Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else dealt with this before with their dogs? Kaige does this. We adopted him at 10 months old and the day we brought him home from the pound he took his first poopy :p Then I noticed he started to walk during his droppings (this is such bad wording lol), at first I thought maybe he was nervous or scared being in a new place..nope...he still does this and has been with us for almost 6 months now. Happy, healthy normal dog...aside from the walking while pooping. I talked with one vet they thought maybe he was rushed a lot as a puppy while being on a leash, pulled..Luckily he doesn't step in it he just poops on the go. lol I never seen a dog do this before lol Just seems funny. Anybody else seen this or dealt with it, if so did you ever find out why they do this? It doesn't bother me that he does this I am just curious to why!!! lol​

·
Registered
97 Posts
LOL, my JJ does this! He's done it ever since we got him. I just figured it was a Chihuahua thing. He is trained to go outside on a leash and inside on pee-pads, and he walks while pooping either way. He sometimes walks in a half-circle and sometimes in a straight line, but the funniest is when he shakes his butt back and forth while doing it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL Omg that's such a good thing to know he's not the only dog! lolol I have never had a dog do this before or anybody I've ever known! So funny!!! Thanks girls!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Paco does this. He starts on the Pad and then starts walking in circles and by the time he's done the poop falls everywhere but the Pad. It drives me crazy, but there's no way to stop it. He's always so very proud of himself when he poops, thinking it's on the pad and it's not. HA HA, he tries.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol awww bless their hearts & yours too! esp if you're trying to have them potty trained on peepads that must be horrible! Like you said, nothing you can do about it and in their little heads they think they are doing good! omg so cute and funny and wrong at the same time! lol!! Funny how the pound didn't mention that when we adopted him. Wouldn't have changed my mind at all though. I think it's kinda funny. He just "goes" and looks at me while walking. haha! I love him!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Pedro does this - he's half Chi! He does this frantic little running back and forth thing before he decides where he actually wants to start...And then, he walks, hunch up, and poops. He may go 10 feet, depending on how much he needs to go!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Finn lifts one of his hind legs REALLY high while he does his business. It's hysterical.
Maybe he's related to Adam coz he does this as well!!LOL

Heidi tends to suffer from cling ons so sometimes where she starts pooping isnt where she finishes and worst case scenario is me having to pull this loooong poop out of her bum like a really disgusting magic trick!!:rolleyes:
(I think its coz she is a lickyholic dog who manages to swallow tons of fluff and fur and I have long hair and moult terribly!!:toothy10:)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
When I was growing up we had a Boston Terrier who did this. She did this because she didn't like being outside and would walk towards the door while going lol

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol This is so fun to read about! I never knew so many dogs did this! I never had a dog in my life or friends, family's dog do this either. So when Kaige did it I thought it was so goofy!

When I was growing up we had a Boston Terrier who did this. She did this because she didn't like being outside and would walk towards the door while going lol
Mr. Kaige is half Boston Terrier. lol Sounds like your BT knew what she wanted! In and out!! Fast! lol:D

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
The only dog that did that was Sharky, one of our rescues.
He was abused and also never went out for more than a minute.
His owner took him out very briefly and never stopped or slowed down so Sharky could do his business.
He also yanked him a lot and yelled at him if Sharky was slow to walk.
As a result the poor boy did his business as soon as he left the house while walking.
It took Sharky a good while with us before he stopped doing that, hubby & I just took our sweet time on walks and stopped very often so he learns to sniff and explore before going.
So I definitely think this behavior is related to Kaige's life at the shelter or perhaps his life before the shelter.
Btw, cudos to you for adopting!!! I'm so proud of you :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
My Roo does this a little bit. She starts in one place and because of the walking she ends up finishing in another.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't think this behavior has anything to do with coming from a shelter. I work in a doggy daycare and have owned many dogs and I'd say 50% of the dogs I interact with do this most if not all times they poop. Schroeder always walks while he poops (which is why their pads are in a box) and my Dane will occasionally take a few steps. We have a LOT of labs at work who will walk in HUGE circles or lines while pooping and even while peeing. VERY frustrating to clean up for the ones who both do that and have chronic diarrhea...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sissy walks a few steps. I think she is afraid that if she poos in one place it will build up and get her all messy. lol.
i'm just glad she hasn't stepped in it yet. lol.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I don't think this behavior has anything to do with coming from a shelter. I work in a doggy daycare and have owned many dogs and I'd say 50% of the dogs I interact with do this most if not all times they poop. Schroeder always walks while he poops (which is why their pads are in a box) and my Dane will occasionally take a few steps. We have a LOT of labs at work who will walk in HUGE circles or lines while pooping and even while peeing. VERY frustrating to clean up for the ones who both do that and have chronic diarrhea...
I think a little walking is normal(in circles or whatnot), as long as it is more or less in the same area.
The problem is when the dog doesn't even stop to smell anything before the act.
For example, you are just casually walking your dog and all of a sudden he starts doing business while still walking ahead, that's a problem.
Two completely different things. The reason I say it could be related to previous shelter life is because not all shelters, pounds, etc
take the time to properly walk the dog, the dog could have been rushed or pulled, etc, so he learned to do it on the go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts