Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to the site and have an 18 week old short haired Chihuahua called Alfie. The problem is that he just will not walk either on a lead or a harness. His feet stay glued to the floor.

I have tried bending down to his level and offering him treats in front of his nose and also throwing treat a few feet away. This sometimes works, but he will only walk treat to treat.

Can anyone please give me some advice. Thank you. Jo

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Have you tried just getting him used to the collar/harness indoors where he feels safe ? Then when he's ok with it taking him for a walk ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put a very lightweight harness on, and leash and let my puppy walk around in the house with it. and he would follow me everywhere :) then i did the same outside... so he followed and then i started to pick up the leash and walk like that.. thennnn LOL after a while of him just following me he would realize i was holding the leash and stop to then i changed direction right away called his name and he would follow.. now he is a little over a yr old and awesome on the leash.. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I first started to try to walk mine, she wouldn't budge. I'd gotten her used to the harness by letting her wear it around the house for an hour or so per day, but once we were outside... she knew where home was, and wouldn't walk away from it.

What I ended up doing was carrying her down the road, just far enough away where she could still see home, and then walking back to the house with her. I did this a few times and she eventually got used to walking. Then I took her out of visual range of the house, and she walked fine with me. Now she gets excited to go outside for walks.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi just checking in to see if she ll walk on lead for you yet that sounded so cute about she stays put and want budge i could see that and i laughed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts