Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bosco is doing typical puppy things like nibbling on anything he can get his teeth on and having the occasional accident in the house. I know some of the accidents are my fault - not paying enough attention and whatnot - but some are definitely him being a cheeky lil monkey. (for instance, going wee on his piddle pad, immediately walking off the piddle pad and pooing.)

Anyway I am thinking of getting a spray water bottle and squirting him when he does something bad. Have any of you used this method to help train your dog? I give him praise whenever he does something good but saying "NO!" when he does something bad isn't really having any affect on him.

Advice?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I would not use the water bottle method when it comes to potty training.....it has been said that some dogs wont poo where they pee. Scolding will only make them more upset, their goal is to please you. I did use the water bottle method when I was crate training him. If he whined and whined when we went to sleep he got a shot. Never took more than two shots to quiet him. They must not see where the water is coming from. That way they think they are causing it to happen with the action. (that is what they said anyway) whatever it worked. I only had to do it like three different times. I would keep saying "NO!" and re-direct his attention to something else. If he is biting then you can say "ouch" act hurt and stop playing w/him. Withdrawing your attention from him when he does something that displeases you will show him that it is not OK.....Potty training on the other hand may never be 100% w/chi's.....
At any rate Kemo is very very hard headed......may a boy chi trait LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts