Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our girls finally settled on naming their puppy "Stella" after the doggie that we rescued. She's doing really well. We took her in to the vet and got her first shots and deworming. At 12 weeks she weighed BARELY 2 pounds on the dot, according to the growth charts she should be around 4 pounds full grown, the vet said 6, so we will see when she's full grown. Either way she should be a tiny little thing!

I am curious though, she has started barking, I'd like to nip it in the bud early on and teach her to not be a big barker. How do I go about training her not to bark all the time?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH, I almost forgot, where can I get a collar small enough for her? LOL I bought the smallest one I could find and she's still too little for it! ;)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Great choice of name! I share my name with several Chihuahuas on this forum already :)
When and why is she barking? If she is just excitable, ignore her when she barks, give her attention when she is quiet. This is very effective with puppies. I have trained whole litters not to bark by simply leaving the room when they barked, and only returning when they are quiet.
Where are you based? That will help in locating a teeny tiny collar. You will probably need a teeny tiny harness too.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I love the name! I also saw her pic in the newbie thread. She is ADORABLE!

Just as Stella said (the person!), I would ignore her when she's barking and only pay her attention when she's quiet. This means don't even look at her while she barks. Just leave her alone and return once she has stopped. She should then understand that barking will not earn her your attention.

You can try looking for kitten/ferret collars and harnesses for your little girl. Make sure that you don't use a collar for walking. Only walk her with a harness.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Congrats on finding a name! I like the name Stella.

I can't help you on the bark problem, mine barely barks at 5 months! lol

Have you measured her neck? The smallest size of collar I seen are 6". I have trouble finding a collar for mine and I have to go to the break-away cat collars at pet smart or the brand called lil pals. Those break away cat collars are very cute too btw.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
A kitten or ferret harness is best for a teeny little one. Also, kitten collars. I would recommend a harness for walking her though. Kitten and ferret harnesses are available at most pet supply stores.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She usually barks when she's playing in the kitchen (which is her space for when we aren't able to watch her) - she's too tiny to have roam free in the house. We are in the Vancouver, WA area. I'd love to make my own doggie clothes too at some point, but we shall see how that goes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey, nice name. I also have a Stella! :D

If my girl starts barking while she plays, I just stop playing with her for a few seconds. Just totally turn away. She'll learn to associate barking with no more play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts