Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,my chihuahua coco who is coming up to 6 months now, does not like going out on walks.
i got him when he was 5 months old so i dont know if he was walked then but i have been taking him out once everyday for around 20 minutes but most of the 'walk' is me carrying him!
even on the quiet streets no matter how much i coax him he just sits there,is he not used to walking maybe because he wasnt walked early on?
im sorry if this post is simalar to one a couple down.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Deano is abit like that too, a walk means me carrying him to the park! Deanow would never walk and just lie down when i got him now by using a harness and a loose lead he does, i think it just takes practice.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Just give your dog lots of encouragement and praise...and treats too! :) Don't pick him up when he lies down as that will tell him that laying down = mommy picking me up.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo was the same way...well he still is, meaning he doesn't like to really walk in the sidewalk etc. plus I'm paranoid he'll pick up some weird virus from the ground...LOL

I took him to the beach for the first time last friday and he loved it! At first he was scared, but then he was running and chasing the waves...it was so cute! He had sand everywhere!

so, maybe it's a texture thing? Gizmo loves sand, anything squishy to walk on...but put him on the pavement and I have to kinda drag him...he'd rather sniff the grass than walk.. :roll:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
Gizmo was the same way...well he still is, meaning he doesn't like to really walk in the sidewalk etc. plus I'm paranoid he'll pick up some weird virus from the ground...LOL

I took him to the beach for the first time last friday and he loved it! At first he was scared, but then he was running and chasing the waves...it was so cute! He had sand everywhere!

so, maybe it's a texture thing? Gizmo loves sand, anything squishy to walk on...but put him on the pavement and I have to kinda drag him...he'd rather sniff the grass than walk.. :roll:
exactly the same as Deano.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ditto!coco would rather sniff the ground than walk!i try not to pick him up too much because i agrree,it teaches him not to walkas he will realise that he will get carried, but sometimes hes just hopeless and will not walk a step!i think it does just take practise.

·
Registered
321 Posts
:shock: 20 minutes seems like a long time to me cause chi's are so small that is a lot of steps i would think. :? If you chi walks for a while then stops and you have to carry him/her maybe they are tired. we take bigger strides
and walk faster usually. Try a 10 minute walk. I have been told dogs have no real sence of time much like young children. perhaps a 20 minute walk feels like an eternity to your chi. :wink:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
paris and vienna are too posh to walk !! cosmo likes a walk if he's in a good mood and it's not windy or cold :D he loves playing in the garden though :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
433 Posts
I started callisto out with short walks around the block and lots of treats. Now she can walk for DAYS. She never seems to get tired and just prances around occasionally looking back at me with a big smile on her face. Now if I could just get her to stop being afraid of the people and dogs we meet on the walk we would be ok.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a thought, as its what I will be doing in a few weeks...
Maybe if you have some clean grass (I mean a clean park or summit as opposed to a scabby bit of scrubland that might have ticks and things) nearby, like a few minute walk (im lucky theres a park opposite my house) then walk him to that and play with him. Play games and treats and obedience training and all. Do it as often as you can and then maybe he will start associating walks with games and fun and treats. Obviously if possible vary the location so eventually, when you get out the lead he will always assume you're off to play and have his treats and you can start mixing up playing and walking when youre out in the shops etc.

just a suggestion?

james

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
the strange thing is i cant remember having any trouble with jacob on a lead i put him straight on a show lead as knew he would be showing so didnt want him getting confused but im trying to train paris at the mo she will start ring classes soon but its been a night mare i repeat trying to train ha lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree with bringing treats and going on short walks around the yard first. Snuffy loves going outside..whether she's just sniffing around the garden or walking around our circle. She'll get excited when I said "outside" and run to sit by the door already! If she uses the bathroom outside, she gets a treat when she comes inside. Also, after I've been gone for a lil while and she's been in her crate...the first thing I do when I get home is bring her for a walk outside to let her excersize. So I guess she sees it as a positive thing? But I'm not quite sure how to get an older one used to it if it wasn't early on...I'd just say patience, love, and of course some treats! :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:

Ooo oo! My pup is the same way. he hates walking on the pavement or concrete but loves walking in the grass and especially the sand. When I first tried taking him on a walk and set him on the sidewalk he whined and left the concrete. Somd dogs just don't like doing certain things. I would say keep taking him out and introduce him to different areas, es[ecially like the beach! That might open him up more and he will get his exercise there maybe. Good luck hun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts