Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Domo (8 mo. old yorkie) still doesn't like to walk outside. When I say "let's go outside!" he get's excited, is super happy to put his harness on, jumps around when I attach the lead. He's fine, and seems to love it. I say "c'mon let's go!" and he runs to the front door (lead and harness on). He doesn't mind it at all. Then....we get outside and he might walk about 10 ft or so, but he just sits there. I usually have to carry him. We practice everyday. I've used treats, positive encouragement...I don't know what else to do. He just won't walk.

There have been one or two days where he'll walk to the grass, but all he wants to do it sniff. He will not keep walking. We don't even make it around the block because he just sits. I have called him to me and he won't budge. So I wait for him, and sometimes he moves and comes to where I am. lol, but then he just sits back down! Meanwhile, my chihuahua has been around the block 4 times! (not literally)

What do I do?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Will he walk with you on the sidewalk/street areas? Maybe he doesn't like the feel of grass? Some grasses can be scratchy against sensitive paws. My (human) nephew HATED grass when he was a baby. If you put him down on grass he would scream his little head off - and I am not sure that he will go on it without shoes on even now at 10.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the OP I said he is 8 months old. I have tried grass and cement. Both. Little stubborn thing.

He has more interest in chewing weeds than walking.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Here's a suggestion have you tried switching up the harness/lead you're using on him? is it actually a harness vs a collar? Sometimes it can be the smallest things in the mind of a dog. :lol:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried once Kitty. I had a puppia vest harness when we first started with a regular lead, which he didn't like, so then I switched to a thin step-in harness with a retractable lead. I am baffled. We practice everyday, he just has no interest in walking...unless he sees other people or dogs, then he's all about getting to them..

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Someone had suggested to me once to try putting peanut butter on the end of a ruler while walking. The idea being that he will want to get the peanut butter! I haven't tried it. Angel just eventually got moving!

Does he chase things! Try throwing something in the direction you want him to go. When Angel was about 18-20 months old, he seemed to just "get it!"

How's Japan treating you?

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
I tried once Kitty. I had a puppia vest harness when we first started with a regular lead, which he didn't like, so then I switched to a thin step-in harness with a retractable lead. I am baffled. We practice everyday, he just has no interest in walking...unless he sees other people or dogs, then he's all about getting to them..
You just described my Gibbs! If a walk does not benefit him (people other dogs etc) he lays down and refuses to do it. I get a look that says mom we have a car! I swear I have almost had to call my OH to come get us as he would not move and I was not carrying a 50+lb dog back home. I hate to tell you this but Gibbs is 9 and is still the exact same way and has been since I adopted him at 5 months. :foxes15:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If he's having a really hard time with the harness, maybe see if he reacts better to a collar instead? I know some pups just take a long time to adjust. Our townhome manager has a maltese/yorkie that is 7 months old and she is having the same trouble.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You just described my Gibbs! If a walk does not benefit him (people other dogs etc) he lays down and refuses to do it. I get a look that says mom we have a car! I swear I have almost had to call my OH to come get us as he would not move and I was not carrying a 50+lb dog back home. I hate to tell you this but Gibbs is 9 and is still the exact same way and has been since I adopted him at 5 months. :foxes15:
lol Christie, well crap! I sure hope he picks up on it.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone had suggested to me once to try putting peanut butter on the end of a ruler while walking. The idea being that he will want to get the peanut butter! I haven't tried it. Angel just eventually got moving!

Does he chase things! Try throwing something in the direction you want him to go. When Angel was about 18-20 months old, he seemed to just "get it!"

How's Japan treating you?
Japan is okay :) It's not what I thought it was going to be and I would much rather be home. I am still really homesick and I've been here 7 months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts