Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still waiting on the other samples to come in the mail but we did get HK in the mail yesterday! yay!!! :hello1: We're going to try and see if they like it.....Shayley is the picky one so we'll see how it goes! Wish us luck!:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Valerie!

We went with the Chicken, Vegs, and Fruit (Green package)......:roll: They were not even close to being interested in this at all! I don't get it! NOT even Kizzie! What? :tard: My girl that eats ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! Shayley I could understand but Kizzie? That's rare! :foxes15: I'll try another flavor tomorrow but no luck with the first batch!​

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Pip and Roo were exactly the same when I first tired them on it. The first time they refused to eat it. The second time Roo took a tiny nibble but that was it. Now they LOVE it! Go figure. Good luck on your next try. :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pip and Roo were exactly the same when I first tired them on it. The first time they refused to eat it. The second time Roo took a tiny nibble but that was it. Now they LOVE it! Go figure. Good luck on your next try. :)
I still have it out for them....thinking maybe they might want some interest in it later! lol We'll see! Little monkeys! I really am shocked Kizzie turned it down though! She would eat dirt if I let her..... :tard:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You can try adding chicken to it to get them to try it. My chi loves preference and force and I'm going to see how she likes Thrive. I mix can salmon sometimes and chicken other times. Sometime I add a hard boiled egg.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read that too! I was going to do that and see if it helped. I tried picking at it myself to handfeed them just to give it a go....they licked the juice but that was it. I tried giving them a small piece not sure what it was they didn't like it, I tried another small piece of something and Kizzie turned her head in ugh LOL So that was a big fail....*sigh* I will try the chopped chicken and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
They might just not be accustomed to that form of food and aren't really sure that's what's for dinner. All three of mine were very hesitant to eat their Honest Kitchen for the first few nights. Once they got used to it they loved it and chow down like there's no tomorrow. I wouldn't give up on it just yet, it took about a week for my three to really get into THK.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
they licked the juice but that was it.
When you say juice, it makes me think you may possibly be making it too liquidy? I did that too initially and it really put mine off. I let it hydrate for about 10 minutes and give it a stir, it's definitely not liquidy and they like it much more that way. So maybe using a little less water might be worth a try? :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They might just not be accustomed to that form of food and aren't really sure that's what's for dinner. All three of mine were very hesitant to eat their Honest Kitchen for the first few nights. Once they got used to it they loved it and chow down like there's no tomorrow. I wouldn't give up on it just yet, it took about a week for my three to really get into THK.
I was hoping that was it too! We kept it down but still nothing....Today we tried the other packet.....it was a fail LOL

When you say juice, it makes me think you may possibly be making it too liquidy? I did that too initially and it really put mine off. I let it hydrate for about 10 minutes and give it a stir, it's definitely not liquidy and they like it much more that way. So maybe using a little less water might be worth a try? :)
It was a little juicy but not bad....the directions said to put much more in than I did I figured that would be way too water for some reason....which it would have been to ME ...the girls didn't like their Thrive either :( I made it for them today and well they did some sniffling but that was it! *sigh* Funny thing is the STRAY dog we have in here right now got to their bowls and ate both of the bowls right now....that little stinker! He usually just sleeps and when I came back upstairs he was eating it I was like oh crap! lol But oh well at least somebody ate it! I even did the trick I do to Kizzie when I feed the birds...she gets mad and doesn't want to share well today she didn't even care the birds could have all the HK they wanted if I would have done it she wan't gonna stop me! LOL

I was wondering if any of you have any good sites I could look for making my own dog food that you recommend! I tried the chop chicken they ate around it....I'm pretty sure the girls won't go for HK so now I"m waiting on the other two to send me my samples...which haven't arrived yet... WHO knows if I'll get them lol HK had my address right but instead of MO for Missouri they had MS.......glad they got my zipcode right or I'd never have it! lol Any good sites for homemade dog food would be great though I need to try something else than this stuff they are eating. I'm bummed though I really was hoping they liked this HK ...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck! I hope they end up liking them! I just looked at the website. I think I'm going to have to order some now!
Good luck! Everybody elses pup seems to like it. I just have one picky girl and I have no idea why my "I eat everything dog" doesn't like it....maybe it's new and different but I still have one package left! I'm going to see how that goes!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think you shouldn't give up yet ;) They are stubborn little things, and many, many dogs don't quite get it at first...what else are you gonna give a try to?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you shouldn't give up yet ;) They are stubborn little things, and many, many dogs don't quite get it at first...what else are you gonna give a try to?
I emailed Orijen and Ziwipeak I haven't heard anything from them but hopefully I'll get a sample. I don't want to buy it and waste it lol! Shayley is very stubborn! I KNEW I'd have a hard time with Shay Shay wanting this food ..I'm almost certain she won't eat it...believe me! LOL I know she won't! Kizzie eats anything and everything so I'm a little shocked by that ...this dog has never turned food down so I'm sure if they were interested they would show some sign but nothing and i've kept it out for them....still nothing ugh! Hopefully they will like the other stuff we get if they send samples if not I don't know what to do.....Guess we'll try to make our own food and cut down on the SD and can food. I'm bad at looking at whats in the food....I tend to not read if I don't have to! lol Esp when it comes to things I have no clue about..... I hate to keep feeding them this if it's bad but hopefully that will change! I still have one package of the HK so we'll give that ago!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let them get a little hungry and try making only less than 1 tablespoon for each...?
I didn't make much for them and picked up their hard stuff.....I let them get hungry still not wanting it. I don't mind that they don't like it, I just want them to eat something better. . .Maybe this just isn't for them. I know you all say yours didn't like it at first either but now they like it? Is that because you let them go without eating? Until they tried it? I know it won't kill my girls to do that but I just think if they were interested Kizzie would try it because believe me I know her, she eats anything under the sun lol I didn't think I'd have any luck with Shayley ... are the other foods like HK? or are they different looking as well?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I just let them go a meal or two. Your girls are also used to being free-fed, too, I think, if I recall correctly? So they have no mentality whatsoever of "needing" to eat when food is available, especially if its something new and odd. They definitely don't have to like it, but I just know how many were unsure at first and now dance around and whine and shake they are so excited while it's getting ready :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just let them go a meal or two. Your girls are also used to being free-fed, too, I think, if I recall correctly? So they have no mentality whatsoever of "needing" to eat when food is available, especially if its something new and odd. They definitely don't have to like it, but I just know how many were unsure at first and now dance around and whine and shake they are so excited while it's getting ready :)
They get free-fed not like crazy but yes they do! lol I know I could go a meal or two but I really feel bad doing that...I know it won't kill them but I wouldn't want to be forced a meal I didn't like....esp with how Kizz is she would chow it down if she did....I felt happy when Shayley turned to SD :foxes15: now I wish I wouldn't have done that.....

I like how everybody talks about feeding new food and raw how happy the Chis get when it's feeding time! That's so cute! Kizzie gets so happy when it's feeding time even with her "not so good" food! She goes nuts! Shayley will do a butt dance too but Kizzie will run through the house and if there is anything on the floor it will be tore up because she's so happy lol....imagine that kinda excitement with even better food! LOL That girl will have TOO MUCH energy LOL! But I"m ready for it! I want her to have the best! I'm thinking about ordering the food online! I'm kinda thinking they aren't going to send a sample since I haven't heard back from them? Oh well we'll see! I just want them to enjoy their food and it be healthy....Like I keep saying LOL (Sounding like a broken record here) Kizzie eats anything so I think if she really enjoyed HK she'd eat it....she's not though. So we'll try that last pack and see how it goes...hey I would even be happy if she gave a LITTLE interest and had a baby lick on her own but I'm getting nothing from her! I wish the stray ...(which has a name from us now and are probably going to keep lol) wouldn't have got their food so I could have kept it down...I made that one even better than the first I thought lol Maybe that's why he liked it! lol Thanks hon for the help and talking with me! I know we all want the best for our babies!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I just have one question....carrots or french fries? Which would you make a human child eat? If they ONLY wanted to eat french fries would you let them?

I had a phase when I was 7 where the ONLY THING I wanted to eat was white bread with raspberry jam on it.

I just think you need to decide what they will eat that you feel is good for them, and go with it. They get no say, they don't know. I know that's hard to think about doing but really it would benefit them the most. I'm not saying stick w/ THK but I am saying pick a food that has gotten good reviews, you can pronounce the ingredients, and that gets at least a 4 star rating, and let your girls tough it out. I just think you need to pick 1-2 things, and go with one for a week, followed by a different one. Offering quite a few different things in a short period of time will only make it worse.

In the mean time you can keep offering them what they are used to, of course, but I would stop free feeding as that will sabotage any efforts you make at getting them on something healthier.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.