Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wanted to let you all know to be on the lookout. I bought Zoey a new bag of ZP the other night. The first night I fed her it was a bit dark and I did notice it "smelled" stronger but last night when I fed her I noticed it was more moist then dry. I got to looking at it and it was moldy. You could see that some of the peices were totally moldy. I took it back to the store and they gave me a new bag with a different lot # and we checked and it was fine. So if your ZP looks more mosit then usual and has a stronger smell be on the lookout.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said it could mold if left in a hot car but it has been to cold around here and it was not left in the car.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i just opened a new small bag of lamb ziwi. it seems nice and moist. i will have to look at it closer. thanks for posting this

·
Registered
912 Posts
I just got Lamb for the first time from an online supplier. It was moist, and smelled sort of sweet. I bagged it up and stuck it in the freezer since I'm not quite ready for it, but now I'm wondering...

Did you happen to record the lot # on the bag? (fat chance, I know ;))

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Wow, never had that happen before! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Thanks for posting! I have definitely noticed some are more moist or dry than other batches. The lamb I think is usually more moist. Never found mold or a different odor though! I wonder if maybe the bag in question got sat in some water or something & maybe had a hole in it?? Just a thought. But still good to know especially because I plan to pick some up tomorrow!!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did check the bag real good for holes and didn't see Any damage to the bag. The ZP should not be moist. It should be dry like beef jerky. I'm sorry I didn't get the lot number off the bag. I will still use ZP but will just be aware now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:this is gonna sound stupid-what is ziwipeak??ive heard it mentioned b4 on here n i know its something the pups eat n like-lol-but what is it??:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Yes but beef jerky is somewhat moist. :) Some lots I've gotten of ZP are REALLY dry....
You may or may not have seen a post from me about this some time back. All of the bags I had initially were thick, moist pieces and then I got a bag of much drier, thinner pieces. I contacted them to ask before I fed. They indicated a difference in how and where the animal feed. If the animals were leaner it would result in the slightly thinner, drier product.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have also noticed some bags are more moist than others. The Lamb usually has the most moisture, and the pieces are thick. The venison is usually drier and thin.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You may or may not have seen a post from me about this some time back. All of the bags I had initially were thick, moist pieces and then I got a bag of much drier, thinner pieces. I contacted them to ask before I fed. They indicated a difference in how and where the animal feed. If the animals were leaner it would result in the slightly thinner, drier product.
I have also noticed some bags are more moist than others. The Lamb usually has the most moisture, and the pieces are thick. The venison is usually drier and thin.
No I did not see that post--but it makes perfect sense! I also notice the lamb is more moist which is a reason I tend to get the lamb more often than the venison formulas. :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Venison is all I get. Hope had issues with lamb (not ZP lamb, some freeze dried lamb lung) so I have stayed with just one variety to keep her on level ground. I have noticed this difference even within this one variety.

I did get the ZP lamb treats once and while she seemed to do fine with them, I found them kind of greasy.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have always just fed the venison and have never had it moist before, it has always been very dry. I used to mix it with a bit of water at feeding but Zoey would take mouthfuls to the carpet to eat and it would stain the carpet so I just feed it dry now. But it was the mold I was worried about. Just wanted to Share it with you all.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I didnt see the thread.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Definitely mold is a different issue!!

Hey Karen...do you buy the 11lb bags? If not you should look into it...it's MUCH more economical! :) The store I buy from doesn't carry them but they special order it for me when I ask them to. You end up getting like almost 2lbs extra for the same price in small bags if I remember correctly.

But that's interesting the reason behind why the different dryness...good to know! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts