Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing research and reading how it can be better for a dog's kidneys to add water to their kibble I started adding water to Jaxx's food.
When there was no water on the kibble Jaxx would hardly ever finish his food. Every once in a blue moon he would but it was a rarity. I had been getting to the point that I was wondering if he was eating enough.
Since I started adding water to his food he gobbles up his food and most of the time even eats at his bowl now (before he would always bring his food in his mouth in front of us and eat in the living room.)
It has me wondering what is the difference. Why does he suddenly act like his food is the best food ever when without water he ate but not like now?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yup I would think the water just enhances the flavor a bit, most kibbles have a flavor/fat spray to enhance the flavor; when water is added it kinda makes it into a gravy. When things are wet, they have a stronger odor too; so might make it more enticing.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I used to add water to Zoey's food but she get a mouth full and carry it to the carpet spit it out and eat it there and it would stain the carpet so I quit adding water.:foxes15:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to add water to Zoey's food but she get a mouth full and carry it to the carpet spit it out and eat it there and it would stain the carpet so I quit adding water.:foxes15:
I would definitely stop for that reason as well. Jaxx from the time we got him would bring his food into the living room and eat it until I started adding water to it. Now he stands at his bowl and woofs it down. I would love to feed him RAW but I am afraid he will go back to carrying his food to the living room and the thought of having raw meat on my carpet is not something I could deal with. I am thinking though perhaps now that he has started eating at his bowl if he gets used to do it then I might try RAW and see if he would stay with the bowl and eat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.