Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend just got a new puppy. the puppy is not drinking lots of water. the breeder said that's ok because the puppy is getting water from the wet food. the puppy is peeing regularly. the vet also said that's ok because puppy's must acquire a taste for water. does this info sound right. the puppy isn't a chi, its a shi-tzu.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Not sure about the "acquired taste for water". But yes, wet food does have quite a bit of water content, and if we are peeing regularly it should be fine. What I do with dogs that are reluctant to drink water, is to add some water and mix it with the wet food to increase the water content if they are not drinking on their own, this way you know they are at least getting SOME water and it provides peace of mind and a little hydration. Always keep a fresh bowl of water available and monitor it so you know if the dog is drinking from it.

Sometimes dogs have to be taught "how" to drink from a bowl, in which case you can try putting something tempting in a bowl like apple juice or pedialyte and see if the dog likes it. It will learn how to drink from the bowl, and you can exchange the apple juice for water.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
When Gadget was younger I had to teach him to drink water... I would put water in a spoon and he would lick it... finally he figured out how to lick it up into his mouth... It only took me a few times to get him to drink out of a bowl...

I do know that in the morning he doesn't drin k that much water, but in the afternoon he starts drinking and he doesn't stop until late at night... he will go through 2 bowls of water a day...

The problem I have with him is he has the bowls that are connected together and he will eat and drink out of the one in the bedroom. But he hates to eat out of the one in the livingroom... he will only eat out of it after I put some of his food on the floor first...

He loves eating out of the bowl we got him for his canned food.. So I put a bowl done for water and changed his dry food over to the other dish and he loves it.. it is weird how they think...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts