Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Penny and Lion on Orijen kibble. I know it is a great kibble, but I have heard that ZP is the closest thing to a real raw diet. I have a few questions and concerns about it, for those that feed ZP:

Have you noticed a difference in your dog between feeding kibble and ZP?

How long do puppies need to be fed double? This is my main concern, I won't be switching right away because feeding double would be too spendy for me. (I am sadly a student on a very limited budget).

Do your chis seem hungry all of the time, since you are only meant to feed a tiny amount?

Do you add anything to ZP? (water, canned ZP, chicken, eggs, etc?)

Do you think it is worth the extra money? Orijen or Acana costs me $18-$22 a bag depending on which flavor I buy. The bag usually lasts a month. ZP costs $30 for a 2.2 bag here.

How many times a day should they be fed?
I currently free feed Orijen, since I am on a weird work schedule and am unable to feed at regular times. They both are a good weight, but I will have to switch to meals with ZiwiPeak. My schedule in the fall will allow me to be home at the same time every day.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
448 Posts
$30 for a 2.2lb bag? My jaw dropped, literally. I thought Royal Canine was expensive at $40ish for a 10lb bag.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$30 for a 2.2lb bag? My jaw dropped, literally. I thought Royal Canine was expensive at $40ish for a 10lb bag.
Yes, it is very spendy, but you barely feed any of it from what I have read off of the bag. A 6.6 lb dog gets a 1/2 scoop per day, which is not much at all.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
This is the best web price that I have found:
ZiwiPeak ZiwiPeak Daily-Dog Cuisine Venison Real Meat Dry Dog Food | PetFlow.com

I buy 3 2.2 lb. bags at a time and also get free shipping.

Truly, as one who has had my girls on a dozen kibble foods, this one is the "you get what you pay for" example.
NO fillers. Period. I'd contend if you removed fillers, I was paying more for some kibble food. This is the ONLY food that mine with chronic colitis can tolerate and she is 1000% better now on it. I was also shocked at the improvement in Ruby's coat (we got her at 14 weeks) once she was on it. She felt soft but nothing like Hope. I even asked here if color difference affected coat feel!
Seriously, her coat became shiny and now feels like velvet!

Right now I do not add anything to the food but I will. Cottage cheese, scramble eggs, cooed meats, etc.

You are correct about measurement. The girls get between 1/3 and 1/2 scoop 2x/day. I plan to feed them double until age 1. So, it is not measured like kibble. it is a very calorie and nutrient dense food.

I add warm water to their food. For Hope it aids digestion and Ruby is not a drinker and it is a way that I can get water in her.

No, they do not seem hungry. Again, do not let serving size fool you. Think if you ate the same size/weight/pound of steak or popcorn (toooooooo many foods still use fillers like corn). Which one would fill you up and "stay" with you longer?

Is it worth it? It is more than worth it to me. I have (NOW) very, very healthy girls. And they LOVE their food!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks Karen for posting this :) That is a good deal...especially with free delivery. I usually get mine from Petfood Direct but their shipping is very $$$

I feed Raw but LOVE ZiwiPeak on lazy days :rolleyes: I need to post some new pictures of Lacey and show some before and after pictures of her. She looks amazing now...beautiful soft, shiney coat:D

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Once they also offered $5 off any order. I think that it was a facebook deal. If they offer again, I will post.

When you feed ZP, how much are you feeding each?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the best web price that I have found:
ZiwiPeak ZiwiPeak Daily-Dog Cuisine Venison Real Meat Dry Dog Food | PetFlow.com

I buy 3 2.2 lb. bags at a time and also get free shipping.

Truly, as one who has had my girls on a dozen kibble foods, this one is the "you get what you pay for" example.
NO fillers. Period. I'd contend if you removed fillers, I was paying more for some kibble food. This is the ONLY food that mine with chronic colitis can tolerate and she is 1000% better now on it. I was also shocked at the improvement in Ruby's coat (we got her at 14 weeks) once she was on it. She felt soft but nothing like Hope. I even asked here if color difference affected coat feel!
Seriously, her coat became shiny and now feels like velvet!

