Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I didnt have a chance to use Internet for a while and here I am finally...but with a question.
It is about walking my chi...she is almost 4 months now
First, I dont know - do they like walking?
How do I start walking her?
Cos we started like 2 weeks ago or a bit more... (unfortunatelly we dont have a backyard :( )
First just round the block...she was doing great!
then on the beach! also good!
then in the mornings she even did poop ...
but recently :( I dont know
She just stops, sits down and doesnt want to walk at all! not crying...just looking at me like "what are you doing to me?" I pick her up, she seems fine, then I put her down, she walks like 5 meters and the same story! At home she is fine, running, playing...
Can anybody tell me what can I do in this situation?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
First off, congratulations on your new Chihuahua!

Hmmmm....are you walking on a surface that may hurt her paws? If not, I would probably encourage her to keep walking "C'mon! Let's Walk! Good Girl!" and if she gets up and keeps walking, give her a small treat. Make it worth her while. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boogaloo, thanks :) :wave:
I've been with my chi Pupa (actually Chi-Poodle mix) in the newbee corner of this board, even posted her pic, but then I didnt have a chance to stay on-line for a while (just quick browsing - not enough time to write anything on the board)

about the walks - I am lost completely! It is not cold yet, but it is getting very very humid...maybe this is uncomfortable for her? :?
who knows?
if I pet her and say "let's go" - she does go :)...ehh...for another 2 meters :lol: and stops again
I am taking her to the vet on Friday for her injection, maybe he will give me some tips...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Harley used to do this when he was a puppy. I don't know what changed it. I guess I kept on putting him on a leash and taking him on small walk up a half and block then back. Then if he did that great, then I would give him a treat. Now that he's 4, he likes going on walks. We take him walking when we are camping, so the only problem that we have now, is he gets nervous if there are kids playing in a camping spot and we have to pass it. He's getting better.

Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Mikey does this to me and I figured out why he does it. Right now the weather is really nice. He'll just plop his little self down and sun bathe. You get him up a minute and he plops right back .

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have to tell you your chi sounds so cute! I can just picture it! My chi does this too, my hubby say it is cuz we all hold her so much that she just knows that if she sits and looks cute, we will swoop her up!! And he is right, we will! :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies :)
First I was really worried that something is wrong with her...like legs hurting or something else...
but at home she is fine, jumping like a grasshoper :lol:
sillymom - I think you are right, when I pick her up she starts wagging the tail and so on :)
I guess I am spoiling her..
today I try to take her out before humidity sets in..we'll see... :?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:D Yeah, I would suggest not picking her up! Another thing, if you are walking on concrete maybe is too hot? I don't know just throwing some ideas your way I hope your puppy learns to enjoy her walks! :wave: Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts