Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took Cin to a new doggie meet-up group in our area. It was about an hour ride for us on the bus...but it was a dress-up Halloween costume party so I thought it'd be a great opportunity to go meet some new people. I regularly take her to another group, but i wanted to broaden our horizons a bit! I made Cin a little pilot's hat and goggles and had a red scarf...then I put a black spot on her back and she was flying aces Snoopy! I'll post pics when I can...

Anyway, we got to the place--it was a small dog daycare. It was nice, the owners were very nice as well. Cin was having a great time running around trying to play with the other dogs. Slowly more and more people came and it was jam packed! Which was fine. Cinder is a VERY social little girl and loves hanging with other dogs. She's never been in a fight or even a tiny little scrap with another dog. She's sweet and playful with everyone, but also a teeny bit reserved so no one ever sees her as a 'threat.'

Anyway, I was watching as she was walking by this boston terrier and he just snapped or something. He went after her and was attacking her. =( Cinder just screamed and tried to run away. She's not a fighter. I was like stuck behind ALL these people and couldn't even get to Cin. Luckily people were trying to stop the boston and he got distracted and turned and went after a different, bigger, dog. Blah. So eventually I pushed through the crowd and got to Cin. She was FREAKED. She's really sensitive unfortunately. Then I saw she was bleeding on her lip. It was bleeding pretty good but not HORRIBLE or anything, so I was like...oh she's fine. So I put her down and tried to get her to play with the other dogs again....

HECK NO...she wouldn't have any of that. She kept jumping on me over and over and begging to be picked up, so I did and I noticed that her nose/muzzle area was a bit swollen and scratched up too, so he got her pretty good. And she didn't want me to just hold her. She had to literally sit ON my shoulder! All four paws on my shoulder. OMG it was horrible after that. She can really be a huge baby sometimes, but I felt so bad for her. She was even scared of all the people and she never is scared of people. I tried a couple times to put her down but she'd jump on me repeatedly or sit with her back in a corner all freaked out. So I just took her home. I was so upset and disappointed and unreasonably angry at the other dog owners/dog. I guess what bugged me was that no one asked me if she was okay or even CARED that a dog attacked her for no reason.

Anyway, she's fine now and there's no permanent or horrible damage done to her physically, I'm just worried about the mental ramifications. Hopefully when I take her to her 'usual' dog meet she won't be scared and will be happy and playful as usual. If not...ugh! We have a lot of re-socializing to do. =/

Sorry for the ramble, I just had to share with people who would understand!!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I'm so sorry that this happened to cinder, I posted a thread a few days ago showing pics of honey healing from her dog attack. Your lucky he is ok, It could have been much much worse.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Wowwwew! Poor cin! Geez wha a meanie boston creme doughnut! :( did u atleast see the idiotic owner or did the owner even say sorry...god! I wouldve personally yelled at the owner tellin him or her to train their dog right or dont bring it to a dog meetin...dogs dont usually snap out of nowhere on other dogs unless theres sumthin wrong wif them...god! Im sorry u had to go thru sumthin like that. It mustve hurt so much to see ur chi cry and then see her bleed a bit. The slightest thing sifferent on dexter would make me paranoid. I think u should take her to the vet just to make sure the dog didnt have nethin seein that it was crazed and all! Hope u have a better day today and hope cinder is feelin much better :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
glad she is ok :) , unfortunately some people shouldnt take their dogs to doggie outings (not meaning you) , one day that dog will pick on the wrong dog .

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would have insisted on having the owner's name and phone number in case some injury showed up later. Also would have made it clear I would hold the owner responsible if my dog had any injury. Might make the owner think twice about taking the silly Boston terrier out in public again or learning to control it. The owner of the place where you were should have been concerned, too, and wanted the identity of the owner. That dog should not be allowed to come there again!

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Poor little sweetheart.
Ive heard so many horror stories
from people experiencing the same thing
on outings.I cant risk Dahlia getting hurt
at 3 lbs and not sure if Id ever go to one.
She thinks shes a great dane!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I am so sorry this happened to little Cinder. Unfortunately I haven't met a boston terrier yet that is 'reliable' with other dogs, we had to for adoption a while back and they were brothers/littermates and they would even get in fights with each other. They really should have screened the other dogs or something. We have daycare at work and we make sure each dog is screened (introduced to a well behaved dog who has passed already) prior to introducing them to another group. In daycare situations you really have to 'know' your breeds as well, such as my sisters scottish terrier can be kind of 'snarky' she doesn't attack but she is too much for some dogs, so she has to come to daycare on certain days. We have a pug/beagle mix for adoption and she is really bossy so again we have to make sure the 'group' of little dogs is a good fit.

This is probably going to leave some scars on Cinder emotionally, if there is a 'great' group or a few other dogs whom you KNOW won't snap like that, in a few weeks I would take her and make sure to make it positive for her, praise her when she's brave etc. Zoey is a lot more cautious since Georgie's attack.
My neighbor has a little rat terrier that Zoey has played with, now she doesn't want hardly anything to do with him.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Poor baby....such a friendly little girl and then this has to happen... Just slowly take her back into familiar surroundings and just start out with a very small crowd. She'll get the hang of it again..may take awhile so be patient, but if she is a normally a social little girl, she will be ok.
I have trouble with my Dazy sometimes...She is a nervous dog and barks so I usually cannot take her to be around crowds because she does not react well.
But Lulubelle is better, although somewhat shy she is better behaved:)
Hope your little girl is ok and keep us posted.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'm so sorry poor little Cin had to go through that and that you had to! For that reason, I always keep my dog on leash in that kind of environment. It scares me that something could happen and I'd not be able to get to them. I know you are a great chi mom and I'm sorry you had to deal with that...I would gently re-introduce her to what she knows is safe and fun...and stay away from those boston's!!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh Poor little thing, I am so sorry. Our friends have 2 Bostons and I do not trust them at all. They always pick fights with other dogs. We go camping with them on occ and I dont let Zoey out if the are out. I just don't trust them.
Poor little Cin give her *hugs* for me...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Aww..poor thing.. This is the reason I will not take any of my dogs to dog outings, ever. Sure I would love to..I'm sure it'd be great to socialize with friendly dogs..but as you've experienced there's always that one and that one can do so much physically AND mentally.

When one of my shepherds was attacked by my mothers chow she became a completely different dog around other dogs. It took ALOT of time to finally start seeing her act how she did before the attack when it came to greeting other dogs but she will never be the same; always timid and very submissive instead of openly playfull...etc.

The only time I would let any of mine play with other dogs if it is someone I know who has a dog that is under control and dog friendly.

To me it's just not worth the worst that can happen.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor thing! So sorry you both had to go through that! :(

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
So sorry you and her had to go through this.She with time should get better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am so sorry!!! I had a dog attack Frankie at the dog park. REALLY ticked me off because the owner was like nowhere in sight. I guess she had her daughter playing w/ the dog while she was at the car or something... I'm not "racist" against any breed, but it was a Pit Bull. Funny thing is, I had still considered pit bulls even after that but went with a Chi instead! Now I will never go back to the dog park, and definitely NEVER with my Chi's. I would never take my dog anywhere where other dogs are off leashes. They just cannot be trusted unless you KNOW the other dogs...

I hope your little one goes back to her usual playful self! Just take it slow!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! Yeah, it was just no fun. I'm usually really understanding about these things. I mean I had a cattle dog mix before who was prone to stir things up. She wouldn't pick fights but she didn't communicate as well with other dogs so sometimes there would be misunderstandings. So I DO understand that these things happen and its a risk you take. I just don't like the fact that it came from no where to a dog that would never provoke it. The other dog meet I usually go to only has chis, yorkies and sometimes poms. There is a rare other breed thrown in at times...but I never have problems there. So I'll just stick to that meet-up from now on. Cinder is fine now and has healed up well. I haven't been able to take her out to another meet or even to the park to see how she acts as I haven't been well, but I will soon and see how she reacts. I feel bad for her sometimes because she loves the company of other dogs and misses her sister. I would love to get another but its just not the right time. So the meet-ups are really for her well-being socially!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm so sorry... that must have been so upsetting! :(

I think sticking w/ the toy dog meetup for awhile is a good idea...

Sending warm virtual *hugs* to your little munchkin!

~Monica

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
That would be my worst nightmare to see Red or Jake being attacked, I too would have taken the dog owners details incase an infection materialised and vet treatment was required.
The organisers should also have taken a record of what happened and all injuries.

I do hope this hasn't effected Cin mentally and she gets over it.

(((HUGS)))

Deme x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts