Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parker started having watery diarrhea Friday, so I took her off food and waited to settle her stomach for 24 hours. Started her on chicken and rice yesterday and she perked up last night and even played with her brothers. I was also syringing liquids in her, too. This morning when I woke up, I could tell something was wrong. So off to the emergancy vet. Well, she has parvo. She had 2 of her puppy shots, the third was due last week, but things were so crazy here, they were going in tomorrow. She's not vomiting, doesn't have a fever and she doesn't have bloody poop, so I guess that's good signs. She may just have a mild case. She got some SQ IV fluids and antibiotics and is in a large crate in the bathroom for now. The other three went in to be looked over and get their last set of shots, but they look ok so far. I have been racking my brain, wondering how they could have gotten it because they have never left the property or come in contact with any other dog. Then I remembered, they got a new puppy next door that they love the play with through the fence. Either that or somehow I tracked it in on my shoes, though I am very careful not to track poop in on my shoes for just this reason.

So, I need prayers and good thoughts that Parker gets better and the the boys don't contract it. I'm scared, but optimistic at this time. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Poor little Parker! Sounds like she is a little fighter and will pull through and hopefully your other little guys are not infected. I find it so odd that she got it after 2 vaccinations, some countries only have a 2 vaccine protocol altogether. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Pam, I am sorry about Parker. The good thing is that she was healthy and strong to begin with, as are th others, so hopefully that will make a difference. You may also want to research Tamiflu. My brother - in- law had some success twice with pups from the pound that it helped.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm so sorry. My mom had a puppy that had parvo after his shots, and she nursed him back, and he survived. He was in worse shape too, but if he can I'm sure Parker can. I don't what else to say. Maybe it can give you some hope. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It's good that you caught it early. Hopefully, having two of the shots made it a lighter case maybe? You did everything right. I'll be thinking about all of you!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oh noooo :( I hope she makes it...I will say a prayer for her. Now that Parvo has been in your home it can live there for 1+ years so be sure to clean, clean, clean with bleach everything you can as often as you can to hopefully snag it all incase you have another litter of rescue puppies.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Bloody Nora, all fingers & paws are crossed for you here!!! And to think I wasn't going to worry about their 3rd shots, believing they were covered - may just rethink that idea real quick!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry to hear this I hope Parker pulls through and that none of the others get it.

Do they use live vaccines in your country?

Years ago, it must be around 27 years now, I had two dobies that were vaccinated with Kavak live vaccine. Both contracted parvo. I managed to get the little bitch through it with brain damage but I lost the her huge brother within 3 days! It's heartwrenching to see them suffer.

To be honest I've not vaccinated LeStat, as he's so tiny, or the JRT puppy I have and luckily neither have had any illness's at all that vaccines could have prevented.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Poor little Parker! Sounds like she is a little fighter and will pull through and hopefully your other little guys are not infected. I find it so odd that she got it after 2 vaccinations, some countries only have a 2 vaccine protocol altogether. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Thank you. It all depends on the antibody load they get from the mom. If they get a large load, it takes longer to drop low enough for the vacine to kick in.

Pam, I am sorry about Parker. The good thing is that she was healthy and strong to begin with, as are th others, so hopefully that will make a difference. You may also want to research Tamiflu. My brother - in- law had some success twice with pups from the pound that it helped.
I looked it up, I will discuss it with the vet tomorrow when we go back for her SQ IV fluids again. It looks promising. Thank you for the info.

I'm so sorry. My mom had a puppy that had parvo after his shots, and she nursed him back, and he survived. He was in worse shape too, but if he can I'm sure Parker can. I don't what else to say. Maybe it can give you some hope. Keep us posted.
Thank you for your story, it does help. I have never had to deal with paro before. I have lost dogs in the family to distemper, but parvo is something new to me. You hear the diagnosis an you immediately think it's hopeless, thank you for showing that it can be overcome.

Prayers for you and little Parker. Hope it is only a mild case and that she will be ok.
Thank you, I appreciate the prayers. I'm sitting here trying not to cry.

Sorry to hear this. I will keep your pups in my thoughts and prayers
Thank you.

Best wishes to you and Parker. I hope she gets better soon!
Thank you.

It's good that you caught it early. Hopefully, having two of the shots made it a lighter case maybe? You did everything right. I'll be thinking about all of you!
Thank you. Yeah, the vet said that catching it early before she got really debilitated was good. And maybe since she had the two shots they would help.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Oh noooo :( I hope she makes it...I will say a prayer for her. Now that Parvo has been in your home it can live there for 1+ years so be sure to clean, clean, clean with bleach everything you can as often as you can to hopefully snag it all incase you have another litter of rescue puppies.
Thank you, I hope she does, too. I have already looked up the best concentraton of cleaning agents to clean the entire dog room and the outside patios. I have a list for tomorrow. And I will be sure no puppies for at least two years or more, just in case.

I hope she will be alright. I don't know much about parvovirus, but you and Parker are in my thoughts.
Thank you.

Bloody Nora, all fingers & paws are crossed for you here!!! And to think I wasn't going to worry about their 3rd shots, believing they were covered - may just rethink that idea real quick!
It depends on the when the mom's antibodies drop. They could even get all three and still not be covered, that is why they suggest, even if you believe in minimal vacinations, to get the one year booster, too.

I am keeping that wee girl in my prayers....hope she is feeling better today....
Thank you, she was sitting up the last time I was in there and it looks like she took some water. And there's been no diarrhea since this morning.

i'm hoping all will be ok
Thank you.

Sorry to hear this I hope Parker pulls through and that none of the others get it.

Do they use live vaccines in your country?

Years ago, it must be around 27 years now, I had two dobies that were vaccinated with Kavak live vaccine. Both contracted parvo. I managed to get the little bitch through it with brain damage but I lost the her huge brother within 3 days! It's heartwrenching to see them suffer.

To be honest I've not vaccinated LeStat, as he's so tiny, or the JRT puppy I have and luckily neither have had any illness's at all that vaccines could have prevented.
I would rethink not getting them vacinations. There is a good chance I infected her by bringing in the virus on my shoes or clothing or hands, though I haven't pet any strange animals lately. It is a bad bug that lives for a long time in the grass and soil. I could have brought it back from Petsmart, too.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Could one of your other dogs have maybe tracked it in? Parvo is mean mean virus but it sounds like little Parker will pull thru just fine. You seem to have caught it early but i wilk still definitely send some prayers your way for Parkers recovery.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could one of your other dogs have maybe tracked it in? Parvo is mean mean virus but it sounds like little Parker will pull thru just fine. You seem to have caught it early but i wilk still definitely send some prayers your way for Parkers recovery.
Thank you. The only dogs that leave the house are Pepe and Bouncer, they run around in the front yard. I guess it could very well have been one of them.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It depends on the when the mom's antibodies drop. They could even get all three and still not be covered, that is why they suggest, even if you believe in minimal vacinations, to get the one year booster, too..
Yes, I was vaguely aware about the mom's antibodies and knew that they dwindled as time went by after weaning (therefore it's damn useless shelling out $'s getting them done as early as 6-8 weeks as so many breeders do - far better to quarantine imo).

Mine all had their 1st round of shots at 12-13 weeks and their next (2nd) lot a month later. Only one has had all 3. Not sure about "live" vaccines or not, how do I check, will the labels off the vials stuck on their cards give me an indication at all - Brand name maybe etc?

So, are you saying to get all 3 done and THEN only the 1 year booster and no boosters requ'd after that, or are you saying a booster every year should be done - sorry, I'm easily confused.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts