Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Lion and Penny on a walk today at the park right outside of my apartment complex, where we go every day. While I was walking by the little picnic tables, I noticed some kids (probably middle school aged) setting off fireworks, so I tried to walk quickly by. One of the lovely children proceeded to throw a crackling, screaming firework right in my direction! Needless to say, Lion and Penny were terrified. I wanted to march up there and say something, but the dogs were so scared and pulling towards home on their leashes. What a way to ruin a walk! I am not looking forward to Monday when there will be many more fireworks. Is anyone else dreading the 4th of July?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Awwww poor Lion and Penny. I think fireworks should be restricted to the big shows cities put on. So many people get hurt and every year houses burn down. So it is not of my favorite Holidays. I did love them at disney land though...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I am lucky, none of my dogs care about the noise, at least none that I had last July. We will see how the newer ones do. I had a huge male GSD that would get so scared, he would hide in the bath tub behind the curtain.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Aww poor babies, my poms where so scared of fireworks. We live in forest and neighbors always shooting guns and that scared them so much. i try now to make it a fun thing with Amberleah when there is a loud noise. She already hates vac.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There has been fireworks once since I've had Daisy. She was asleep in my bed and they started, she didn't seem really scared just startled I think. She didn't go back to sleep while they were still going, she just kept looking around all confused. She is used to things like the hoover and hairdryer though, so she is used to loud sounds.

What those kids did was horrible, especially since they scared your little babies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Chip has an issue with loud noises...it's made me start to wonder if he was abused or traumatized in some way, since I don't know how the rest of his life has gone. About three weeks ago I took him to my friend's house way out in the country (I train/ride her horses for her) on the day of their town's parade, and to get him ready for the massive firework show I brought him over with me to where her granddaughter was using a pellet gun to shoot cans inside of a big pot. Every time she loaded the gun or shot it off, Chip would whine and squirm and try as hard as could to get away or hide his face. I took him back to his crate and let him calm down, and when the fireworks started, I put a blanket over his crate and put the whole thing inside her bathroom. He was shaking and absolutely terrified...wouldn't take treats, didn't want to be petted, etc. He does this with all loud noises...vacuums and hairdryers make him scream. The first time I took him to the groomer's, they called me to come get him early because apparently he had leapt off the table when the hairdryer started (I guess it's bigger than your normal hairdryer?) and was now limping. His leg had fixed itself afterwards, but every once in a while he'll jerk it up like he has a LP issue. My town, although small, is known for its 4th of July fair and fireworks, so I don't know what I'll do. The people around me have already started to set small ones off, and it sends Chip running EVERY time :(

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Roxy has yet to hear fireworks. So, we shall see after this weekend! But I have two labs as well. Bailey is 10 now. She never had a problem with loud noises until just a few years ago. Now, she's TERRIFIED of thunder and fireworks. My parents found firework wrappers and the blown up pieces of similar things in our backyard one day. Our neighbors next door would set fireworks and things off of their deck. We think they shot some off into our yard while Bailey was out there. The only thing we can come up with. Why else would she just one day randomly become scared of them if nothing happened? Like I said, we found things in our yard too. So, I believe they did. She now shakes, pants, drools, and pees EVERY TIME there are loud noises. She shakes for hours. She also goes into the basement bathroom and closes herself in there. I think she likes it because it's small, dark, and cold. Even if the noises have stopped, she'll continue to shake for hours.

We have tried putting a t-shirt on her, but it's a hassle because she's so big! I don't know if you've ever heard of this technique. But, it is said to help. They have special shirts you can get for them. We also put the TV's on, as well as music to drown out the fireworks. This works well! I'd also make sure their crates or something is available to them if they want. :)

I hope everything goes well over the weekend for you guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts