Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! :wave:

First I would like to say, that I am really happy to have found this board, after reading through several threads, the members here look like a great bunch Chihuahua lovers!

I am having difficulty finding a Chihuahua breeder in my area; I live in Rochester, New York. I contacted a breeder referral found on the American Kennel Club website, but some time has passed now and the person has not responded to my email. :?

What I am looking for is a female, smooth coat, fawn colored Chihuahua puppy from a responsible and reputable breeder in my area who will not mess around with me on the pricing. Could anyone from Rochester or the surrounding areas tell me who you picked up your Chihuahua from? Also, anyone with information or connections to breeders throughout the country please provide me with your input as well.

Much thanks, I really appreciate the assistance! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
You can try this web site....http://www.breeders.net/find.php?show=1
You just choose the breed you are looking for and put in your zip code. It will find breeders in your area.

You DO NOT have to put in your email address or subscribe to their adds or newsletter for it to work.

Choose your breed, put in your zip code then scroll down to where it says "Fetch" and click on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ms_P said:
You can try this web site....http://www.breeders.net/find.php?show=1
You just choose the breed you are looking for and put in your zip code. It will find breeders in your area.

You DO NOT have to put in your email address or subscribe to their adds or newsletter for it to work.

Choose your breed, put in your zip code then scroll down to where it says "Fetch" and click on it.
That web site is very helpful, thanks for the link Ms_P. :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question for everyone, the breeder that I have been in contact with, who lives 3 hours away from my location, quoted me a price of around $850.00 USD for a female Chihuahua puppy. Does that price sound reasonable and in check with the current rates? Thanks! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,323 Posts
Well I think it depends on where you live. I think lots of people get their chi's for that price. And for that price I'm assuming that the puppy has the papers and a health guarantee?? If not then I believe that is way too much. If you are willing to pay that price I think that you should go for it but if you are looking for something a bit cheaper, you'll find it if you look around a bit more. In my opinion it's really worth it to shop around and check out all of your options. :)

Oh BTW, Welcome! :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imkari said:
Well I think it depends on where you live. I think lots of people get their chi's for that price. And for that price I'm assuming that the puppy has the papers and a health guarantee?? If not then I believe that is way too much. If you are willing to pay that price I think that you should go for it but if you are looking for something a bit cheaper, you'll find it if you look around a bit more. In my opinion it's really worth it to shop around and check out all of your options. :)

Oh BTW, Welcome! :wave:
Hello, thanks for the welcome! :wave:

Here is a link to the breeder: http://www.breeders.net/breeder/136374. Take a look at that link and tell me what you think of the breeder for a price of $850.00. I spoke with the breeder on the telephone; she seems like a great person who sincerely cares about the puppies. I also spoke with a breeder referral from the AKC website and she had nothing but good things to say about this breeder.

Thanks for the help, I a newbie when it comes to purchasing a dog from a breeder and I don't want to be ripped off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
Hi Wizboy, welcome to the forums. :wave:
I am on the east coast too, PA to be exact and I found that prices are higher on the east coast than those I *heard* about on the west coast. Considering what I have seen many other breeders price their dogs for, that is a good price for this area, IMO. As long as she comes with papers and a health guarentee, I think it is something to consider. :)

Edit- I read that link and they seem like a very good breeder from what was written on the site, if you feel the right vibes and are hearing good things that is what matters! Good luck with your search.

Jessica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,323 Posts
After looking at what they have to say on the sight, I think it looks good. They come with health guarantee and are registered. And the sire is a champion. Ultimately it's your decision :) but I think it does look good. Are you within driving distance so that you can visit their residence and check out the puppies surroundings? Have they offered that option to you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imkari said:
After looking at what they have to say on the sight, I think it looks good. They come with health guarantee and are registered. And the sire is a champion. Ultimately it's your decision :) but I think it does look good. Are you within driving distance so that you can visit their residence and check out the puppies surroundings? Have they offered that option to you?
The breeder lives about 3.5 hours away from where I live, there aren't too many breeders in this area apparently. I did not specifically ask to visit the residence nor was it offered, but I have to pick up the puppy, so if something bothered me I just wouldn't purchase the puppy. Remember this is about a six hour round trip in perfect weather, so making visits would be difficult.

So $850.00 is reasonable then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imkari said:
I think so too. And that's true if you don't like anything, you could always change your mind. Good luck and keep us updated!
I most definitely will keep you guys and gals updated!

When I spoke with the breeder on the telephone Monday morning, she said the litter would be born around the end of February and the puppy would be ready for me to take home in April. I didn't realize that puppies were nursed by their mother for take long of a time. Though, I am glad to have the puppy come home with me in the springtime, more time to play outside! Gosh, I am excited! :blob8: Thanks all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Wizboy, an acquaintance of my daughter got an adorable chi from a breeder in Spencerport, NY. I don't have any further info, but living in Roch. you may be able to do some detective work and find the breeder.
Good luck. :)

P.S. I think $850.00 is a little steep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maureen said:
Wizboy, an acquaintance of my daughter got an adorable chi from a breeder in Spencerport, NY. I don't have any further info, but living in Roch. you may be able to do some detective work and find the breeder.
Good luck. :)

P.S. I think $850.00 is a little steep.
Hi Maureen, thanks for the reply.

I will see what I can dig up with this little piece of information.

Thanks everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
maureen said:
Wizboy, an acquaintance of my daughter got an adorable chi from a breeder in Spencerport, NY. I don't have any further info, but living in Roch. you may be able to do some detective work and find the breeder.
Good luck. :)

P.S. I think $850.00 is a little steep.
Hi Maureen, do you think it would be possible for you to check with your daughter about the breeder in Spencerport, NY? I called several animal hospitals and local farms in the area inquiring if they knew of this Chihuahua breeder somewhere in Spencerport and have come up with nothing. Do you know if this breeder is AKC registered because I couldn't find any record of a breeder in Spencerport that is with the AKC either? I would really appreciate if you could help here, because one of the closest breeders to me is over 3 hours away and if there were this Chihuahua breeder in Spencerport it would be only a 20-minute drive for me. Feel free to private message the contact information to me if you don't want to post telephone numbers/addresses on a public board. To be frank with you, I find it hard to believe that a dog owner, as conscientious as the others on this board, would happen to no longer have a stitch of information about the breeder from whom they bought their dog. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BlueMo0nz said:
Hello!

I just want to say PLEASE ADOPT HER!!! LOL!!!
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?ac...0ca-app4&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

read her profile and look at her picture. What more could you want in a chi? She sounds so perfect for you! Please consider adoption!
That Chi is soooo cute, unfortunately Binghamton, NY where this shelter is located is even further away then the breeder that is 3 hours away from me. Binghamton, NY is in southern NY and borders with Pennsylvania, I live in Rochester, near Lake Ontario, which is way upstate. Probably would be an 8 or 9 hour round trip in good weather and if I were to adopt this cutie I would need to see how she interacted with its surroundings and me. Hopefully she will find a good home!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top