Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here using this. I would like to know what kind you use and where to get it. I used the disposable ones but I think it's a waste of money. And then I tried potty patch thinking it would be better because I could just clean it. It was great at the beginning. Smeagol loved to go there but then after awhile he didn't want to use it anymore and I couldn't get the stink out. It's just awful. I've read about the washable one and want to know more about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I wondered about these as well. I spend a fortune on the paper ones I use now. Mine are "draggers" and drag everything around the floor so for now I use the pads that fit in a holder.

Hopefully, once Hope's stools are not soft, these would work great. Right now, it requires a wiping up rather than a picking up and I'd feel that I was washing out baby diapers!

One breeder we met with uses washable adult incontinence pads that a family member orders for her through a nursing home they own.

Once they are older I'd really like to use these.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I work in a hospital and got a bunch of the ones they use for the patients. I used them when I only had Mia. I got tired of washing them in my machine because my machine always smelled like pee. I stopped using them when I got a new washer/dryer. Now I use the disposable ones from Sam's club....they are for people and are called underpads. I get a box of 120 for $25.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i use the Pooch Pads brand also. i got the big size. i got them at Petedge, but they dont carry them there anymore , they carry a different brand i think of washable ones.
i started using them when minnie and tootsie were older puppies, they were shredding up there disposable ones, so as soon as i got these ones it just worked out perfect. The Pooch Pads are expensived but well worth it :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I got mine on Ebay. My dad and I actually split a box of 12 and I think we paid a total of $35, if I remember right. More or less, they are the same type of cloth pads (with waterproof bottom) as the ones they use in nursing homes and hospitals. I absolutely love them and Coco and Cabo both took to using them immediately.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We use the Poochpads ones....the long term savings are definately worth the initial expense!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I work in a hospital and got a bunch of the ones they use for the patients. I used them when I only had Mia. I got tired of washing them in my machine because my machine always smelled like pee. I stopped using them when I got a new washer/dryer. Now I use the disposable ones from Sam's club....they are for people and are called underpads. I get a box of 120 for $25.
Definitely something to think about. Maybe wash them by hands?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Definitely something to think about. Maybe wash them by hands?
Ewwwwwwwie :(

With 6 dogs the disposable ones are the only way to go for us...but if I only had one, I still am not sure I'd ever put some pee covered thing in my washing machine, my sink, my bathtub, etc. I would buy maybe 1 or 2 and see what you think of them before spending a lot.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

With 6 dogs the disposable ones are the only way to go for us...but if I only had one, I still am not sure I'd ever put some pee covered thing in my washing machine, my sink, my bathtub, etc. I would buy maybe 1 or 2 and see what you think of them before spending a lot.
Lol...I guess you're right. I will buy one and see how we like it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have been thinking about using these for Pixel.

I do use them for my guinea pigs in the bottom of their cages. The way to combat the washing machine of smelling of pee is to add some white vinegar to the softner drawer (and NEVER use softner as it stops them working).

They work amazingly well in the cages so it does make sense for using them for a dog too.

·
Registered
768 Posts

I also work in a hospital but i pick up the disposable incontience pads u put on chair/beds for the old people.. they are just like pee pads!! saves me alot but have to be careful doing it!!

I totally agree, i dont think i would want to share my washing machine with pee pads! but if i had to spend out the cost of pee pads (which i dont) and the washable ones worked out cheaper i would consider it, i know how expensive pee pads can be.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I've never had a problem putting gross laundry in the washer. When our girls were little, they were bed wetters so I'd have pee soaked sheets (and I mean soaked) almost every day. Just ran them on hot. Never once noticed any kind of smell in the washer. They'd get sick sometimes too and throw up in bed and so I've had a LOT of vomit and pee (and even poop!) in the washer and never had a bit of a problem with it. The sheets always came out smelling fresh and clean and never any residual odor at all. I never even considered washing them out first or that it would affect other loads of laundry.

Maybe it depends on the quality of your washer? Never a problem at all here. When you have children, all kinds of stuff goes in the laundry. ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I stopped by babies r us today and got 2 pack of crib pads for $9.99. I figured if some of you use the pads for patients then I can use these. I will give them a try and see how it goes. I hope it goes well and I won't have a problem washing them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts