Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering wat being on a waiting list for a pup actually means?
Like the breeder may not know exactly how many pups the dog will have till they are born, they dont know if they will be male or female etc, so how many people do they put on their waiting lists?
And is it 1st come 1st served or wat?
Does it gaurentee u a chance to buy a pup or might they just forget about u by the time the pups are born if they have enough new people interested??
Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
For me, I keep a dated waiting list for approved homes. When I have companion puppies to place, I contact the people on the waiting list first prior to making them available to "the general public." So if I have one long coat boy and one smooth coat girl, then I look on my waiting list for the ones that are looking for those particulars. I contact them to see if they are still interested (some people get pups other places and don't let me know to take them off my list) and if so, I send them pictures and the info on the puppy. If not, I go to the next person on the list. In a manner of speaking it's first come first served because I go down the list based on who was put on it first, so the person listed in May is gonna get a call before the person listed in June.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
I would of generally thought it was first come first serve in the manner Lisa says she does things

....but i was talking to a breeder recently who was expecting pups and she said she was collecting names of interested people then would place the pups with who she thought would be most suitable for each pup based on whether they wanted to show/breed or a pet and other factors

so i would find out from the breeder you are talking to how they do things ... i would also keep in regular contact with them to let them know ur still interested

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would of generally thought it was first come first serve in the manner Lisa says she does things

....but i was talking to a breeder recently who was expecting pups and she said she was collecting names of interested people then would place the pups with who she thought would be most suitable for each pup based on whether they wanted to show/breed or a pet and other factors

so i would find out from the breeder you are talking to how they do things ... i would also keep in regular contact with them to let them know ur still interested
The matching to the proper household should be an automatic thing and I didn't think to itemize the list of how the placements are done. I was giving the basics. I don't place show pups but pet puppies are matched with the appropriate family based on their needs and the pups temperment. The person who wants to do agility or obedience or take the dog every where they go in life needs a different puppy than the family who stays home more and leads a sedentary lifestyle. Every breeder should do this and I honestly didn't think to break it down.

You are right though, find out for sure how this breeder handles the waiting list and how they do the matching. We can not predict what kinda puppy is going to be available for each litter, nor how long it will be before we have a pup that suits your needs. I would also ask how long you are kept on the list and if they contact you before removing your name. Just a thought.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The matching to the proper household should be an automatic thing and I didn't think to itemize the list of how the placements are done. I was giving the basics. I don't place show pups but pet puppies are matched with the appropriate family based on their needs and the pups temperment. The person who wants to do agility or obedience or take the dog every where they go in life needs a different puppy than the family who stays home more and leads a sedentary lifestyle. Every breeder should do this and I honestly didn't think to break it down.

You are right though, find out for sure how this breeder handles the waiting list and how they do the matching. We can not predict what kinda puppy is going to be available for each litter, nor how long it will be before we have a pup that suits your needs. I would also ask how long you are kept on the list and if they contact you before removing your name. Just a thought.
Ok thanks for ur replies, i thought its prob slightly different for each breeder so was just checking!
I will ask the breeder wat way she does it, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts