Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pedro is on a vet prescription diet as he has had lots of food allergy problems. He can only tolerate venison/potato food. The vet prescribed one is Royal Canin Venison Formula Limited Ingredient Diet. His vet is at the Petsmart/Banfield place and not only do I want to change vets soon, but I also want to change his food to either Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet potato & Venison Formula or the Nutro Adult Natural Venison Meal & Potato Formula. My question is that I'd like to know if the Nutro and Natural Balance is just as good or better for Pedro than the vet prescribed one and is there any difference at all between the vet prescribed and the other two?

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i dont know anything about Nutro or Natural Balance dog food, but just wanted to let you know that Ziwipeak comes in venison

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I'm sorry Shelly, I really don't know. Back.....when I joined RC was the top food everybody was feeding it. I feed Zoey ZP Venison. She seems to do really well on that. I know the vet prescribed foods NEVER rate high on the scale. My guess is they would get a better rating then the vet prescribed food. But some odgs do better on them. I hope somebody will chime in that is more knowledgeable when it comes to food. When I get time later, I will check for you on Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would try him on Ziwipeak if he were my dog, ... the foods you listed though, are indeed higher rated than the vet prescription food. When Bryco was a pup he couldn't tolerate any of those, though, but did OK on the prescription one. Not great...but "ok". Switching to raw saved his life and was the best thing for him, for sure,and Ziwi is really close to that.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Leila and Finn are on this
Taste of the Wild : Products : Dogs : Dry Food : High Prairie Canine Formula
Its venison and sweet potato but also has other veggies in it but grain free. They are doing super on it.
Mine get Taste of the Wild Prairie Canine Formula, too, and they love it. My Bichon has allergies and he gets along fine with this food. My Yorkie was eating Beneful before she came to live with me and her skin was dry and her coat was dull. After a couple of months on Taste of the Wild, her skin is clear and her coat is shiny. They get fish oil, too, or flax seed oil, about every other day.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I would go with the ZiwiPeak, how do I gradually feed it to him? I know that with changing foods you have to gradually introduce the new food in small amounts and gradually increase the new food, but the ZiwiPeak is just a small amount fed anyway. So how would it be done?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
If I would go with the ZiwiPeak, how do I gradually feed it to him? I know that with changing foods you have to gradually introduce the new food in small amounts and gradually increase the new food, but the ZiwiPeak is just a small amount fed anyway. So how would it be done?
You could mix a little ZP in with his kibble, like a few squares at first. Then maybe one ZP meal a day and one kibble until you are feeding all ZiwiPeak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts