Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am located in St. John's Newfoundland Canada and am looking for a puppy at a reasonable price from a breeder who is willing to ship to canada. I am a 22 year old university student with no small children and lots of time to devote to my new baby. My local breeder was asking 600 but her last litter turned out to be all smooth coat and she is not expecting another for 6 months or so. And so I'm back to the drawing board and hoping that somone on this site can help me find the my perfect chi baby.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
for some reason long haired chis are hard to find in the US and Canada , it was the opposite for me as I live in england you could get 20 litters of long haired to 1 litter of smooth, I set out wanting a smooth haired girl and ended up with a long haired boy ................ an d i wouldnt want it any other way , maybe you should take a look at some smooth haired ones and see if they are what you want............... at the end of the day they are all chihuahuas.............. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
long hair chis have more up keep...I like both types :) but I didn't want to comb poop out of the dogs hair and stuff...

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Where did you get the idea that you would have to "comb poop out of the dogs hair"?
I have a long haired chi and I don't. She has never gotten poop in her hair.
The only time there might be a problem would be the same with any other dog, they are sick or if they roll in it.
I like the look of the long hair and it gives a little extra warmth in the winter. That's why I got a long hair.
I will be getting my 2nd long hair any day now.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
yeah mine have never got poop in their hair either and I only eve brush them about once a month .............. they are no harder to groom than smooth haired :wave:

·
Registered
700 Posts
you only brush them once a month? hmm I thought they were alot of care with the hair thats why I wanted a short haired one. Gues I was wrong. All the long hair is soooo pretty on them I thought it would be more of a hassle

·
Registered
191 Posts
i got the idea from my grandmother who use to raise long hair chis long time ago that is what she told me and i too assumed that since i have owned other breeds of long hair dogs like west highland shih tzu and sheltie and they had the problem with there hair getting matted and poop getting tangled in it.....but i like the looks of both long hair and short...

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
no never had poop in hair - long haired chis are only supposed to be feathered around ears legs and tail and the main body is quite short less than an inch long ............ and doesnt need much care at all, here is a pic of my Lily so you can see the long haired better :wave:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the breeder here had pups two weeks ago today. she thought they would all be short haired but after a week called and told me that the runt of the litter (a male) is going to be long haired. So hes mine IF HE MAKES IT. So I keep praying, I'm going to call today and check on him. but I'm really scared that when I call she'll say he passed away. I fought myself against picking out a name yet becuase I thought I would be too hearbroken if I lost him but I don't think it mattered cause I'm in love iwth him already (and haven't even seen him!) So I keep praying. Will update everyone after I call in a couple hours.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am afraid to name him for fear that he will not make it and I will be heartbroken. However I usually pick out names ages in advance... I had Callisto (callie for short) picked out if I got a girl, and Cerberus for the boxer I intend to get one day when I have a huge house and yard. I always pick names from greek mythology but haven't come up with one for this little guy yet. any suggestions are welcome!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts