Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what is the best brand of dog food sold at walmart. I have heard that walmart carries the low end quality food but if you had to pick one from there which brand would you choose?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If I ABSOLUTELY HAD to buy a food from walmart it would be raw chicken/beef/pork etc :) Newman's Own is an 'okay' brand but not the best, honestly you will get more bang for your buck buying something like Wellness/Blue Buffalo from Petco/Petsmart, your dogs will eat less and it's better for them.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Mmm yeah. If I had to buy my dogs food at Walmart I'd also pick up some raw meat. LOL I'd never buy dog food at Walmart period. Seriously...it sceers the bajesus out of me!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Last year our Walmart had bags of dog food just sitting stacked out in the parking lot for months on end, covered in plastic, guess they had no where else to store it. I can only imagine the damage that did to the food which they then sold. I too would go with raw meat if Wal *Mart was my only choice for my doggie's food.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Me too. I'd head over to the meat department and pick up some bone-in chicken breasts, some wings, and a couple of cornish hens. I'd be set for a couple of weeks. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Lol :) I'd be buying some meat too I shop our supermarkets for my girls.... But I feed prey model raw so I get chicken pork beef lamb kidney and liver cheap mince abd were away

Yesterday they had wood pigeon from the supermarket!!

So technically supermarkets sell the highest dog food

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Ldmomma- Thanks, i will check for the newman's own.

I just looked on the walmart site and the brands listed are:
alpo
beneful
purina one
natural life
iams
pedigree
purina
moist & meaty
naturally complete
ol' roy
kibbles 'n bits
newman's own

I am going to look for newman's own first but if i can't find it because the site says that brand is only in limited stores which brand out of the above listed is the lesser of the evils?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well, of those brands, I would probably feed Purina One. Before I did research on dog foods, that's what I fed my dogs and I thought i was doing well. I will say that they were healthy and did fine on it. I now feed Sojos. Can I ask why you are limited to Walmart?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm also wondering why you're limited to Walmart for food? Sure by bag they are cheaper than a bag of a "specialty" food from pet stores that sell the higher end stuff - but you feed much less of a higher quality food because there isn't so much filler & they don't need as much to get all the nutrition as they would in a lower quality food.

Honestly, we fed Pedigree & Purina One to my lab mix & he's just been diagnosed with lymphoma at 7yo. (has been super healthy until the tumors popped up suddenly in the past month) While some may disagree I feel his poor diet had a LOT to do with his life being cut so short. I will never ever feed a grocery store brand again even if a dog appears to be doing well on it. That's why I didn't try to change his food after he didn't do well on ONE higher quality food...I figured why fix something that isn't broke. I'm feeling very bad about it now. :(

Anyway, to each their own. If you must get one of the foods listed Newmans Own is rated highest compared to the rest on the dog food analysis site (3 of 6 stars). Most of them listed are 1 of 6 stars and natural life I believe is rated 2 of 6 stars. But I'd take the plunge and look at pet specialty stores & do a bit more research before "settling". JMO.

·
Registered
544 Posts
There's so many opinions on food that you'll have to read it all and then make your own opinion as to what works best for you. If you want "A" to be right, you can find something on the internet to say "A" is right....along with something else as equally compelling that says "A" is wrong. There are two sides to every story and you can "prove your case" with so called documentation on the internet both ways so it's not the best source of information. Most on CP feel strongly about the diet they feed and what they feel is best nutrionally. You'll still find there's huge differences on those opinions. Doesn't make them right or wrong for you. It's what works for them.

With that said, all I'm gonna offer is my opinion based on the exact question. If you are purchasing food at Wal-mart, I would suggest Purina One.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
There's so many opinions on food that you'll have to read it all and then make your own opinion as to what works best for you.
That's true to a degree, but the basics are always the same - you want to avoid grain ( filler ), and the ingredients list should be mostly real foods ( i.e. not animal byproducts and lists of words you cant pronounce)

If it's a cost issue, check with local or regional pet stores (Mounds is the one in my area). They sometimes offer very good food thats packaged under their stores brand name, but is purchased from another manufacturer.

The Mounds brand here is quite good, all things considered.
If I couldn't get my brand of preference, I would definitely choose this option.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sometimes farm and feed stores carry Taste of the Wild or other premium foods. Our TSC (tractor supply) sells 4Health which is a very good, grain free food and it's quite cheap. I'd definitely do that before buying at Walmart.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If I absolutely had to feed one of those foods, I'd chose Purina One. However, I would exhaust all other options before doing so.

You live in NC. We lived there when I started upgrading my girls food and around the time I realized that it was the grains that were causing Lily's itchy skin.

There are several places that sell good food and decent prices (depending on your city of course). If you have a Pet Supermarket, they usually have very good prices and every 8th bag is free.

You can also order from many sites online and have it shipped right to your house.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've found by the bag, if you can plot it out and take advantage of special offers + free shipping it's worth purchasing dog food from specialty websites for stocking up on (in reasonable amounts) and store in air-tight tupperware.

Certainly you'll spend more up front but lets be honest, kibble lasts quite some time.

I personally use Eukanuba i'm afraid because i've tried quite a few of the higher end brands and the majority of them made my girl horribly horribly ill and I didn't want to stress her out anymore so I settled on Eukanuba. I did the transition from her old kibble to new just like instructed and still no dice, but I use the rice and lamb formula and it's very agreeable on her tummy. I do supplement for her to make sure she gets her nutrients and such but I find it's moderately affordable and a good bet for my house.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tricializ & Mchis- There are two reasons why. First there are no pet stores in my town and secondly at this time i could't afford the high end brands anyway.

Appleblossom- Thank you for the link! I will look it over. Do you know if there is a website like that one but for cat foods?

Brodysmom- Thank you for the tractor supply suggestion! I forgot they sell pet foods and i have one in my town. I will look there first and see if they have those brands you mentioned.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. I will go by the dog food review link that was given and look around my stores.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts