Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Im not 'yet' a Chihuahua owner but my husband and I are planning on one being our addition to the family!

We live in the UK and currently have a 4yr old English Bull Terrier whos a big softie, unfortunately shes become ill and although we're trying to get her sorted she cant go out on walks so we're hoping an addition to the family will give her a little friend to keep her company! (hopefully she wont be scared of a Chihuahua!)

Ive fostered loads of Bull breed dogs that needed rescuing and helped find them new homes, so venturing into the world of the Chihuahua is all gonna be new to me :p

We've been looking for a female tri colour short coat Chi puppy, but are really struggling to find one, that isnt sold straight away! :(

Anyway thats a bit about me! I hope you can help us learn more about Chihuahuas as I'll have lots of questions!...

Id like to know just how destructive they can be, do they have traits that cant be trained etc?

:hello1:

·
Registered
410 Posts
hey and welcome, my chihuahua is 3 and a 1/2 months and she didi not destroy anything (i was really suprised) but they shouldnt do much damage around the house ;)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Have you tried rescue shelters, considered older chi instead of puppy? I've had my chis since they were born and never have been destructive. Love these dogs so much & know you will too. Good Luck in finding one & WELCOME!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello and welcome! It's great that you're doing your homework before buying, I would really recommend checking out the Accredited Breeders list on the Kennel Club website for good reputable breeders. I hope you find your perfect baby soon. xx

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone :eek:
I did look into fostering Chi's first, or getting a rescue dog, but breed specific locally they seem even harder to find.
But as I was thinking about it - I figured a puppy will be easier to get used to living with a Bull Terrier rather than trying to find a Chi that already lives with a different breed dog etc, esp as I read that Chis are 'clan' like??

Ive contacted a few people tonight so maybe will have news soon :eek:

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Good luck on your search.
Once you have a chi you will wonder how you ever lived without one. lol
They are amazing wee dogs! x

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I now have a Chihuahua!! Well - next week.
Its was complete fate...
I really only wanted a Tri, female as I think their beautifull.
My husband and I had seen a little Tri girl and thought we'd secured her, although the breeder stated she'd got a deposit off someone else. Well we'd already thought of a name for her 'Pixie'. But obviously it wasnt to be..

I registered on this site as 'Pixie UK' too...
My husband then shouts me over to look at a Tri, girl and so weird - the breeder had already named her 'Pixie'!

I named her this as my favourite band is the Pixies...whom are from Boston USA, this little girl is from Boston UK?! She was obviously made for me haha.

So very excited about Pixies arrival next week. Although we've had loads of foster dogs none have been puppies so im going to check the internet about introducing puppies to adult dogs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome, my potential chi offer was fate too. Interesting story, but I shall share that in a thread of my own maybe.
I think I had a betta named Pixie at one time. Good luck getting ready for your new chi pup and introducing her to your other adult dog.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
you know, I get told all the time that Chihuahuas are yappy, barking, ankle-biting brats... I have *never* had a bad chihuahua and I have had at least one at a time since I was 6 yrs old (57 now).... all mine never barked much... never bit anyone.... always sociable and sweet dogs.... I think it all has to do with how much the owners train them and care for them..... if the owner thinks its cute because 'tiny' barks at Uncle Joe and lunges at him when he comes near.... well, then the little chi has learned its OK for those traits.....

train them well, socialize them, and most of all love them........ they are wonderful doggies........ I know you will make a wonderful mom and dad when you get your Chi.... but you MUST post lots and lots of pics..... we all like pics here....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts