Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me, my little Honey is overweight so i need to take her out for more walking however honey has a thing of smelling EVERYTHING so she's never constantly walking. She stops to smell everything, i use a harness on her so i try to just gentley tug at her lead to make her come but then sure enough give it afew seconds later she will be off smelling again!

Can anyone recommend anything?
Its a vicious circle as she needs to loose weight but how can i help her when shes not constantly walking.
Think i need to buy a tread mill!! ha ha

Any help would be great!

Sarah :)

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
I live on a quiet street and tend to walk Chico in the middle of the street(no parking of the side so its all street).... and walk alittle fast, not the 'normal' walking stride.... I do stop occasionally and let him smell and pee.... but then off we go again.... he seems to like that pace.... when I start to slow alittle and he is done 'sniffing'... he actually goes back to the middle of the road as if to say to me..."come on, Mom.... lets go sniff down the road "

:)

·
Registered
768 Posts
i have the same problem with my girls!!
I tend to always drive my girls to a field for a run around because walking is so hard work!!
Both mine sniff EVERYTHING and if i gently tug them and tell them 2 walk on they just put their brakes on!
I have started walking them alot more since the better weather is coming in but it is really hard work!!
I havent got any solutions for you as im in the same boat !! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I find the only way to stop Tyson sniffing (and peeing) everything is to run, but I am too old an out of shape to manage that for more than a few yards....so sniffing it is lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
how about walking in the street instead of on the sidewalk near grass and trees. in an open roadway or street or gutter there isn't anything to stop against or smell. a real short leash might also help, like a 4 foot you can wrap around your wrist and shorten even more.

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I take the dogs for walks it is for exercise, not sniffing and smelling every blade of grass and leaf. My dogs are taken out on standard, 6 foot leashes, the leashes are kept loose but not all 6 feet of leash and the dogs are expected to walk at a proper heel. We walk at a nice brisk pace, no lagging and if one slows down I encourage her to pick up the speed keep going. If one speeds up and gets ahead of me I ask her to slow down and come back to heel. There isn't a choice in the matter, it's how we walk.

I bet if you just walk and encourage her to keep up and keep a nice brisk pace she will walk. It's when you slow down and really give them the time and ability to start sniffing that they put their nose down. And when they do and you're ready to go then start walking, if they are on a harness they will come with you, they have to... they're on a leash. Once they get pulled away from the smell most dogs will pick up their noses and catch up, if nothing else but out of surprise that the person isn't stopping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts