Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Now that it's winter here in Chicago, Ace, my 8 month old chihuahua, doesn't want to go out--ever. He is litter boxed trained, so he doesn't really *need* to go out everyday, but he used to like going outside so much in the summer. Now everytime I take my other puppy outside (not a chi) Ace runs into his crate as soon as he hears "who wants to go outside". I feel bad leaving him inside all the time, but he doesn't want to go out. He's got sweaters, coats, etc. but wants me to pick him up when we get out.

Does anyone else have a chi that doesn't go out very often in the winter? I feel like he needs some fresh air occasionally...
Thanks!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
mine dont like the cold too much but they do go quickly in the garden for toilet breaks - also they have their daily walk all wrapped up warm because even though they are small they still need a daily work to keep healthy and happy - plus it calms them down :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
When I take my 2 girls out, they come back in all reved up and ready to rock and roll. Get the zoomies and start wrestling LOL

Does Ace play with your other dog and run around the house?
If so, I think he sould be ok not going out. If you notice he is putting on weight though you might want to start taking him for walks again.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I live in California, so it's warm for winter, it was 70 degrees here the other day, today around 50. But my boys act like they are in Alaska or something. Buster just won't go out for anything and he shivers badly the whole time, even with a sweater. Mr. Peepers will go out but he wants to ride in the car and not walk :roll: .

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Ms_P i dont think playing around the house should take the place of a walk to get fresh air and new smells and environments etc - I would just continue trying to persuade him to come out wrap him up warm and keep trying - plus I always think they are going to injure themselves having zoomies in the house as this is how a couple of members chis have broken legs etc :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Fresh air and new smells can come from a ride in the car to the store or over a friends house.
People can have accidents in their house going up and down stairs and slipping on rugs and break their legs. Accidents are accidents.

Imagine if you were the size of your pups, how big your house would seem to them.

People get toy breeds so they don't have to take them for a run in the park everyday. They are apartment size dogs. Not going out everyday is not going to hurt them.

Ozzysmom, I'm not arguing with you, we have a difference of opinion. My dogs get their exercise in the house. When I take them out they are on a leash because they can fit through the slats on the fence. I cannot walk them around the neighborhood because of other dogs around.
Excerise is excerise, it doesn't matter where it's done. What works for some people doesn't necessarily work for someone else.
Oh and I might add, neither one of my girls is over weight.
I think it's great that you can take your 2 out in your yard and let them run, I wish I could do that. But I and others can't do it. It doesn't mean we can't have pups, we just get them excerise in another way.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
sorry ms p i wasnt arguing either :shock: i was just stating that just because they were small dogs didnt mean that they dont benefit from a daily walk - if you dont agree with this that is your perogative I was just offering this person my advise :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I try and take Ace for rides in the car and to PetCo and stuff like that. He plays with my other puppy, Summer, all day long, so I'm sure he gets plenty of exercise chasing her around. I, too, think he needs some fresh air everyday. But I hate forcing him out because as I'm putting his sweater and harness on to go, he shakes like he is so afriad. And if I put him on the floor he'll run to his crate. He's going to the vet tomorrow (he picked up kennel cough from my friend's dog) so at least it'll be *some* fresh air. I normally will force him to go outside about every other day or so.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I live where it is warm all year so I don't have the problem. It's a good thing cause Auggie loves his walks outside and would definitely miss them.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Bosco does not go out very often now that it is cold and I imagine once Lola is old enough she won't go out either till the Spring. They are both big wimps when it comes to cold weather which is OK because so am I. :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I was wondering if the cold air (30 F and below) might be too harsh on their little lungs. Does anyone have info or an opinion on this? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts