Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those of you who use washable potty pads. I have thought about them but I am worried the dogs will be confused because they are fabric. I mean, I have taught them to go on a paper pad, not the fabric rug......do they learn to use them because of where they are located? What has your experience been with them and what did you do to transition to the washable pads, if anything?

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i love the washable pads. when minnie and tootsie were puppies i didnt know about the washable kind. and they would shred the paper ones. then i found out about the washable ones when they were about 6 months old and there really was no trasition. i just put them down where i usually put the throw away kind.
it really works out good because i have my girls used to going either outside or inside on the pee pads. its especially good for me when the weather is bad.
there is one downside though... well , i havent tried it recently but i dont think i can put scatter rugs down... i think it confuses them and they think the rug is a pee pad

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We are in the process of transitioning from the grass potty patches (which I really didn't have a problem with, I just needed something more washable. I no longer care about the aesthetics of it... I do think grass patches look better but F that, I hate cleaning them lol. It's not difficult, just annoying. With the white pads, I can see ASAP if anyone soils it so I can clean it up right away. I need to order more so I can have full back up but now that we're moving I'm not sure where all in the house I'll want them.
But to answer your actual question LOL I have never had an issue with dogs soiling like-fabric things; but I also don't have many options for them either. We don't have many rugs other than in the bathrooms and the dogs don't go in them anyway.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Elaine wrote my answer word for word.

Once one of them decided to shred one, I switched to washable. I put them EXACTLY where the paper (I had those in a holder) one was and zero issue.

Eden, for some odd reason, decided when she came home to us that she does not want to potty on their pad but in the entryway so I put a pad there and issue solved.

I launder pads every other day. I add vinegar to the rinse water. Only occasionally have I added the safe care bleach.

I have been using them well over a year. Easy. I did buy quite a few up front so that expense was a one time big expense. Not buying paper pads every month, they have paid for themselves.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I think I may give them a try. Taz has decided that shredding her potty pad is great fun but I don't think cleaning them up is great fun. I have carpet in most of my house but Karen I see you have lots of carpet or rugs so that is reassuring. One question - you said you launder pads every other day. Do you put a clean one down each day and then just wash the dirty ones every other day? I don't mean to be nosy - I know you are a better housekeeper than I am from things you have posted - so just trying to get an idea of how many pads I would want to get.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Never heard of washable puppy pads before, they probably don't do them in the UK but they sound great as we have quite a lot of shredding when our kids are in 'the mood'

Could someone let me know the brand name so I can search the UK.

Thanks Angie

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I wash mine every few days. Basically whenever they get soiled. But ours are just down as a secondary back-up potty... poop is always picked up immediately and flushed. They don't use them much, so I only end up washing them on the mornings when someone had to go overnight.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Never heard for these but I am all for saving money in the long run will have to find some of these or I wonder what is used to make them and have my Mom make me some. I am guessing materials like in what she used to do my kids cloth baby diapers would work but sewed in a square possibly?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Never heard for these but I am all for saving money in the long run will have to find some of these or I wonder what is used to make them and have my Mom make me some. I am guessing materials like in what she used to do my kids cloth baby diapers would work but sewed in a square possibly?
They are fabric on one side, and a waterproof lining on the other. The ones I've seen are larger than a regular paper pad (which are around 22" x 22"....more or less depending on the brand, but that's a general size guideline) and typically the fabric is white or light colored, and quilted.

I keep telling myself I'm going to invest in a few, and then I get caught up in life and don't! One day......... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.