Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a holiday in Sweden today, and it's traditional for people to barbecue and hang out in the day and go out drinking at night. My boyfriend and I would like to go out to a pub with some friends this evening after a barbecue, but I am nervous about leaving Gemma. We'd probably be gone for 3 or 4 hours. She'll be coming with us to the barbecue this afternoon at 4pm until around 8pm, then we'd have to bring her home and head back out around 9 or 10pm. We wouldn't be home until around 1am. Do you think she'd be okay alone at night for that long? We have never left her at night, only during the day. And she's only been home alone for 2 hours maximum. Am I just being a worry-wort? We'd be penning her off in the bedroom with no access to wires or anything she can destroy, just her crate, pad, toys, and water.

We haven't had a night out in a very long time... should we just expect to be cooped up until Gemma's a bit older? She's only 17 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I do think she'd be fine.We still leave the tv on for ours even now when we leave.It's hard leaving,but mommys and daddys need some time away too.And if shes getting to go to the bbq,she will probably be tierd when she gets back and will sleep

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
She will be fine. I work so mine have been left alone during the day since I got them. I do keep them in an ex pen with pee pad and bed. I also give them a couple of toys when I leave and I rotate those so they will have a little variety.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, ladies. I forgot to mention that we also leave the TV on in the living room just for some noise. Hopefully she'll just fall asleep when we get home. If that's the case, I'll put her to bed and maybe we'll even be able to sneak out the door without her waking up.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thanks, ladies. I forgot to mention that we also leave the TV on in the living room just for some noise. Hopefully she'll just fall asleep when we get home. If that's the case, I'll put her to bed and maybe we'll even be able to sneak out the door without her waking up.
Now that sounds so cute,Caitlin!!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
She'd definitely be fine!! Go out & have a great time!! It's good to start early letting her learn how to spend time home alone. Just tell her to go to sleep & you'll be back soon!! Have fun!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh goodness now I feel horrible. I went out with my friends after having Odin at home for a week. I was gone 3hrs and it was at night, when he would(SHOULD) be sleeping so I didn't think it would be that bad...lol. Anyway Have fun tonight!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I'm sure she'll be worn out with all the fun and fuss at the BBQ she'll be like a baby let me go to sleep i've had enough.You go out and don't worry

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
i dont think you are a worry wart...I have the same issue. I cant really take Kalisee out because she isnt done with her shots. I even paid my neice to dog sit one night when my daughter had a theater play at school.. I cant afford doing this every time!

Im sure Gemma will be fine. She will probably be sleeping anyway. Plus she is used to her little pen. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Oh go out and have some fun. You sound like me and I have 2 to keep each other company. Believe me, she will sleep the entire time. I never make it a big issue when I am leaving so they don't get all anxious when I go out the door. Enjoy!!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Have fun! Ha my husband said stick her in your pocket lol! But really she will be fine for a few hours. And you will love the loving you get when you get home.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
lol aw! It's so cute how we are all so scared to leave our babies. I know exactly what you're going through. I do think she will be fine though. Maybe this is overboard, but if you have a webcam you could set up a video thing so you can check it on your cell? Really though, I think she'd be fine! Miya is always asleep when we get home.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
LOL...I leave the radio on..and always have..it's in their room. Mine are left at home alone for odd number of hours depending on work schedules. They do fine. Some playing, but mostly sleeping..and as to sneaking out...ROTFL. I never sneak just telling them bye and be good, see you when I get home from (fill in the blank). That settles them otherwise I'd have crying.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't know what time it is over there, I think you are 9 hours ahead of us. Did you have fun? Was Gemma alright? I bet she slept the whole time and momma was all worried for nothing!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know you have probaly had your nite out but wanted to suggest something I do for my girls when I have to leave them. I own several Kong treat balls (not sure if you would have them in Sweden, but they are available online.

I pre-make them with several layers of goodies and freeze them. Right as I leave I smear peanut butter all over the top of it and put it in their respective areas. By the time the peanut butter is ate the layers are thawing and it keeps them entertained and satisfied for hours, I have even come home to them still working on them.

Kong's are versatile and you can put anything you want in them, if you get the right size for your dog they can't be destroyed and they are dishwasher safe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I put treatsin a puppy sized kong in the morning for Carlos too when I leave for work. He is busy playing with it when I leave.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just wash Carlos' kong out in the sink. I tear up chewy treats and some kong salmon and put in his. I don't use the peanut butter and the messy stuff. I just tear up bites of his treats and pack it in the kong. He has to work and exercise to throw it in the air to get treats to pop out now and then. He loves his. I only fill it when I leave so he is happy as I am headed out. It makes it much easier to leave him..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts