Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that it matters, but I have been thinking about what made my Chi so expensive. The lady that I got him from said she paid $500 for him at a pet shop. When I think of a high priced pup, I see a much smaller chi with a short nose and with perfect markings. My nachos is almost 8 pounds with a longer nose and he is tall. I asked for his papers so I could research his blood line for fun but she didnt have any papers. :confused: When you pay that much you expect show quality right? Giving her the benefit of the doubt I thought maybe she had be had by the pet shop.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Where did you find a pet store chi for $500? They're $1200 here. She may have been telling the truth. In VA, hobby kennels are not regulated and pet stores get their dogs from hobby kennels, most of whihc are really puppy mills. AKC does not always mean bred to standard. It just means the parents were registered.

·
Registered
881 Posts
That seems a fair price you would pay more for a chi cross here. I payed £1200 (just under $2000) for my first bitch, no offence meant to my baby but I was ripped off!!

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
I paid $1200.00 for Chico.... his breeder shows dogs and is the President for Maryland club of chihuahuas. I can't imagine $500 for show quality...I would think it would be much more for show

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not that it matters, but I have been thinking about what made my Chi so expensive. The lady that I got him from said she paid $500 for him at a pet shop. When I think of a high priced pup, I see a much smaller chi with a short nose and with perfect markings. My nachos is almost 8 pounds with a longer nose and he is tall. I asked for his papers so I could research his blood line for fun but she didnt have any papers. :confused: When you pay that much you expect show quality right? Giving her the benefit of the doubt I thought maybe she had be had by the pet shop.. any thoughts?
In our part of the country (I live fairly close to Nachopup) you can buy a very nice chichuhua for alot less that $500.00, no it wouldn't be "show" quality but much closer to chihuahua standards. I think the prices range alot depending on where you live. There are some good breeders that arn't terrible far from us and they sell very pretty small pups reasonable (pet quality) I don't how much pet shops charge, I stay away from those places.

·
Registered
787 Posts
In my area, pet shops that sell dogs (at least one chain I know of) sell nearly all their puppies for between $800-$1500, including 'designer' mixes. I think, in general, folks who purchase from pet stores don't have a sense of what an appropriate price would be, or they would protest such high prices! I can guarantee no puppy purchased from a pet store was bred to show quality standards. Commercial kennels are about quantity rather than quality.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Generally speaking pet store pups aren't very desirable, fear of puppy mills etc. come to mind but i've seen local pups go for anywhere from $100-2500 here.

I paid $150 for Gretel to a friend, and $195 for Godric to a breeder.

Neither are to "standard" but I don't love them any less.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My Chi was way cheaper than that, but she isn't registered, and is definitely not bred to standard, but she's perfect in my eyes.. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Where did you find a pet store chi for $500? They're $1200 here. She may have been telling the truth. In VA, hobby kennels are not regulated and pet stores get their dogs from hobby kennels, most of whihc are really puppy mills. AKC does not always mean bred to standard. It just means the parents were registered.

whoa 1200! my randy was $400, and he has decent markings.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I paid $1500 for apple and for a chi her quality i would say thats pretty much the going rate.... i wouldnt even think twice of paying that again for another chi if their personality/temperment/conformation was like apple she is perfect.....and i will say that pet store prices are like daylight robbery the prices they charge are insane and your not even guaranteed that ur dog is from a reputable breeder half the time....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I paid $1125.00 for Zoey from a craptastic byb and paid about $800 for Sebastian who was show potential...he didn't end up being show material so I had him neutered and breeder refunded me 1/2 the money. Chi's in petstores here go anywhere from $400-$999.99. My Ziva (miniature Pinscher) came from a petstore (I rescued her from someone who bought her), her original price was $899.99 but she was on 'clearance' lol for 1/2 price as she was older (3 months old)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
$500.00 is cheap in my area as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
every pup around here is around $1100-$1200.
but i think my mom got randy from a breeders store(they also had animals that needed to be adopted) and she paid 400. but it was christmas.... and they were having a sale so ummmm.... lol.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
$500 in my area would get you an out of standard pup from a BYB trying to make a few bucks on their pets. We have VERY few (2 or 3) good "hobby breeders" in our state who sell their pups for between $700-$900 in my area...some of those are bred in standard & some are bred out of standard. But all of those breeders dogs are healthy Chihuahuas that are bred for the sole purpose of creating healthy, socialized, well tempered pet Chihuahua puppies. Do some end up in a show ring? They sure have...but the majority go to pet homes.

For the record...no responsible "breeder" would sell their puppies to a pet store. 99.9% of puppies purchased at a pet store were created by a puppy mill. Never EVER get a puppy from a pet store because you would be supporting the puppy mill practice. Saying that, I know you did not purchase your pup from a pet store & the fact that he was purchased from a pet store initially doesn't matter at this point... He now has a wonderful home with people who love him very much & that is most important! But for future reference...I had to add the bit in about pet store puppies. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
$500 in my area would get you an out of standard pup from a BYB trying to make a few bucks on their pets. We have VERY few (2 or 3) good "hobby breeders" in our state who sell their pups for between $700-$900 in my area...some of those are bred in standard & some are bred out of standard. But all of those breeders dogs are healthy Chihuahuas that are bred for the sole purpose of creating healthy, socialized, well tempered pet Chihuahua puppies. Do some end up in a show ring? They sure have...but the majority go to pet homes.

For the record...no responsible "breeder" would sell their puppies to a pet store. 99.9% of puppies purchased at a pet store were created by a puppy mill. Never EVER get a puppy from a pet store because you would be supporting the puppy mill practice. Saying that, I know you did not purchase your pup from a pet store & the fact that he was purchased from a pet store initially doesn't matter at this point... He now has a wonderful home with people who love him very much & that is most important! But for future reference...I had to add the bit in about pet store puppies. :)

ooo really? i didnt know. and yes he has a very loving home. :) .

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Chico is registered but.... in my eyes it doens't matter the price a doggie costs or if he/she is registered....if they are your best friend and have a loving home..... that is all that matters....... unconditional love..........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts