, I use my voice, not physical restraint via the leash. So it is possible to use collars on tiny dogs, but you have to put the work in with the training.
That would be fantastic I'll measure him again to make sure as he's put a little weigh on lately, which is great, his neck is no bigger but his girth may be now. I have a tiny ferret harness that just fits him and a one a bit bigger that fits perfectly. They are fine but not very pretty for him.
Do you have pics of your harness's at all?

To be honest with LeStat being the way he is at the moment, although much better than when we got him from my daughter, we don't 'train' him much at all yet. We have just got him to even walk on a harness and that has taken us almost a year! He's still very nervous of strangers, sometimes even people he knows, he does pull a little so a harness is definitely safer for him as with a collar he chokes all the time. Animals he's fine with!
He would just be terrified if we tried to speak sternly to him, take it from me I've tried to vouice train him, he runs under the nearest item of furniture and you can't get him out for hours! Any raised/stern voices he has the samereaction to.
Even harness's with a strap across the throat make him choke!
He also reverse sneezes so that is a worry when he gets bad with it. He can go on for half an hour reverse sneezing when he's stressed!

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a couple things. I crocheted a harness out of cotton yarn. It is not quite right, but better then the collar. I also ordered one from Park Avenue. I sewed a clip back onto the leash from a pocket book strap that my dd gave me.

Dh also made her a little fenced in potty area. If we have time she is allowed to run around the yard with us as much as she wants. Once tired we bring her in. I am very surprised how fast she will run beside you.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.