Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two rescue dogs at the end of July, one Chi-Nacho (nearly 2) and a Pappilion-Bella (nearly 3), they came together and had grown up together.
Anyway for the first 3 months walking was a dream, Nacho would come to me, wait patiently for me to put on his harness and of we would go, no drama's ever.
Then one day he didn't want me to put the harness on him and kept ducking his head...so I now half a dozen different harness's but his reaction is the same so I modified one that I don't have to out it over his head so that is ok now.
Next problem he wants to come for a walk but he doesn't actually want to walk.If I can get him out the door (usually by me carrying him) he'll walk 5 steps and stop, I don't want to be dragging him down the street, so I give him a few tugs nothing so I carry him for a bit try again sometimes he'll walk then perfectly other times nup, so it's a stop start the whole way which is unfair to Bella who loves to walk.....I used to take them both in the morning and again in the evening now I take both in the morning and only Bella in the evening so she can at least get one proper walk a day.
I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong and what has changed?
He runs around the house like a madman, is happy etc so why are we suddenly having this walking drama's?
Any ideas?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
You give in, so now he has you trained and gets his way every single time. Don't let him!
From now on do not pick him up, ever. Use praise and even treats if you like to motivate him.
But don't ever give in and let him have his way. Make walking even more fun by talking to him,
interact with him, change direction frequently, play, stop to pet him, tell him he's a good boy
when he is walking well. Reinforce the positive behavior and ignore the negative. Do not choke,
do not pull, do not pick him up. Stay patient and don't give in, no matter how much
he tests you. You are in charge, not little Nacho.

off topic: he is beautiful! :p

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If he is food moivated, you could toss tiny treat in front of him, so he has to walk to get it. Might be inconvenient, as you walk two dogs! Just keep up with the walks. Sue

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I know but I already do those things, lots of praise etc, I tried food but nope that didn't work (and he is actually food motivated) he just stands there digging his heels in and won't move, my only option to get him going is to drag him which I really don't want to do.
And what makes this so hard is that I have 2 dogs I am trying to walk :-(
And I am at a total loss as to why this suddenly happened............
Thanks for all your help though.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Do you think little Nacho is not feeling well? Sometimes medical issues can be a reason for sudden behavioral changes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
As LS said, don't give in. Try walking Nacho alone (without Bella) and let him stand there for as long as he wants before moving. As soon as he moves even an inch, treat and praise. Sometimes these problems can be overcome by being even more stubborn than your dog. Just do your best to not get emotional as dogs are often very aware of our emotional state. Getting frustrated or upset will only cause more anxiety in your dog.

You might want to try changing his perception of being outside with you by using a fenced in yard if you have one available. Keep his harness on and let him run around. Talk to him, ask him to follow you, etc. and use treats/praise. Then after some time add in the leash while still in the yard. Gradually take it outside in quiet, shady areas for brief periods and always end on a good note. That might help. I think some Chis develop a fear of the big world outside.. It can be intimidating for such a small dog. But I agree--no more picking him up. Make him be a big boy.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I wonder if you got Bella ready with her harness and leash, and ask Nacho 'you want to go for a walk?' If he comes great. If not go without him. After a few times of leaving him, do you think he'd figure it out? The other post, talking about a vet visit, might be in order, since this is a sudden departure of his usual behavior. Sore back, etc might be the problem. Sue

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I wonder if you got Bella ready with her harness and leash, and ask Nacho 'you want to go for a walk?' If he comes great. If not go without him. After a few times of leaving him, do you think he'd figure it out? The other post, talking about a vet visit, might be in order, since this is a sudden departure of his usual behavior. Sore back, etc might be the problem. Sue
That's a good idea because I know if I walk some of my gang without the others I get the stink eye when I get back! :rolleyes: Hopefully everything is ok with Nacho, he isn't showing any signs of any other changes is he? Is he normal from everything else but just the walking?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!!! He is fine medically (apart from his IBS and he had that badly when he used to walk-before he was diagnosed, now it is under control and not causing any problems) he's been checked and I have even felt him all over , he doesn't react in pain etc and he runs around the house and backyard just fine and rough houses with Bella like there is no tomorrow.
I think he is just being stubborn :)
Ok I will keep trying , thanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i think id get chico all set and ready to walk talking all happy and upbeat and then call him over and say lets go and if hes willing take him if hes steel shying away leave him if all this tough love doesnt work you might have to call the vet and get theor recommendations good luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had some success ;)
I have to carry him out the door but then he'll walk, stop,I encourage and wait, he walks again etc.He stops about 4 or 5 times but I just encourage him, lots of praise and wait, within a few seconds we are going again lol.
Funny little guy :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts