Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I was wondering how long did it take for yalls dogs to learn to walk on a leash? lil bit is 16wks old and trying but i am having lots of trouble! He wants to stop and eat all the flowers and bird poop and anything we pass on the sidewalk! he has a harness now would a collar work better? He also won't just walk down the sidewalk I have to kneel down to his level and call him :? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I think a harness is better - because then it doesnt seem to him (your chi) that you are dragging him. Does he walk with you around the house - for instance near your feet all the time? My Chi would never walk on a lead/harness when i got him and he was 2 and would just roll on the floor until you picked him up, i thought if i had his harness on him and walked along as if i would in the house, the lead being a little loose he would just get used to it walking by my feet. My Chi now walks on the lead/harness but he does general stop a couple of times to try eat the grass, to sniff things; when he does that i leave him for a couple of seconds then call his name and he carrys on. It took a little bit of time but your Chi is younger than mine.
Good luck with it though :wink:
xfayex and xsleepingdeanox

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi is horrible on her lead! i wouldn't walk something so small on a collar and lead, always go with the harness in these smaller guys it's easier on their necks..... but back to chiwi, she doesn't walk. i've been working with her since i got her at 11 weeks old and she is now almost 20 weeks and there has been little improvement. since she has been ground bound i've taken her out every day to practice walking and get her used to it but she just lays down and don't move.....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Mandy, My Bruiser did that untill he was atleast six months old! He was just a little stinker to leash train. :roll: He is still not to Happy about it. When he sees me get his Harness to put on him, he runs and gets under his blanket!! :roll: I just made him the cutest "Harley Davidson Harness" and he hates it!! He just does not fit the "Tough guy" image at all!!! :lol:

Going to have to use a new model...... :wink:

sandra

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I tried to start Marcus in the house before he had all his shots and was allowed out and it was a total disaster. He hated it, threw himself around, rolled and scooted on the floor trying to get the harness off, you name it he tried. Then when he was finally able to go out and he figured out that the harness meant an adventure he did a total turn around. He can still be a brat but a gentle tug on the leash usually reminds him Mommy is going somewhere. He's going to start obedience lessons soon, that ought to be interesting.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jasmine did not like her collar or her harness in the beginning either. She finally adjusted to the collar, and has no problem with it now. I only put the harness on her when we are going out, and she's learned to associate the harness with going outside, and runs to the door soon as she sees me pick it up. I would definitely stick with the harness for walks. It is just safer-doesn't put pressure on the neck area, and they can sometimes pull out of the collar on the leash. Jasmine has done it twice before, so I never take her out without her harness now.

As far walking on the leash, it took a while, and she still stops frequently to smell things but she is doing much better. I'm not real knowledgeble on training issues. Maybe some of the other posters can give you some better guidance. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chloe HATES her lead! :( As soon as I put it on she freezes up, and when I try to walk and call her she just stays there, sitting making the most horrid/awkward face! We're working on this a bit more everyday but as of now she's not enjoying it too much..

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget loves his collar, his harness, and he loves walks.... If you ask him if he wants to go for a walk he gets all excited and goes to the door...

he wears his collars from the time he gets up in the morning til he goes to bed at night.. He wears his harness most of the day if wwe are in and out... He also wears his harness in the car....

I started putting his harness on him when he was 5 weeks old and he has worn it int he house every since. I also started him with his leash too..at first I would put his leash on his harness and let him trag it around behind him in the house(of course with supervision) then after he got used to it I would walk him in the house... i did this a few times a week at first hten the last about 3 weeks I would do it every day... but I always started with letting him drag the leash first for a few minutes before I started wlaking him...

good luck and God bless

1 - 8 of 8 Posts