Right now I do not add anything to the food but I will. Cottage cheese, scramble eggs, cooed meats, etc.

You are correct about measurement. The girls get between 1/3 and 1/2 scoop 2x/day. I plan to feed them double until age 1. So, it is not measured like kibble. it is a very calorie and nutrient dense food.

I add warm water to their food. For Hope it aids digestion and Ruby is not a drinker and it is a way that I can get water in her.

No, they do not seem hungry. Again, do not let serving size fool you. Think if you ate the same size/weight/pound of steak or popcorn (toooooooo many foods still use fillers like corn). Which one would fill you up and "stay" with you longer?

Is it worth it? It is more than worth it to me. I have (NOW) very, very healthy girls. And they LOVE their food!!
It sounds like your girls are doing great on this food. I have 2 full bags of Orijen left, and then I will be making the switch. I think that by adding eggs, meat, etc. into the food, I can stretch the bag of ZP out a little longer. That should help keep the cost down, I hope.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You definitely can "stretch" the ziwi like you described by adding eggs, meat, cottage cheese, etc. The biggest benefit I saw of using a food like Ziwipeak (we still use it on trips and on lazy days!) is reduced shedding, smaller stools, and healthy skin and coat as well as eyes (less tearing, boogeys). If you are comfortable, giving them a raw chicken wing 2-3 times a week will cut feeding costs too, AND help promote dental health :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I forgot to say -- when I was doubling the portion for puppies...they get MAJORLY fat. It is a super dense food...a double portion was too much for them. Maybe larger breeds need double, but honestly it was too much for a teeny chichi.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You definitely can "stretch" the ziwi like you described by adding eggs, meat, cottage cheese, etc. The biggest benefit I saw of using a food like Ziwipeak (we still use it on trips and on lazy days!) is reduced shedding, smaller stools, and healthy skin and coat as well as eyes (less tearing, boogeys). If you are comfortable, giving them a raw chicken wing 2-3 times a week will cut feeding costs too, AND help promote dental health :)
I will look into getting raw chicken wings. Is there anything I should watch out for in store bought chicken?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$30 for 2 pounds of food? About how long would that last? Curious. I feed blue buffalo to my cats and will for my pups too.
My sister feeds Blue Buffalo to her chi, I think it is between $15-20 a bag and doesn't quite last a month. Orijen and Acana are about the same price, and for just Lion a 5.5lb bag lasted almost 3 months. I haven't tried ZP yet, but from what I have read a 2.2lb bag would last between 3-4 weeks for one chi.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to add, when you are feeding a higher quality food, they require a lot less. So even the 2.2 lb bag of ZP is smal the daily serving for each dog is tiny. I have a sample bag, I will try and get a photo of the daily serving.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Once they also offered $5 off any order. I think that it was a facebook deal. If they offer again, I will post.

When you feed ZP, how much are you feeding each?
I give Lacey (9 mos and 2lbs 5oz) 1 tablespoon per feeding (fed 3x day). Addy (5lbs 10oz) also gets 1 tablespoon per feeding....she is fat ...IMO:rolleyes: The bigger doggies....7.4 lbs and 9 lbs get 2 tablespoons per feeding. I dont use the scoop provided. I also LOVE the canned ZP. When I feed that...I weigh it and feed according to the Raw feeding chart by my doggies weight. Sometimes I will give both....wet and top with dry. The pups LOVE that :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Interesting. I'm always looking for ways to feed the best without going full out raw. 1 tablespoon seems like hardly anything lol. I guess as with everything it's different for each individual dog. What are the ingredients? I can't get their website to load.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. I'm always looking for ways to feed the best without going full out raw. 1 tablespoon seems like hardly anything lol. I guess as with everything it's different for each individual dog. What are the ingredients? I can't get their website to load.

Here, I just copied the ingredient list for the Lamb ZP food off of the site:

Lamb - ‘Daily-Dog' Cuisine 5kg/11lb - 1kg/2.2lb

INGREDIENTS: Lamb - Meat (min. 65%), Liver, Tripe, Heart and Kidney (min. 19.5%), Chicory Inulin, Green-lipped Mussel (min. 4%), Fish Oil, Lecithin, Kelp, Vitamins and Minerals, Parsley, Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, Additives: Vit. D3 592 IU/kg, Vit. E 7.4mg/kg, Copper (copper proteinate) 9.8mg/kg. Calories 1854 KJ/100g.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Protein (min.) 33% Ash (max.) 8%
Fat (min.) 27% Fibre (max.) 1.5%
Moisture (max.) 15% Calcium 2%
Phosphorus P 1.1%

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What are the ingredients?
I'm a hard core raw feeder but I love ziwipeak and use it in my rotation. It's great for traveling and a top notch food. I highly recommend it. You'd be surprised how long a 2.2 pound bag lasts. There are 3 flavors, lamb, venison and fish, and venison. All sourced from New Zealand. The ingredients are excellent and speak for themselves ....

From the website ...Natural Range Of Premium Pet-food Products - Ziwipeak - Natural New Zealand Pet Nutrition

ZiwiPeak ‘Cuisine Meat Food' comes in two ranges: ZiwiPeak 'Daily-Dog' and 'Daily-Cat'. Each is available in a array of meat choices in both air-dried pouches and easy-tab cans. ZiwiPeak 'Cuisine' has the added advantage of New Zealand Green-Lipped Mussel and essential vitamins and minerals.

Lamb -

INGREDIENTS: Lamb - Meat (min. 65%), Liver, Tripe, Heart and Kidney (min. 19.5%), Chicory Inulin, Green-lipped Mussel (min. 4%), Fish Oil, Lecithin, Kelp, Vitamins and Minerals, Parsley, Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, Additives: Vit. D3 592 IU/kg, Vit. E 7.4mg/kg, Copper (copper proteinate) 9.8mg/kg. Calories 1854 KJ/100g.

Venison & Fish -

INGREDIENTS: Venison - Meat (min. 50%), Liver, Tripe, Heart and Kidney (min. 19.5%), Fish (min. 15%), Chicory Inulin, Green-lipped Mussel (min. 4%), Fish Oil, Lecithin, Kelp, Vitamins and Minerals, Parsley, Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, Additives: Vit. D3 592 IU/kg, Vit. E 7.4mg/kg, Copper (copper proteinate) 9.8mg/kg. Calories 1778 KJ/100g.

Venison -

INGREDIENTS: Venison - Meat (min. 65%), Liver, Tripe, Heart and Kidney (min. 19.5%), Chicory Inulin, Green-lipped Mussel (min. 4%), Fish Oil, Lecithin, Kelp, Vitamins and Minerals, Parsley, Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, additives: Vit. D3 592 IU/kg, Vit. E 7.4mg/kg, Copper (copper proteinate) 9.8mg/kg. Calories 1794 KJ/100g.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Goodness! It is a wonder that my girls are not enormous with the amount that I have been feeding them! I have to get out my tablespoon and measure what I am feeding them by tablespoon. I am guessing they eat more than your big dogs!!
Hope is just right sized and Ruby is a bag of bones. SKINNY bones! haha!
May be time to scale back....

T-how much do you feed Brody??

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
T-how much do you feed Brody??
Gosh, I'm not a measurer. I just take out a pinch from the bag. Does that make sense? Probably 10-15 squares? I don't feed it daily, I use it for traveling or when I have forgotten to thaw something or just need something quick and easy. He LOOOOOOOOOOOOVES it. :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I dont feed exclusively either. I also monitor their weight regularly to be sure they are getting adequate amounts. They get treats too thru out the day. Usually dehydrated liver or chicken....and the bully stick of course :D

Reason I use a tablespoon to measure is I have a small glass jar on the counter that I keep the ZP in. I keep the bag in the freezer since it may take me 6-8 weeks to go thru a full 2.2lb bag. The Tbls measure fits perfectly in the jar. Ive just got it down to who gets how many scoops. Its also easy to reach in and give as a treat...which they also love...if that makes sense;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts