Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photo was taken around 1960?? My grandparents holding their
little dog named Timmy. I remember being told he was a Toy Manchester; but,
this is his adult size. When Grandpa first brought him home, he had him in his coat pocket.
Grandma was a bit leary at first, but curiosity got the better of her and she reached
in to get the tiniest puppy she had ever seen. She named him Tiny Tim.

Now that I look at the photo, I wonder if he wasn't a black and tan Chi.
Could be a Brody or Bella ancestor.... you never know!

Most importantly, Timmy was the reason I got my first Chi. I was looking for a
Toy Manchester in Southern California in the 1980's. Well, that was Chihuahua
territory for sure! So, I brought home my first little Chi--
tucked inside my sweatshirt pocket. :)

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
there is a very small dog called the manchester terrier, i saw one on the tv at crufts!!! he looks very like timmy

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Hmm, he looks more Chi to me than a toy Manchester Terrier. The Manchester pics I've seen have a longer & wider muzzle & while their weights can range from 6-8lbs...they are more lean making me think they'd be much taller than the pup you posted. Then again we all know how much Chi size can varry so that doesn't hold much in itself.

But I say little Timmy looks more Chi to me. ;) He is a cutie no matter what though...awwww!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, I don't know one way or the other what Timmy's breed may have been. Chihuahuas breed standard has changed so much over the years, I imagine maybe the Manchester's has changed some too? But I wanted to say that I really enjoyed the photo and the story that went along with it! :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a Manchester Terrier-the standard size. Yes that's a Toy Manchester, back at about the time your pic was taken breeders had been going smaller & smaller in size but lost a lot of musculature and form. They did begin to resemble Chi's. My first grooming job was with a couple of older ladies who had several breeds that they were showing and one was Manchesters-both sizes. I remember them saying that several breeders got into trouble for slipping Chi's in to decrease the toy size during the late 50's and early 60's.They ended up with the tiny frame and Chi features like the ears instead of the narrow ears- MT features- LOL, I've always thought that Hunter's head resembled a dragon!:D
Just a little side note, my Hunter came from those 2 ladies and he's just had his 18th B'day with not one white or gray hair on him. He still rules and doesn't mind a tussle at all. His uncle-Stryker- was 21 when he crossed the Bridge in his sleep one night!
I love seeing pics of these guys, the MinPin has kind of overshadowed them!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words!

I still think of Timmy and what a wonderful little guy he was.
He loved to play outside, chase mice, dig holes in the yard,
and dance for a piece of roast beef... He really is the reason
I have such a love for little dogs.

I have a Manchester Terrier-the standard size. Yes that's a Toy Manchester, back at about the time your pic was taken breeders had been going smaller & smaller in size but lost a lot of musculature and form. They did begin to resemble Chi's. My first grooming job was with a couple of older ladies who had several breeds that they were showing and one was Manchesters-both sizes. I remember them saying that several breeders got into trouble for slipping Chi's in to decrease the toy size during the late 50's and early 60's.They ended up with the tiny frame and Chi features like the ears instead of the narrow ears- MT features- LOL, I've always thought that Hunter's head resembled a dragon!:D
Just a little side note, my Hunter came from those 2 ladies and he's just had his 18th B'day with not one white or gray hair on him. He still rules and doesn't mind a tussle at all. His uncle-Stryker- was 21 when he crossed the Bridge in his sleep one night!
I love seeing pics of these guys, the MinPin has kind of overshadowed them!
Thank you for your very informative post! There is no way of knowing where my
Grandfather got Timmy. He was very active in buying and selling/trading cars, horses,
and antiques. I'm sure he bartered with someone to get Timmy.
Grandpa got the best end of that deal, for sure!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So interesting! I loved Wahmom's post about toy manchesters! Back when I was showing dogs they had a NOT so nice reputation for being tiny little fragile creatures and were often called "rats on a rope" when you'd see one in the ring!! Terrible for people to say that as I think toy manchesters are absolutely gorgeous!

I think TMT were popular in the 60's. I think that's probably what he was. A very cute and striking little guy!! Loved the pic!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
....Back when I was showing dogs they had a NOT so nice reputation for being tiny little fragile creatures and were often called "rats on a rope" when you'd see one in the ring!! Terrible for people to say that as I think toy manchesters are absolutely gorgeous!

I think TMT were popular in the 60's. I think that's probably what he was. A very cute and striking little guy!! Loved the pic!
I loved that little rat on a rope :D LOL!

·
Registered
778 Posts
"Grandpa got the best end of that deal, for sure!"
Your pic shows what a special little guy Timmy was! Thanks for sharing it.:D

"Thank you for your very informative post!"

So interesting! I loved Wahmom's post about toy manchesters! Back when I was showing dogs they had a NOT so nice reputation for being tiny little fragile creatures and were often called "rats on a rope" when you'd see one in the ring!! Terrible for people to say that as I think toy manchesters are absolutely gorgeous!

Between the 2 ladies there were Italian Greyhounds,Saluki's & Manchester Terriers. They were what I nicely call Steel Magnolias-:D- both up in years but always on the road to another show. The dog I mentioned-Stryker-was excused from the ring at Westminster because the one thing he wouldn't tolerate was ANYONE touching his "mom",yup, he had a go at the judge in breed when she touched Patsy on the arm in passing:rolleyes:
Sadly both women are gone now but I still remember the stories they told me of all their years showing! At that time there were only about 12 kennels that had MT's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts