Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just started taking Riley outside on walks (since its finally starting to warm up) and he refuses to walk, he'll just sit and wont budge, even if i pull him. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so were you able to fix it. I dont know if it has to do with him being outside for the first couple times because i got him in the middle of winter or his age, he's 5 months old. But its really frustrating, please help!
Jen

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've had the same problem, but like I told Sharky's mom, it takes a little bit of practice everyday. I'm going to be taking Seiah out again today and will report back any new info I get (if there is any). :wave:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
A great way of letting your chi get use to the idea of a leash is to hook it up to their harness/collar and just let it drag behind them. Be sure to supervise so they dont get caught or choke themselves. I did this for my chi's so they could get use to the idea of the leash following them. Soon I picked it up and followed them. Then i started taking them on short walks inside the house. Everytime they walked willingly with me i gave them a treat. It didnt take them very long :wink:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I started Gadget on harness and leash from the time he was about 8 weeks ld.. I have walked him in the house... ever few days.. now that it is really close to letting him out on the ground then I started walking with him in the house everyday.... I have found that if I put a treat at on end of the kitchen and walk to it from the other end he will walk with me... I have done this to get him started now all I have to do is put his harness and leash on and say lets go for a walk and he's ready to walk...

I did the let the leash drag with him too.. it worked great for the first few times the leash was on...

good luck

·
Registered
251 Posts
Richie was exactly like that the first week or so of going outside: he would just sit there and refuse to moove much. I think, this is just because it is all still new. As everybody said, it will become better with a little bit of practice!

Richie's mom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts