Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
We think poor Elmo has hurt his back again. My mum and Dad are just back from their cruise on Friday and we had him on the sofa last night and he yelped as if in pain when I picked him up. He did the same a couple of days before but I thought I maybe had poked him accidentally and thought nothing of it.
He is quite cuddly and won't eat much just now and his back was quite twisted when he was walking about earlier. he has managed to potty which he couldn't do last time. Unforunately we have no dog meds for pain left in the house. We are wondering if it is a disc problem and wondering if we should take him to the vets tommorow. He seems to have loosened up a bit now but we are worried.
:confused::(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, I would take him to the vet. They may need to put him on prednisone for inflammation and he may also need something for pain.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Yes, definitely get him to the vet, Disc's are extremely painful & uncomfortable and if not treated they can paralyze the dog.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update- He took a little food at lunchtime and seems a bit brighter and in less pain. I think we will keep a close eye on him the rest of today and tonight and take it from there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

update- Elmo has been to the vets and has indeed pulled a back muscle. He has been put on painkillers. Not as bad as last time he hurt himself thank goodness. He is also to lose weight - he is 2.4 kgs and the vet says he is to go down to 2.
So poor Elmo, diet ans sore back! He seems to back to his old self after his painkiller tonight but we are hoping he dosen't do himself an injury now he feels better prob from the painkiller and overdo it. I thinking maybe we should give it not in the morning but in the evening like tonight?

Kati and Elmo xxxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts