Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to know if I'm getting him started right.

To follow you it's come right?

I get come and heel confused sometimes. :oops:

He already got the idea of walking on a leash from our first walk yesterday and I've got him 'learning' the correct way but he's still to young to understand it all....it's more a 'refresher' for me as I train him then anything else.

TY in ADVANCE for the clarification.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
you use come to call him to you and heel to halt him if he is pulling - how old is he ? its just practice and let him get used to lead first y putting it on and letting him drag it around behind him and get used to the feel of it :wave:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he's two months and walks fine on it.....except he like to trip me or my husband.

That was why I was trying to classify things because he's not allowed into obedience school until 8 months of age or older.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Heel is the command you use so the dog walks right next to you - at the seam of your pants - and should often look up at you instead of looking at other things. He should also sit as soon as you stop walking.

Come is the command I personally use to get him to come to me if I am across the room/yard/etc.

Just use whichever command is easiest and best for you. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only reason he goes out is the vet said it was okay......he's been with other dogs before so the vet said it was okay.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
has he had all his shots - if not and it isnt 2 weeks after his final shot - I would seriously think about changing vets as that is terrible advice :wave:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the vet says that as long as it's little walks here and there it's fine.

No taking him to the dog park until after January when all his shots are done. :x

It's fine to take him out like that because he's been vacinated for everything he needs right now and is flea/tick protected.....kind of kewl.

The only dog he's allowed to be playing with now is Lucy, a 10 month old dalmation, whom I know very very well.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
well I wouldnt take my pup walking at 8 weeks of age out on thestreets as he could still pick up parvo virus - has he had all his shots ??????

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's negative on all test and up to date on shots.

I'm very careful where I put him down so I'm not worried about it.....I see the vet again first week of January for the next set of shots and test.

As long as you keep them up to date on their vaccinations, watch what dogs they are around, where they go potty, you are fine.

None of my dogs have ever gotten anything from walking little walks before all shots are done.....helps to have a great immune system as well...which he has.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Trust me you are not fine unless the course of shots is complete

does anyone else agree with what sklarsen is saying or is it different where I am from and it is me who is wrong - it is even not safe to put them in your own back garden until all shots are done as hedgehogs , wild cats , foxes etc all can carry parvo virus

·
Registered
251 Posts
We were told the same- not going outside ANYWHERE before the last shot and definitely not meeting other dogs. I guess, it is also possible to get something even if not meeting other dogs- it just stays on the grass or in their poop or something like that...I would advice to stay on the safe side here :wave:

Richie's mom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts