Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut a small piece of beef in half to give Lion and Penny as a snack. Penny normally tears her food into smaller pieces, but this time she swallowed it whole. There was no bone, but I knew something was wrong right away because she started frantically running in circles. She ran wildly across the room and then started screaming in pain. She was obviously choking so I tried to hold up her back legs and pat her back to help her get it out. Eventually she swallowed it, but it was sooo terrifying because I was scared she would die and there was nothing I could do. Her gums were pale white after, probably from the shock. I gave her some NutriCal and a treat which will hopefully bring her back to normal.

I am afraid to feed raw again. I couldn't stand to lose either of my chis because of something I fed them. If you were me, would you continue to feed raw or just quit altogether? I would switch them to ZiwiPeak if I quit.

Thanks...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would be scared too! How awful! But the fact that she could scream meant her airway wasn't blocked. It probably just was too big of a piece and felt like it was 'stuck' on the way down which scared her.

If she were mine, no, I wouldn't let that incident sway me from feeding the best diet there is. Dogs choke on kibble. They choke on water. They choke on dirt. It happens. It's scary, but it's just one of those things.

This is a valuable lesson. Penny should be fed either very large (big as her head) or very small tiny pieces. Not the in between stuff that can get lodged on the way down. There are many, many raw fed dogs who have the same problem. Gulping can be a problem, especially in greedy breeds like labs. Those owners either feed very large complicated pieces, or something very small. Even then, dogs can choke on small pieces. It is certainly a learning curve.

So sorry. I know you must have been terrified. I'm so glad that Penny is OK now.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just thought this would be a good place to post this info.....

It's really important that we all know what to do if our dog is choking. The heimlich manuever can be performed on dogs. This post is a timely reminder that we should ALL know how to do this in case of a choking incident.....

Heimlich For Your Dog - Page 1

As noted in the article, if your dog is barking, screaming, yelping, etc. their airway is NOT blocked. Do NOT do this procedure if your dog has a clear airway, as it could cause serious injury (broken or perforated ribs for example). However, if the dog is actually choking, they will eventually pass out and this manuever may save their lives.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
UGH...so know what you went through. Marley has a sever underbite & as a result he is a HORRIBLE chewer (and I believe his esophagus is really narrow as it doesn't take a large piece to be too big for him) & has been in the same situation as you went through several times. (I don't think they're choking as much as it being stuck in their esophagus & being incredibly slow going down.) I now hold his raw food if it's served in chunks. I personally wouldn't serve a large boneless pieces just because it is so easy to gulp (I always cut in small pieces). But boney meals of his I hold while he eats. Too much to risk otherwise.

I'd still feed raw but take precautions as you know you have a potential gulper on your hands. Work with her on chewing again and/or give her really large pieces of meat & take it away when it becomes a choking risk. I find it easier to just hand feed myself...and use more grinds. But I don't want to cut boney meals out all together as that would take the dental benefit away....

I'm sorry you went through that though--it really is scary seeing them in such distress. :(

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I have treats for Amberleah the ones I have been giving her where very soft and small. I ran out and had some not as small and chewy not soft. She grabbed it and swallowed the whole thing and was caught. Scared me to death. . i cut them in tiny peaces ans smashed them.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your reassurance! I will be cutting her food up smaller until she gets the hang of chewing it. I really don't want that to happen again...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Zippy is missing his front teeth so he can't rip. I cut all of his meat into very small bite-sized pieces with the kitchen shears before giving it to him to avoid any choking issues. So far, this has worked very well and we haven't had any choking to worry about.

EDIT - I snip the tops (joints) off of chicken legs too and then cut them in half as well for the same reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts